Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd May 2015, 21:33   #1
simon.goode88
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default engine swap

My 1.8t 75 tourer has a major oil leak as in i changed the oil last week and theres now no oil in the engine. How much would it be for a replacement engine but what other engines will fit in the engine bay?
simon.goode88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 10:55   #2
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

In theory you could fit the other engines in the range - V6 2.0 or 2.5 petrol or even the diesel. In practice, this isn't a minor undertaking as the engine mounts, radiators, some ancillaries, ECUs exhaust etc, (and probably a loda of other stuff I've left out) would all need changing.

I'd stick with the engine you have or at least replace like for like.
Ps3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 11:12   #3
RodgerD
Rodger & Out

Rover 75 Saloon

Simon, you'd best stick with the 1.8T engine. If you are looking for a replacement, make sure it's a turbo version as some of the internals are different to the naturally aspirated K series engine.

The amount of smoke your car was producing was as a result of burning oil. The oil around the engine wouldn't account for the excessive oil loss.

Personally I think your engine is repairable, it doesn't sound like a bag of old bones and on it's last legs. More than likely all it needs is rings, and or a piston and liner for your loss of compression on No 3. You certainly don't have anything to loss by taking the head off and inspecting No 3 cylinder. It's then just a small step in dropping the sump, removing the oil ladder and releasing No3 piston/con rod.

I'd say there's more work in trying to find a good replacement engine, getting it fitted and hoping it's OK; it will also cost you more.

Once you pull the lump out, you then have to decide if you're going to change the clutch/slave cylinder whilst the engine is out, which is another expense.

If you are intent on going down a replacement engine route, I'll offer to buy your old engine to help you with costs of replacing your engine.

Last edited by RodgerD; 4th May 2015 at 11:20..
RodgerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 15:24   #4
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Hi Rodger
Nice gesture!

For what it's worth it think you are spot on with the repair the old engine post

Better the devil you know
Regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2015, 18:29   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.goode88 View Post
.. i changed the oil last week and theres now no oil in the engine.
I doubt that. The engine would seize. Have a look in the owner's handbook and check that you're following the recommended dipstick-reading procedure.

Simon
Old 12th May 2015, 06:23   #6
simon.goode88
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Ive stripped the engine down now. One of the cylinder head bolts was rounded off so had to buy some irwin sockets to remove it. The inlet manifold is off too the gasket looks fine. On the inlet manifold 1,2 &4 are dry and 3 is wet. Theres oil in the throttle body. The only thing left to take off is the timing belt and cogs then the head should be off so i should know by the weekend what i should be playing with then. Im debating whether to get the belts changed at that point when it gets rebuilt so i know i have new belts. The drive belt will need replacing too as it split.
simon.goode88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 09:01   #7
RodgerD
Rodger & Out

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.goode88 View Post
Ive stripped the engine down now. One of the cylinder head bolts was rounded off so had to buy some irwin sockets to remove it. The inlet manifold is off too the gasket looks fine. On the inlet manifold 1,2 &4 are dry and 3 is wet. Theres oil in the throttle body. The only thing left to take off is the timing belt and cogs then the head should be off so i should know by the weekend what i should be playing with then. Im debating whether to get the belts changed at that point when it gets rebuilt so i know i have new belts. The drive belt will need replacing too as it split.
Why risk a belt failure when you've gone to so much effort, change the belt, tensioner and water pump.
Old 12th May 2015, 09:04   #8
RodgerD
Rodger & Out

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I doubt that. The engine would seize. Have a look in the owner's handbook and check that you're following the recommended dipstick-reading procedure.

Simon
Simon given the amount of smoke from this car, no compression on No 3, I'd bet most of the oil was burnt on the motorway run. Probably all that was left in the sump was below the dipstick.
Old 12th May 2015, 09:31   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerD View Post
Simon given the amount of smoke from this car, no compression on No 3 ...
Ahhh, now I get it. Thanks Rodger. This is the member whose car you've seen and diagnosed earlier.

As the OP is now investigating further it will be interesting to see what he finds to explain the loss of compression on no. 3 won't it.

Simon
Old 12th May 2015, 09:36   #10
RodgerD
Rodger & Out

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Ahhh, now I get it. Thanks Rodger. This is the member whose car you've seen and diagnosed earlier.

As the OP is now investigating further it will be interesting to see what he finds to explain the loss of compression on no. 3 won't it.

Simon
Yes indeed.