Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th May 2018, 06:19   #1
grs6680
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190

Default compressors

im after a little advice my current comp isnt good enough to run my air tools so what im looking for is either a bigger comp or i have been looking at one of these https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...h--impact-wre/ or do i buy a new compressor,will the clarke work on removing my springs even though there is more us for a compressor
grs6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 09:16   #2
JanCo
Regular poster

MG ZT 190

Can't speak specifically about the Clarke, but I know that although we have a compressor at work that runs at 100psi and all the tools that go with it, I'll always reach for the battery buzz gun first. A lot handier to use. At that price, I'd give it a go.
JanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 01:32   #3
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

One big thing to watch for is to have big enough hose and connectors - 3/8" minimum. 1/4" hose and fittings just don't supply enough volume.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 07:00   #4
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

I’ve had plenty of cordless impact guns and 450Nm isn’t great if I’m honest especially in the “real world”
I use a Mac Tools BWP151

Brushless Motor

BRUSHLESS motor and heavy duty impactor offers improved fastening torque of 950Nm and breakaway torque of 1,625Nm with a 5amp/hr battery

Some serious power I’ve never had to worry about any silly bolts that don’t wont to play

I’ve also got a cheap 450Nm cordless gun with a 1.5amp/hr battery that struggles to remove wheel bolts, often put on by wizzy guns
Honestly I’d forget the Clarke gun mate, unless it’s going to do light work
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 08:51   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I would say that for most of us, a compressor for running an air impact wrench when working on our cars is a bit of a waste of time, we just don't do enough work to warrant it. You have to run the compressor, dig out the wrench and probably and airline.
A small compressor for car tyres, fine. We have 4 cars, 2 motorbikes, a caravan, a trailer and 4 cycles so for me a small compressor is good

I have a shot blaster and so have a second compressor with 2 3hp motors. I have air tools but am yet to use them and had them a year.

I'm considering getting a mains powered impact wrench for the hub nuts. I would have thought 450nm is enough for our cars

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 09:23   #6
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I would say that for most of us, a compressor for running an air impact wrench when working on our cars is a bit of a waste of time, we just don't do enough work to warrant it. You have to run the compressor, dig out the wrench and probably and airline.
A small compressor for car tyres, fine. We have 4 cars, 2 motorbikes, a caravan, a trailer and 4 cycles so for me a small compressor is good

I have a shot blaster and so have a second compressor with 2 3hp motors. I have air tools but am yet to use them and had them a year.

I'm considering getting a mains powered impact wrench for the hub nuts. I would have thought 450nm is enough for our cars

macafee2
450Nm is ok but....it’s often the case that cheap impact guns don’t impact/Hammer very well, so hence that don’t break the nut/bolt very well, especially on corroded nuts/bolts, then then 450Nm of torque becomes useless trust me been there done it...
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote