Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > News Bulletins > Discussion
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th May 2020, 08:19   #1
RepublicClone66

Rover 75 saloon.

Default Which car do I keep?

Hi, need some help with a difficult decision.
I have a very clean 103,000 mile cdti conny, full service history, hydraulics just done and gearbox seal renewed, its bog standard too. About to fit new pcv filter and clean the egr. Thing is we have a 100,000 mile mini clubman diesel,full service history, cam belt and maf just done on it. This needs a replacement steering rack soon at about 600 quid! The mini has cheaper running costs regarding tax and gas mileage and is otherwise in good condition. Would appreciate people's thoughts on this if possible, but one of them has to go. My wife has just got a c1so we can't keep 3 cars.
Regards,
Republic Clone.
RepublicClone66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2020, 13:25   #2
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Difficult choice that only you can make, they both have similar mileages but the MINI is newer and worth more so the MG may be easier to sell. The MG being older may need more maintenance going forward due to age. Depending where you live you might find it easier getting the MINI repaired if you don’t do your own maintenance as some places don’t like working on older stuff with. Which do you prefer driving the most? The old cynical side of me thinks that you have made your decision and post 1 may be a well disguised for sale post

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 28th May 2020 at 13:29..
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2020, 10:29   #3
RepublicClone66

Rover 75 saloon.

Thanks for replying so quick.
Selling one of them isn't an option right now because of lock down, even after, it looks like used values will be hammered down for a while.
I've clay barred the 75 and waxed recently and it's looking less than half it's age. Hmmm.
More reflection needed by me.
Thanks.
Old 29th May 2020, 11:21   #4
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

Sell the C1 later 😉

Last edited by dattrike; 29th May 2020 at 11:38..
dattrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2020, 20:28   #5
RepublicClone66

Rover 75 saloon.

Well, after much more research it looks like we will need a small mortgage in savings to keep the mini on the road. Just watched the shananigans of a mini clutch change on YouTube! Not waiting for that one. So decision is made, keeping our lovely conny. Had a 75 1.8 club se 10 years ago and took that to 100,000 miles without any head gasket issues. Probably helped that I'm a fastidious checker of coolant and oil. Hope that after all this covid business we are all OK and can meet up next year.
Regards
Republic Clone.