Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th September 2018, 16:54   #1
sennockian

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Parking Aid system fault.

Have been having problems with the parking aid system for a couple of years. One problem was sorted out by replacing the reversing switch in the (manual) gearbox, and the reversing lights now work when they should. The 5-sec. 'system problem' warning bleep when engaging reverse for the first time also returned, although this was intermittant and the system occasionally worked properly, sometimes after thumping the sensors in the bumper.

One of the four sensors (in the rear bumper) was also not clicking, so had that replaced a year ago with a new one obtained on eBay. At that stage the system 'lost its voice' and I ran out of time and inclination to waste any further effort on it! Another sensor was also ticking somewhat quietly so had that replaced as well this week, but still no operational system.

The two listed fuses for the system are both OK, the reversing lights still work fine, the front speaker (which sounds the warning bleeps when the lights are left on) works fine (read on here that I seem to have the later system which uses the front speaker for the parking sensor bleeps rather than one in the rear parcel shelf), and the four reversing sensors all happily tick away with the ignition switched on - whether or not reverse is selected. The control unit for the parking aid system (in the rear offside wing) has both of the plugs fitting securely, and the black lead in the black plug (which goes into the main wiring loom) is earthing OK. (The white plug's cables appear to go to the sensors). The part number on the ECU is YWC105180.

Any thoughts on where I might go next?

(This is one of the reasons that my '75' is only my second best-ever car; my best is a '74 Stag owned since 1980 - very little in the way of fancy electronics to go wrong!).
sennockian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2018, 19:47   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Bit confused. The part number on the ECU is the earlier, black, one which uses a separate sounder under the parcel shelf The ECU for the later system using the sounder in the IPK is white and the part number is YWC107190.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2018, 21:55   #3
sennockian

Rover 75 Saloon

The ECU is definitely black and has the 'YWC105180' code printed on it. Seems to indicate, therefore, that it is indeed the earlier system with the separate speaker, located under the rear parcel shelf.

On that basis the problem may therefore be that the speaker is at fault. Can’t say that I ever bothered to listen to where the beeping was coming from. Next step to try and track that down, although it looks a job-and-a-half to get to the thing.

Many thanks for your reply; any other comments/guidance from anyone most welcome!

Will report back in due course...
Old 9th September 2018, 16:20   #4
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennockian View Post
The ECU is definitely black and has the 'YWC105180' code printed on it. Seems to indicate, therefore, that it is indeed the earlier system with the separate speaker, located under the rear parcel shelf.

On that basis the problem may therefore be that the speaker is at fault. Can’t say that I ever bothered to listen to where the beeping was coming from. Next step to try and track that down, although it looks a job-and-a-half to get to the thing.

Many thanks for your reply; any other comments/guidance from anyone most welcome!

Will report back in due course...
Please do report back - am in the same boat - but with the later white box - but all the same symptoms - reversing lights work, sensors all ticking, no bleep when selecting reverse gear, sounder works for lights on when door open (my sounder is in the IPK as it is the later set up) but am interested in what you find.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 15:52   #5
sennockian

Rover 75 Saloon

Did some brief testing on the cabling last night. Intercepting the White & Red cable (pin 4) and Red & Light Green (pin 8) - with power off there was no resistance (connectivity) reading. Assuming that these cables connect to the speaker that would indicate that it is non-operational. With ignition on and car in reverse I was getting the odd click on a conventional 8 ohm impedence small speaker cone, and the voltage meter was indicating varying readings.

On that basis it seems to indicate that the speaker may be the cause of the problem, so I have therefore ordered one from Rimmers. Will come back when I have had a chance to lash up some cabling for it (might be two or three weeks as off on holiday very shortly); the built-in speaker seems to need most of the parcel shelf and back seats to be dismantled to get to it. Not going that route!
Old 6th June 2020, 21:05   #6
sennockian

Rover 75 Saloon

Talking Progress... but in a different direction...

Following on from my earlier thread notes, I purchased a new speaker to fit under the rear parcel shelf. However, it looks a somewhat involved and time-consuming process to access the speaker (having to dismantle half the rear fittings!), and (being retired!) I have not had the time!!!

However, I saw on Amazon a reversing camera kit - the "AUTO-VOX Upgrade M1PRO Reversing Camera", and decided to purchase one at the end of last year [2019], getting around to fitting it earlier this year.

It seems to be quite a nice piece of kit. The fitting was generally quite easy once I had decided 'where and how' (the worst part probably being trying to get the camera cabling through the flexible angled rubber tubing that ports the boot lid cables between the body and the boot lid), and the overall installation has ended up quite neat and tidy. This (cable from the camera) was plugged into the next part of their wiring loom (which I located effectively under the back window, hidden by the interior trim) which (a) I connected into the offside reversing lamp cable behind the boot's side trim to power the whole system with reverse engaged and (b) the lead forward to the screen.

The cabling to the screen was run underneath the carpet to the side of the driver's footwell and up the side of the centre console, and from there across (mostly out of sight around the steering column) to the small shelf to the right, just above the lighting switch panel (see first photo). The screen is held in place with Velcro, making a secure and very tidy installation.

Have to admit that I 'engineered' the fitting of the camera by making up my own 'final' bracket to attach on the underside of the boot lid 'handle'/number plate light hood (see second photo), having to initially remove the boot lid interior trim so as to hide all of the cabling, but it is a very neat installation.

The camera itself works extremely well, although of course it needs careful adjusting first in order to 'place' the warning lines in the right place. However, one has to take care not to inadvertently move it when opening the boot lid, otherwise one could end up hitting whatever is behind!

So - an up-to-date 'take' on reversing assistance!