Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th December 2020, 16:31   #1
itcaptainslow
Avid contributor

200Vi & 214 SEi

Default Odd lighting fault

My 75 has decided it’s going to full on strop since having a daft amount of money spent respraying & rechroming it...

A bit of background-it’s a dry use only car, currently SORN and in my garage. It’s seen one rain shower in three years, unfortunately the other day when it was parked outside while I was using the ramp in the garage. Whether this is a coincidence or not, I don’t know.

I’ve noticed the following have ceased to function;
N/S & O/S brake lights
N/S/R and O/S/F indicators (the remaining ones don’t flash fast, using the hazard warning lights don’t make a difference to what functions)
N/S dip beam

After an initial bit of research and look at wiring diagrams it looks as though the lighting control module behind the headlamp switch might be suspect-could anyone shed any more ahem, light on the matter? Is there any testing I can do to confirm?

I have a multimeter and PScan.

Thanks!
itcaptainslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2020, 16:41   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

It is known for water to effect the Light Switch Module - worth having a look for any water in the LSM - easy to take the facia off and the 2 retaining self tappers - you can then see if any water/damp on the circuit board and dry accordingly.

saying that very unlucky if one shower in 3 years.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2020, 16:42   #3
itcaptainslow
Avid contributor

200Vi & 214 SEi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
It is known for water to effect the Light Switch Module - worth having a look for any water in the LSM - easy to take the facia off and the 2 retaining self tappers - you can then see if any water/damp on the circuit board and dry accordingly.

saying that very unlucky if one shower in 3 years.
Didn’t realise water could make it that far! I’ll remove the fascia and have a look, thanks.
Old 18th December 2020, 17:24   #4
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Check fuse 9 in the engine compartment fuse panel, that feeds those lights (and the o/s main beam) via a Brown/Orange cable to the LSM.

Last edited by raykay; 18th December 2020 at 18:28..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2020, 18:03   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itcaptainslow View Post
My 75 has decided it’s going to full on strop since having a daft amount of money spent respraying & rechroming it...

A bit of background-it’s a dry use only car, currently SORN and in my garage. It’s seen one rain shower in three years, unfortunately the other day when it was parked outside while I was using the ramp in the garage. Whether this is a coincidence or not, I don’t know.

I’ve noticed the following have ceased to function;
N/S & O/S brake lights
N/S/R and O/S/F indicators (the remaining ones don’t flash fast, using the hazard warning lights don’t make a difference to what functions)
N/S dip beam

After an initial bit of research and look at wiring diagrams it looks as though the lighting control module behind the headlamp switch might be suspect-could anyone shed any more ahem, light on the matter? Is there any testing I can do to confirm?

I have a multimeter and PScan.

Thanks!
Bit of a long shot, but has worked for me in the past after buying a car that had been stood for a while. Unplug the multi plug, as well as removing the bulbs. The contacts were not corroded, and but I could only assume it to be a dry joint. But after doing this, it worked fine, and never gave an issue, not even a blown bulb if I recall (wasnt a 75). But it is a free and easy check.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2020, 19:35   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The LSM on my car caused problems. I took the plug off two or three times then sprayed the contacts with WD 40. No problems since for several years now.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2020, 20:16   #7
itcaptainslow
Avid contributor

200Vi & 214 SEi

So...no fault codes. FL9 intact (checked for continuity). Removed, unplugged and replugged the light control unit whilst checking the pins for contact/corrosion (all OK).

Cured by disconnecting the battery overnight and reconnecting. Weird but simple!
Old 18th January 2021, 11:35   #8
itcaptainslow
Avid contributor

200Vi & 214 SEi

Thought I’d update this. The fault returned.

After a bit of investigation and a hefty clue being the headlamps flickering when I closed the bonnet, I found a multi plug that had backed out of its housing on the bottom of the engine bay fusebox.

Touch wood it’s been good since!