Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th October 2019, 06:30   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
That is the best free offer you will ever get from a man or a woman
Ooh you silver tongued cavalier !!
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2019, 21:56   #12
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
You could hoof up the A19 at the weekend and I'll T4 the car for you........as an aside in thirteen years, I've encountered five duff EMS2000 ECM, and all with the same fault
Thanks, Brian. I might have to take you up on that when I have a chance.

When it didn't start, it was basically like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6lzlO2Uwme8. So if I understand things, the battery was making the starter spin, but the engine wasn't starting (does this indicate a lack of fuel?). It starter OK on Friday, and I started it again today. It might be my imagination, but it seems to take a touch longer to start (about 5 seconds of holding the key, instead of 2).

I started it today because I wanted to try my ELM327 Bluetooth thing with Torque to read and clear codes. It used to work on my ZS. But I couldn't get it to talk to the 75 ECU at all. Might need to take you up on that T4 offer!

Am I right in thinking that if the starter wire was loose, then the starter wouldn't do anything, so there would be no noise at all when I turn the key?

I don't have any long trips planned at the moment, so I am trying to build my confidence back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
In answer to the question about belts, you could use Rovetec in Stockton for the belt change, and have no change from £800, or take a relaxed trip back from Dave in Fencehouses and have the job done for less than £500.

Dave is a former MGR master tech, and well versed with the KV6

Oh, I wasn't after belts, just general expertise. If I wanted stuff like a handbrake compensator doing, I would rather use someone who has done it before. I have had a bad (expensive) experience at Rovetec in the past, so am unlikely to darken their door again. Annoying, because I work right near them!!!
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2019, 08:25   #13
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post

I started it today because I wanted to try my ELM327 Bluetooth thing with Torque to read and clear codes. It used to work on my ZS. But I couldn't get it to talk to the 75 ECU at all. Might need to take you up on that T4 offer!

Am I right in thinking that if the starter wire was loose, then the starter wouldn't do anything, so there would be no noise at all when I turn the key?
I've got Torque Pro, with ELM327 bluetooth, on my Android headunit and it works fine on my 75, probably just a settings issue. Even found it could diagnose my friend's 75 parked alongside just by transferring the ELM.

Starter - correct, that's my understanding too, it wouldn't crank.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2019, 20:11   #14
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Had a bright idea... Tried the ELM327 on my wife's Nissan Note. Didn't work on there, either. It has been sat in a drawer for a couple of years, so it is clearly cheap tat. I would like another, but don't want another did! Problems, problems...

Starter was definitely making noise, so if the engine doesn't start, surely it is missing spark or fuel? Is there anything obvious that a non-mechanic like me can check?

I have not used it today, so fingers crossed for it starting tomorrow morning...
Old 20th October 2019, 20:24   #15
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Really not much use in speculating, the ELMs are extremely cheap even if they only last a couple of years, either get another one or get the car up to Brian. You’d be foolish not to take him up on his offer as he has the toys and ability to fix this problem and possibly others you don’t yet know about

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2019, 19:26   #16
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Yeah, that's a good point. I will probably end up with more items on my rainy day list...
Old 28th October 2019, 20:26   #17
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Ah, I was being an idiot. The app on my phone had packed in. Perhaps an Android update killed it? I tried another app, and I can connect to the car's ECU. Lovely.

There are stored and pending codes for P0340 camshaft position sensor. I think I will gamble and replace the sensor...
Old 14th November 2019, 21:40   #18
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I hate those threads with no resolution/update, but I have also been trying to avoid tempting fate! I think it's time to chance it...

I bought a new camshaft position sensor, complete with adaptor lead (since my car is an 02, so has a different wiring connector). It was pretty simple to fit, even for a complete novice like me. I've used the car a fair bit since, including lots of short-trips, and several opportunities for stopping/starting when the engine is still warm. No failure to proceed, and the fault codes remain clear.

So... success, for now anyway!