Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th March 2020, 21:27   #161
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Unfortunate fact France is now as/more expensive than UK- I base this on many years travelling and holidays in la Belle France and haven't as yet discovered the reason?? The euro? possibly? Chris.S.
Hope you don’t mind me posting on here, but I have been coming to France for years, along with Germany. My son lives in Germany. Has done since he was 18 years old, 53 now. Always enjoyed driving in France. Nowhere near as much hassle as in GB. Open roads abound everywhere. Drove down through France to visit Italy in 2006. Have many happy memories of staying in places with friends, all the way down to Briancon and over those beautiful mountain roads. We visit France every year, even if it is only on the way to Germany. Your comment about the way prices have risen over the last few years is the same for us. Of course the euro being stronger than the pound at the moment does not help, but it has always been swings and roundabouts the currency. The old saying you win some and you lose some is true. Looking forward to hopefully coming over later on this year to the Loire somewhere, so if I see you in your Rovers and MGs, I will give you a wave or a flash if it is safe to do so.

Last edited by bl52krz; 14th March 2020 at 21:30..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2020, 22:11   #162
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hope you don’t mind me posting on here, but I have been coming to France for years, along with Germany. My son lives in Germany. Has done since he was 18 years old, 53 now. Always enjoyed driving in France. Nowhere near as much hassle as in GB. Open roads abound everywhere. Drove down through France to visit Italy in 2006. Have many happy memories of staying in places with friends, all the way down to Briancon and over those beautiful mountain roads. We visit France every year, even if it is only on the way to Germany. Your comment about the way prices have risen over the last few years is the same for us. Of course the euro being stronger than the pound at the moment does not help, but it has always been swings and roundabouts the currency. The old saying you win some and you lose some is true. Looking forward to hopefully coming over later on this year to the Loire somewhere, so if I see you in your Rovers and MGs, I will give you a wave or a flash if it is safe to do so.

From one Brummie to another Brummie, If you are passing thru Brittany,56 Morbihan give us a shout.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 19:20   #163
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

And, David, I'm in the Loire valley, south near a town called Thouars.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 06:54   #164
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

My days on here were numbered.......My beloved ZTT has succumbed to rust. It is a Scottish car, and having spent some of it's life on the Moray Firth coast, it was no surprise to find that it was turning ginger

I'm going to see a French ZTT on Saturday. Hopefully it is as solid as many French cars appear to be - the downsides are that's it's duct tape silver, has a slipping clutch, needs an injector, and has a problem with the roof lining - fingers crossed that a deal can be struck.

Getting used to driving a LHD may take some doing though.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 09:17   #165
laser558
Avid contributor

MG ZT260 MGZT-T 190 Rover 75 Tourer MG ZT 190+

Good luck with your search - pretty rare in France. Where has the rust caused the terminal problems?

Personally, I feel far more comfortable driving a right hand drive car in France - much easier to navigate the ditches on country roads and avoid curbing (again!) expensive alloys.
laser558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2020, 11:15   #166
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

The Sills are on their way out, and the rear subframe and upper arms are a sight to behold . There are also bubbles along the front of the bonnet and on various other spots around the car.

As well as it's time spent in Scotland, it now lives about 5 metres from a stream. The poor thing really didn't have a chance
Old 28th May 2020, 11:38   #167
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
My days on here were numbered.......My beloved ZTT has succumbed to rust. It is a Scottish car, and having spent some of it's life on the Moray Firth coast, it was no surprise to find that it was turning ginger

I'm going to see a French ZTT on Saturday. Hopefully it is as solid as many French cars appear to be - the downsides are that's it's duct tape silver, has a slipping clutch, needs an injector, and has a problem with the roof lining - fingers crossed that a deal can be struck.

Getting used to driving a LHD may take some doing though.
A French car ???---In France ???

If not then with all those faults should be cheap as chips.

Good luck with it.---
Old 28th May 2020, 12:46   #168
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
A French car ???---In France ???

If not then with all those faults should be cheap as chips.

Good luck with it.---
It's a £200 car in the UK - but things are rather different over here. He's asking 1k for it, but is only willing to negotiate in front of the car presumably because he doesn't want to upset its feelings .

As much as I'd love another ZTT, if the price can't be negotiated far below his asking price I will
Old 29th May 2020, 21:29   #169
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

I've been over here in France for the last 20 years and here also now and then before that for another 10.

I've found that the French vastly over-value things. Especially cars.

However, after having said that the guy you are dealing with will never get anywhere near what he's asking for his car.

Make him a silly offer and if he says no then just walk away from it after giving him your phone number.

If that car went to a French garage with all those faults that French guy would have to take out a mortgage to pay for it with what French garages charge.----

I've done that silly offer thing with two houses I've purchased over here and in both cases got many thousands of pounds off the asking price.--

£11,000 in one case and £40,000 in the other.
Old 14th June 2020, 16:39   #170
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
It's a £200 car in the UK - but things are rather different over here. He's asking 1k for it, but is only willing to negotiate in front of the car presumably because he doesn't want to upset its feelings .

As much as I'd love another ZTT, if the price can't be negotiated far below his asking price I will
Any luck with your potential car purchase ??---