Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th August 2019, 10:22   #1
rovertoyou

Rover 75 and MG ZT

Default ZT rear window vinyl covered surround

I have a ZT with a sorry-looking rear window surround. As you'll know the chrome surround is vinyl covered and age, the the sun, and everything else has caused the vinyl to break down mostly on the lower part of it. The vinyl is brittle and there's quite a lot of chrome poking through now.

What can I do to fix this? I'm tempted to try and scrape off all of the vinyl but I suspect that won't look tidy and also I'll be changing the character of the car so is there an easy way to repair or replace the vinyl - or someone you recommend to do it?
rovertoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 11:30   #2
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Scrape it off and use a Rubberised spray to get it back or leave it shiney stainless and polish ,

Get the strip off the car , it only levers off but use care around the paintwork.

Carefully remove the coating , a blowlamp and BRASS wire brush would seem the best . don't blue the metal unless you want to polish it up again .!

Not sure if paint stripper would work ? .

got to do mine very soon as its looking very tired,lost most of it already

lots of sprays to choose from

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertoyou View Post
I have a ZT with a sorry-looking rear window surround. As you'll know the chrome surround is vinyl covered and age, the the sun, and everything else has caused the vinyl to break down mostly on the lower part of it. The vinyl is brittle and there's quite a lot of chrome poking through now.

What can I do to fix this? I'm tempted to try and scrape off all of the vinyl but I suspect that won't look tidy and also I'll be changing the character of the car so is there an easy way to repair or replace the vinyl - or someone you recommend to do it?
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 7th August 2019 at 11:36..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 07:46   #3
M17TT
Banned

MG ZT

Firstly, get yourself a can of black plastikote, hobbycraft sell it or online.

Second you have two options, remove all the black from existing trim or (easier) pick up a chrome one from a 75.

Third now give the trim a wipe over with a bit of window cleaner to remove any grease and then 3/4 coats of the plastikote and thats finished.
M17TT is offline   Reply With Quote