Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th May 2021, 08:58   #21
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Many thanks for the reply, and indeed others who have replied privately. As you point out and is now obvious there is a common thread here relating to power supply issues and I've been given a suggestion to a possible cause/fix.

I saw the option for upgrading the software, but at the time I was using 0004 rather than 0006 (the 04 is an original disc/the 06 a burnt copy) and I was unsure about the risk of updating the software with 0006 - I know my limitations. But if it's safe, even in my hands, then I'll try once the car is mobile.

I don't have Rave anymore as I gave it to a friend in need thinking that as I have the printed library I didn't really need it. But my library dates from 1999 and doesn't include the 1.8. We also have a ZS180 at home so perhaps it's time to order a recent copy of Rave.

I'm sure, in your hands, the T4 is a very reliable machine and a better alternative to Toaf especially reading the 1.8T. It's just that Toaf always connects 10 of 10 times, the T4 1 of 10 times so perhaps you understand my preference. However I've been given suggestions on how to improve that too so hopefully the only T4 that I know of in private hands in Sweden will see less dust on it and hopefully provide help to other members in the near future.

Keep well

ps. Note to self - must ask Arctic how to make the T4 more mobile (transportable).
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2021, 11:57   #22
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Many thanks for the reply, and indeed others who have replied privately. As you point out and is now obvious there is a common thread here relating to power supply issues and I've been given a suggestion to a possible cause/fix.

I saw the option for upgrading the software, but at the time I was using 0004 rather than 0006 (the 04 is an original disc/the 06 a burnt copy) and I was unsure about the risk of updating the software with 0006 - I know my limitations. But if it's safe, even in my hands, then I'll try once the car is mobile.

I don't have Rave anymore as I gave it to a friend in need thinking that as I have the printed library I didn't really need it. But my library dates from 1999 and doesn't include the 1.8. We also have a ZS180 at home so perhaps it's time to order a recent copy of Rave.

I'm sure, in your hands, the T4 is a very reliable machine and a better alternative to Toaf especially reading the 1.8T. It's just that Toaf always connects 10 of 10 times, the T4 1 of 10 times so perhaps you understand my preference. However I've been given suggestions on how to improve that too so hopefully the only T4 that I know of in private hands in Sweden will see less dust on it and hopefully provide help to other members in the near future.

Keep well

Quote:
ps. Note to self - must ask Arctic how to make the T4 more mobile (transportable).
Hi Mike.
Replied to your PM regarding the T4 being more mobile than a trolley.

link below of one with T4 i had fitted into it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223977105...4AAOSwCgxgfv3i

others available.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384115585...4AAOSwbVVghSUJ

You just need to make sure the bottom case is deep enough for the T4 black base

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2021, 13:09   #23
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Time for an update, and hopefully the resolution of something very strange.

Connected Toaf, whole load of fault codes much like the T4 reported, erased, ran the engine the few seconds it would splutter, only unknown fault returned. I’ve plans to copy Arctic’s T4 in a box, but not got around to it yet, so Toaf was on duty. Checked fuses, especially 1 & 2. all good. Lifted fusebox, no rodent evidence.

Now the weird thing: if the owner removes one of the sparkplugs (1.8T) the car will run, roughly as you’d expect, but does run until he switches off the ignition. It doesn’t matter which sparkplug, the car will still run on 3 but if he puts no4 plug back in it splutters and just runs for 2/3 seconds. Anyone recognise this, or have ideas?

Regards
Old 16th May 2021, 21:11   #24
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Might as well continue here as the non-running on four cylinders is still not resolved even after finding some very corroded crank sensor wiring.

I’ve now updated the owner’s 1.8T using DST00006V took a good while but no change. No engine reported faults other than the P1520 which I believe is common to all 1.8Ts, but SRS, ABS issues that remain unresolved.

I believe reading an old post by BigRuss that it’s possible to go deeper using engine management within the T4. Could someone post the path please, remember I’m a novice. Normally I wouldn’t dare but the owner is very close to scrapping the car so there’s little to lose even with me at the controls.

Regards
Old 16th May 2021, 22:53   #25
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Time for an update, and hopefully the resolution of something very strange.

Connected Toaf, whole load of fault codes much like the T4 reported, erased, ran the engine the few seconds it would splutter, only unknown fault returned. I’ve plans to copy Arctic’s T4 in a box, but not got around to it yet, so Toaf was on duty. Checked fuses, especially 1 & 2. all good. Lifted fusebox, no rodent evidence.

Now the weird thing: if the owner removes one of the sparkplugs (1.8T) the car will run, roughly as you’d expect, but does run until he switches off the ignition. It doesn’t matter which sparkplug, the car will still run on 3 but if he puts no4 plug back in it splutters and just runs for 2/3 seconds. Anyone recognise this, or have ideas?

Regards

When he removes a plug, ( less load on the engine ) does he disconnect the relevant coil or leave the spark plug attached to the coil but resting on the the engine ?

What happens if he leaves all the spark plugs in but unplugs a random coil does it run on 3 or splutter?

When it is running on three has he tried driving it a short distance to increase the load on the engine to see what happens ?

When it is running on three, will it rev up cleanly and reasonably well ?

When you say spluttering, is it like random misfires or are there spluttering noises as well, if so where from, inlet side or exhaust side ?

I don't recognise it nor have any real ideas, but I'm trying to think through the symptoms and possible causes the old way, by the seat of my pants, there are lots of things engine management systems can tell us and a lot they can't.

I have only quickly read through the thread but will go back and read through in detail to see if anything springs to mind.
Old 17th May 2021, 09:38   #26
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the reply, had a word with the owner, and the car is a 1.8T so only has two coils. It will run with one spark plug removed and resting on the engine, and run until he turns the ignition off but only at idle. If he tries to increase revs it seems to strangle the engine and dies. Idle control valve, cleaned and reset. Throttle potentiometer, substituted by known good one, no change. He’s tried removing one HT lead with all spark plugs in place but same behaviour. No test drive as he only has power at idle, and has limited the amount of time running the engine on three as he’s afraid of damaging it. The splutter: for the first few turns of the starter it appears to fire up as normal but then hesitates and dies, most of the splutter noise seems to come from the throttle housing.
I’ll do another house call with the T4 in a few days, but I’d like some idea of what I should be checking or looking for, esp. the engine management section as there appear to be lots of readings or values that might lead somewhere. We have one 1.8T owner up north who has 35 years garage experience that might be able to interpret the values provided, but is otherwise at a loss at the behaviour of the engine.

Regards