Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th April 2019, 14:21   #11
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer burrows View Post
when coldish i bleed the system by taking top off header tank and revving and observe speed of coolant. is this okay to do?
There's no problem in doing this with the engine cool, but there should be no movement of coolant to assess the pumping speed. It might rise and fall a little with the revs, but there's no visible flow across the tank. The header isn't part of the coolant circuit and stands atop a single pipe tee'd into the lower radiator hose. It doesn't have coolant circulating in/out or across it. Any gurgling from the header is simply air rising up the header pipe as you circulate it with the pump. It not the correct method.

In the 1.8 I've never observed the flow of any coolant from the head vent which enters the neck of the header tank, nor the invisible co-vent hole that's hidden from view. This is so even when revving hard. However, a few owners of the V6 report significant flows from here when revving. They see two streams. Notwithstanding, the small bore pipes involved are for venting air from the head/heads and not for coolant circulation.

Quote:
I have to top up when it throws out the coolant. defo see coolant bubbling out of header cap only after higher revs. then i have to top up. i is not huge amounts and i am not over filling as the line is clear to see in the bottom of header tank.
I assume you mean with the cap off? In any case, it's not the correct way to bleed/top up. You should follow the method described in Haynes and repeatedly on the forum.

If revving the cool engine causes coolant to be ejected when the cap's screwed down it is not a good omen IMO. Something is creating a coolant pressure exceeding 22psi and the pump can't do that.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 16th April 2019 at 14:24..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 15:07   #12
TT Tim
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I had a similar problem to the OP, in the end I bought a Vacuum refill kit. I'd highly recommend it if you have a compressor big enough to handle it.

Like this
TT Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 19:00   #13
dekhelia
Regular poster

75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer burrows View Post
when coldish i bleed the system by taking top off header tank and revving and observe speed of coolant.

There is an actual method of bleeding though, and I'm afraid the above is not it. There will be many descriptions of the recommended bleed method, online and elsewhere, but basically you need to bleed via the nipple on the pipe that runs across the top of the gearbox bellhousing.
dekhelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 22:38   #14
spencer burrows

ROVER 75

Default radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Interesting observation, how did you check the pumping speed?

TC
TC. will a semi blacked radiator/coolant system cause this? someone has put that K-seal NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- in.
spencer burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 12:07   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Spencer, your mailbox is full.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote