Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th January 2021, 19:31   #41
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
The point I was making is that the top journalist at the BBC for the past 12-14 years has been a man who is not merely slightly right of centre, but an unabashedly right-wing neoliberalist. This belies the claim that the BBC is a bastion of left-wing views.
Who are you referring to?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2021, 21:52   #42
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Is in fact in the top 5000 tax payers in the UK!
Top 5000, eh? Not in the top 50? Percentage wise how does his so-called tax contribution compare with that of the backbone of the UK who live here and contribute day in and day out. The taxpayers who are forced to bail out the so-called masters of the universe when there greed and selfish actions bring them down to reality on planet Earth.

Quote:
What you mean is that you don't like him.
What is the relevance of this post?

Quote:
But you chose to nevertheless. Seems he is an easy target for those that choose not to do any research to what he does for charitable causes etc when he isn't racing. Btw that 'German' team he races for is based in the UK and employs a large number of people here.
Courtesy of his own actions he came to the attention of HMRC, and that is prior to the vetting of his tax affairs for his latest wotsit - a wotsit which is by no means normal having had to be put on the Diplomatic and Overseas List. BTW, the German outfit you refer to owes it presence in the locations mentioned on this thread to acquisitions.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2021, 22:17   #43
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Top 5000, eh? Not in the top 50? Percentage wise how does his so-called tax contribution compare with that of the backbone of the UK who live here and contribute day in and day out. The taxpayers who are forced to bail out the so-called masters of the universe when there greed and selfish actions bring them down to reality on planet Earth.

What is the relevance of this post?

Courtesy of his own actions he came to the attention of HMRC, and that is prior to the vetting of his tax affairs for his latest wotsit - a wotsit which is by no means normal having had to be put on the Diplomatic and Overseas List. BTW, the German outfit you refer to owes it presence in the locations mentioned on this thread to acquisitions.

Considering he has chosen to live abroad, as many other British sportspeople have with little criticism, him being in the top 5000 tax payers in this country isn't bad going in my opinion. You really think the taxpayers of this country are likely to have to bail him out? BTW it was only mentioned as the original criticism stated he paid no UK tax!

The relevance of that post was that it was my opinion. We all have them!

I assume you are talking about the tax avoidance scheme with regards to his private jet? Which is now sold btw. Once again just an assumption but i think more than likely his accountants used this for the VAT rather than Hamilton personally arranging it.

BTW it wasn't me that brought up that he works for a German company i merely informed the poster that criticised him for doing so that the company in question employed 1700 skilled personel in the UK directly related to Hamiltons employment at present.

I posted as it gets a little dull when ill informed people have a bash at him again and again and there is little or no similar criticism of others that do the same.

I get that people may not like him for whatever reasons they may have but it would be nice if they at least educated themselves a little before having a bash.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 11:29   #44
ND23

Not disclosed

Many thanks to all the bigoted, self-opinionated responses to this thread and in particular my post regarding the BBC news reporting. You have all spectacularly once again missed the whole point of this thread by dragging it completely off topic to serve your own self-righteous ends and completely missed the point of what was an interesting discussion about members views on the bias in the BBC.
Just to set the record straight, my post which mentioned that esteemed legend Lewis Hamilton cited him as an example of the bias in the BBC, at no point did I suggest that he was the only one but as the current holder of this title I felt it was appropriate to mention him by name.
My post was in response to bias in the BBC and it's complete blindness in reporting the achievements of 50% of the population who participate in sports in this country but get no recognition on the BBC news website. The BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award began in 1954, it has been awarded to 54 men and 13 women in all of that time. That in itself is a much better representation of women than the current sports section on the BBC news page which often has no mention of women in sport at all and when they do happen to notice something newsworthy, women occupy 1 of the seven available slots.
The media, and in particular television, play an enormous part in all of our lives, whether we watch it or not. We now live in an age where we tend to ignore the self fuelling nature of the media. How many programmes are devoted to celebrating the lives of celebrities? People are measured by the number of 'followers' they have. Some have something worthwhile to say, others have nothing and yet often they are the more popular. Perhaps the social forum on a car forum website is not the best place for this debate but thank goodness we can all agree on 2 things............Lewis Hamilton drives for a German racing team and he lives in the tax haven that is Monaco.
ND23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2021, 12:59   #45
ND23

Not disclosed

I don't disagree with you about the BBC coverage, it is improving but the 'flagship' page i.e. BBC News and it's sports section are woefully inadequate. As for being rude, comments about being 'blue' and 'I just don't like him' are just puerile and deserve such a response. However my main point is that all the 'trolls' join in on the bunfight and drag these discussions into oblivion. Tory this and Labour that and LibDem the other has nothing whatsoever to do with BBC bias in this context, nor has my citing of Lewis Hamilton in this context. As I said a great driver, driving for a great team but it doesn't alter the fact that they are German and not British and he lives in a tax haven, Monaco, along with many others who have been awarded BBC Sports Personality of the Year but he happens to be the current holder, hence my reference to him in the general debate about BBC bias.
Old 19th January 2021, 16:19   #46
ND23

Not disclosed

Really isn't that difficult. I posted in response to several posts about media bias at the BBC and raised a point that supported the argument that bias existed and raised the issue of gender bias citing the BBC News page Sports section as focussing entirely on male sports with very little coverage given to the other 50% of the population. Out of a potential seven articles in this section of the main news page female sports may be given one or two slots, that's what I call media bias.
Your reference to my use of language is very unfair, if you read through the thread you will realise that comments about my forum status, being envious of those who are not the subject of financial inequality and my personal likes and dislikes have nothing whatsoever to do with my post. The 'trolls' who choose to be selective about what they take from my post deserve no less and took the thread off in a completely different direction and ruined what was potentially a reasonable exchange of views, nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with me.
Old 19th January 2021, 19:45   #47
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
I do wish you wouldn't use the term "Remainer" as a childish term of abuse. It don't wear well. I'm a Remainer as you term it simply because most of my adult life has been spent helping small manufacturing firms and long ago realised that the Customs Union has been of incalculable value. For those who don't understand - notably Boris and Co. - selling to say Berlin is as straightforward as selling to Birmingham. As has become all too plain these recent weeks Brexit is a total disaster for anyone trying to export. And it will only get worse. I also have a son who lives in Berlin who is now a German naturalised citizen: along with Sir Simon of course. Amen.
I remember when we had big companies (not just small ones) and our products could be found around the world.

I don't blame your son going to the other side, he'll get a far bigger state pension as they (Germany) are top dog!

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 19th January 2021 at 21:02..
Old 19th January 2021, 20:34   #48
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I used to watch the BBC News from start to finish. I now watch the headlines then switch it off because I don't want to know what this or that "political correspondent" has to say on the matter. The BBC should report the news without bias. Every time that there is a government announcement, they (the Beeb) spend half an hour discussing what they think is going to be said (usually due to a government"insider" leaking comments), then spend ages afterwards, discussing what was actually said and then ask inane questions, most of which have already been answered in the announcement, or don't need asking in the first place because the answer would be obvious to anyone with a ha'peth of common sense!

I love the BBC nature films (probably the best in the world).
Old 19th January 2021, 21:01   #49
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND23 View Post
I don't disagree with you about the BBC coverage, it is improving but the 'flagship' page i.e. BBC News and it's sports section are woefully inadequate. As for being rude, comments about being 'blue' and 'I just don't like him' are just puerile and deserve such a response. However my main point is that all the 'trolls' join in on the bunfight and drag these discussions into oblivion. Tory this and Labour that and LibDem the other has nothing whatsoever to do with BBC bias in this context, nor has my citing of Lewis Hamilton in this context. As I said a great driver, driving for a great team but it doesn't alter the fact that they are German and not British and he lives in a tax haven, Monaco, along with many others who have been awarded BBC Sports Personality of the Year but he happens to be the current holder, hence my reference to him in the general debate about BBC bias.
So, what in your opinion makes the BBC biased. Is it just not enough coverage on female sport? Or do you not believe the BBC has a bias.
Those who have worked for the BBC seem to tell a compelling story when they are able to circumvent any gagging order!

Opinions are free and it is not worth getting heated over any of them!

Kev
Old 20th January 2021, 09:11   #50
ND23

Not disclosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
So, what in your opinion makes the BBC biased. Is it just not enough coverage on female sport? Or do you not believe the BBC has a bias.
Those who have worked for the BBC seem to tell a compelling story when they are able to circumvent any gagging order!

Opinions are free and it is not worth getting heated over any of them!

Kev

Unfortunately it's not my opinion it's factual information. At the risk of repeating myself the main BBC news website carries a sports section that is updated at least daily. Out of the seven possible articles on display more often than not all seven are devoted to male sports, they sometimes throw in one or two female articles but this is by no means the norm. To ignore 50% of the population on a regular basis is shameful. Easy to check if you doubt my facts.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
and scroll down to the bottom of the page.