Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th March 2023, 17:22   #1
postbasher
Avid contributor

Rover Connoisseur cdt se auto

Default fixed penalty and driver speed awareness scheme

hi all, having been busted for doing 25mph in a 20, i am wondering how much the course itself costs?...has anyone already paid and attended one such course and how much was it?....I cannot help wondering WHY the cost is not given in the documentation?
thanks
postbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 17:39   #2
postbasher
Avid contributor

Rover Connoisseur cdt se auto

looks like it varies...between £90 to £120....what are peoples' experience of the course and has anyone taken it online?...would be interesting to know before choosing options.
postbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 17:50   #3
nh627
Regular poster

Rover 75

I was caught and attended for the morning. Fair mix of people, not a heavy handed experience more aligned with better road awareness and knowledge of the highway code. Its far better than points as the course will not impact insurance.
nh627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 18:02   #4
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by postbasher View Post
hi all, having been busted for doing 25mph in a 20, i am wondering how much the course itself costs?...has anyone already paid and attended one such course and how much was it?....I cannot help wondering WHY the cost is not given in the documentation?
thanks
Where was that in Plymouth? Laira Narrows is the only place I can think of a 20mph zone with a camera
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 18:14   #5
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by postbasher View Post
thanks
The course will cost you about £80. I've been on 2 in the last 12 months.
I was on the A65 for the first doing 36mph in a 30mph zone. The course is tailored for normal driving.

On the 2nd occasion, I was caught doing 68mph in a 60mph zone on the M1.
at 1 am in the morning. This course is tailored to Motorway driving.

Not many people know there are 2 courses for different roads. You have to be very careful if you have been on the 2 courses as any further speeding tickets will cost you a fine and points on your license.

Last edited by robbrooks; 20th March 2023 at 18:16..
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 18:23   #6
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

I did one in 2014, it cost £100 if I recall correctly. The session lasted 3 or 4 hours and I did actually learn a couple of things. The chaps leading the session were from the AA and were nice enough, they didn't berate or patronise. All in all, it was positive learning opportunity and was better than taking the points/fine.

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 18:23   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

when my son was learning to drive there was a chance for him to go on the course, not because he had done anything wrong. I went with him.
They talked about stuff mostly that I know such as shadows on the road and using them to see perhaps a vehicle.
I learnt one way of thinking, the more paint on the road, the greater the danger.
I know someone that is an instructor on those courses.

Better than points, will it stop people reoffending, mmmm I don't know.

I dont know if it is still done but one or more insurance companies used to ask if you had been on a course

oh by the way.. you bad bad boy

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 19:57   #8
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur, MG TF 80th Anniversary

Got to be honest, when I did one I felt it was OK but really over-long, as though they dragged it out so you had to take a bit of punishment. It was a whole Saturday morning gone for me (4 hours).

Still 4 hours at that was worth more than the increased insurance no doubt would've been over the next few years, even with the cost of the course.

However, now they are apparently doing them online, they certainly were during covid. Sitting at home with a brew would certainly make the experience less annoying.
TomTheTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 20:59   #9
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
The course will cost you about £80. I've been on 2 in the last 12 months.

Not many people know there are 2 courses for different roads. You have to be very careful if you have been on the 2 courses as any further speeding tickets will cost you a fine and points on your license.
That's very interested Rob.I did an online course via Teams in 2021,it was the only option as
the classroom was closed due to COVID.My crime 34mph in a 30.What I distinctly remember them saying was you couldn't do another course within 3 years,if caught again,
and points would follow.Maybe things have changed.The course cost £90.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 21:15   #10
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I did one 4 months ago, as has been said it was over long but they guys taking the course just tried to make us aware of the consequences of excess speed. We had a brake half way through.
Unless your Interweb is perfect I suggest you avoid doing it online, my neighbour had two tries and on both occasions because there was a breakdown on the internet for a few mins he had to do it again, the third time he attended a physical course.
Its a real money spinner for the people doing these courses, on the day I did mine they were doing 3 courses all of 30 people at £100 a time,
I suspect since they reduced the amount you could break the limit before procecusion they have increased there revenue considerably. That with the silly 20mph limit that seems to be introduced in a lot of towns and rural areas I suspect most of us will be clobbered in the next few years.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote