Old 7th January 2013, 13:23   #41
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
What a view Phil. I am envious.
Thanks Paul I am lucky to have been able to have been surrounded by so much space and beauty. I did a selection of sunsets over looking the sea to Cape Point also from the house and have not had the time yet to post them up. As you know we lost the house and the land on the mountain to a wild fire in April 2011, now rebuilt and finished it in December. We also had to repair and make new roads, do the fire breaks and dug in 2 km of irrigation pipes around the farm and around the mountain. Tenants moved in a few days ago and they signed an 18 month contract. We will see how that goes. We have another farm house to do up as it will fall down it we leave it any longer. The roof is leaking in several places, a pine tree has cut into the foundations and some of the walls are cracked with mould. So I am still going to and fro from ZA to Kenya and the UK. We are having a break at our place on the outskirts of Nairobi and getting ready to go on a camping trip up north to Mount Kenya and further afield into the bush on Wed. I will be taking my cameras with me. It will be a bumpy ride and I have already had one tripod which was not man enough and fell apart. I would like to know of a tough tripod which is tough and swivels ever so smooth on its axis? Life is full of challenges and I do count my blessings seeing the wildlife and countryside in Africa through the lens so to speak. Just as well I am retired
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 13:36   #42
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandy View Post
hi Phil,you are more than welcome post to me on the subject CANON SX50 HS got to give it a try must save you carting lenses or having to change them in a hurry,i have seen the tutorial on [you tube] look amazing zoom.would we not love to take such photoes such as you and your subject matter must be endless Nairobi you lucky man, look forward to talking to you again Phil soon i will take a photo of my cat he can be quite wild. all the best for now GARY, PS thank you for posting to me appreciate it.pps must comment on your remark re not able to track a moving subject ,i found that if you dont try to track it with the camera just dont take your eyes off of it and point at it and snap as many as you can sort them out on pc when you get home.
Thanks Gary for your advice on point and shoot! I will give it a try. Perhaps you could take some photos of your 75 inside and out, maybe at different locations in your area. I did catch sight of your 75 at one of the meets at Halfway House and was impressed at how pristine and well cared for your car looked. I will start a thread called Bridge Cameras - discuss as this is John's post and I hope he does not mind me diverting away from his excellent photos. Sorry John.
Old 7th January 2013, 15:26   #43
grandy
Passed Away

rover 75 2ltr auto PETROL

hi Phil,yes my car still looks good am thinking of respray this year same colour copperleaf, it's my own fault it is suffering from finger trouble by myself Halfords paint can mix don't match job best left to the guys that know what they are doing.am quite embarrassed at the halfway house meet i had blue reversing sensors gone now thank god not entirely my fault but my grandsons thought it would be a great idea, enough of car i am glad you have started a thread BRIDGE CAMERAS i have a lot to learn interested in macro and how good the canon is at it as you will know i too am retired and have had to give up playing golf so back to photography that i used to do in the 50s 60s no colour just black and white ,had my spare bedroom as dark room enlarger had to soak and fix prints and hang them up,the smell was not great open windows, got to go now Phil will no doubt be chatting again. GARY.

Last edited by grandy; 7th January 2013 at 15:37..
grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 21:41   #44
Bluejon
Cumbria & N/Lancs Regional Secretary

2003 Rover 75 Saloon [Royal Blue] + 1999 Rover 75 Saloon [Duo-Tone Bacchus/Zircon Silver]

Thanked 1,656 Times in 769 Posts

Took the family for a run out t-other day,not initially intending to go to my favourite photo spot,hence not taking my camera with me,however as there was a little snow around,btw unusually for this area,we have not had alot around,had to pay a visit,which is above Ashness Bridge on the road up to Borrowdale overlooking Derwentwater.

I took a few shots with my mob,the first 3 are from the mob,apologies for the quality,contrast these with the next 4,taken a couple of weeks ago with the camera on a beautiful sunny day.

BEST REGARDS.

JOHN.

Last edited by Bluejon; 3rd August 2017 at 21:33..
Bluejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 11:10   #45
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejon View Post
Took the family for a run out t-other day,not initially intending to go to my favourite photo spot,hence not taking my camera with me,however as there was a little snow around,btw unusually for this area,we have not had alot around,had to pay a visit,which is above Ashness Bridge on the road up to Borrowdale overlooking Derwentwater.

BEST REGARDS.

JOHN.
You could have had some of my snow John - we had more than enough to go round - see http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=134671
As usual your pics are stunning - I feel a need to book at least a weekend in the Lakes coming on

Look after yourself and keep on clicking the shutter
Rod

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 18:04   #46
Bluejon

2003 Rover 75 Saloon [Royal Blue] + 1999 Rover 75 Saloon [Duo-Tone Bacchus/Zircon Silver]

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
You could have had some of my snow John - we had more than enough to go round - see http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=134671
As usual your pics are stunning - I feel a need to book at least a weekend in the Lakes coming on

Look after yourself and keep on clicking the shutter
Rod
Cheer's Rod,I think most of the snow fell further East,the A66 over Bowe's was closed,but that's not unusual,but was still surprised there wasn't more around the Keswick area.

Hope you can manage a few day's up this way,try & let me know if you can,am thinking Jan & I may have a run down your way for the meet Colin [2Diesels] is organising on 10th Feb,weather depending of course,take care Rod.

Best Regards.

John.
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:16   #47
Bluejon

Default On Tow;

Snapped these on mob,[apologies for poor qualiity]wasn't expecting this,taken in haste, at dusk on 5th Feb,on a high tide at Workington Harbour,Cumbria,two fishing boats from Troon,Ayrshire,TN36. towing TN35.a sister vessel into the Harbour.

Last edited by Bluejon; 3rd August 2017 at 21:33..
Old 23rd February 2013, 06:33   #48
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

I have always had a penchant for marine photos and old marine paintings. Nicely captured John. What was the data setting? If you can't tell me it is not a problem.
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:04   #49
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Lovely pix John - they make me feel cold just looking at them
Although I reckon they are for making 'phone calls on, and cameras are for taking photos , I must admit that the quality of photographs on mobile 'phones is getting better all the time. My mobile (a cheap LG) has more megapixels than my first digital camera had

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 22:54   #50
Bluejon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
I have always had a penchant for marine photos and old marine paintings. Nicely captured John. What was the data setting? If you can't tell me it is not a problem.
Hi Phil,

Many thanks for your kind comments,always a pleasure to hear from you,firstly,I feel I owe you my sincere apologies for what looks like to me,unintentionally ignoring your previous replies,the honest truth is,I know nothing on the tech side of camera's,settings,exposures etc.

My camera is nothing special,a Kodak Z1012,10.1MP 12X Zoom,mostly taken on Auto,I think & if I dare to say,without sounding too bigheaded,I think my area with photography is having an eye for good composition & knowing what a good shot needs leaving the rest to the camera & pc.

I have never had expensive camera's in my life,but have alway's loved photography,going back to my steam railway spotting days & think there-in may lay the problem,not studying camera techniques when I was younger & now find it more difficult taking in all this modern tech stuff.

Mind you,it's not just camera's,it took me ages to get to grips with pc's & mobile phones,again at the risk of blowing my own trumpet [can't play one of those either lol] I'm more of a practical sort of Guy building,mending thing's & again that was when I was a tad younger,severe arthritis now prevent's most of this nowaday's.

Sorry for the long winded reply Phil,hope I have not bored you too much,but any tip's or hint's you Guy's can offer,to improve my shot's,would be very much appreciated,btw,the last 3 shot's were taken on my mob which is the new Samsung Galaxy S111,which I believe has an 8mp camera.

Very Best Regards.

John.

Last edited by Bluejon; 15th December 2013 at 22:43.. Reason: spelling;