Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st April 2009, 06:39   #1
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

Unhappy Lack of power CDT - help

Due to go on a little drive on Friday, just 730 miles....

This morning, coming in to work along the M23 went to overtake someone and there was no power there. Came of the M23 and up a hill and I did not really notice power not being there. A little further along the journey and I needed ot turn off to climb a fairly steep hill but again the power was not there so went a longer, more flatter way round. Then there is a stretch where the limit is 60. It did pick up but nothing like noral.

Got to work and checked under the bonnet and the under bonnet pump was whirring around - admittedly I had stopped the engine poked around the connections, turned the ignition on an there it was whirring (I replaced the in tank pump a couple of months ago). Started the engine and pushed down on the accelerator. It did not seem to rev with any enthusiasm and when it was running at fairly high revs it was not smooth but the revs were fluctuating.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Paul

A little additional info - when I replaced the in-tank pump it was because it would not start. I was unsure whether the under-bonnet pump was operating correctly but an ear to the in-tank one and there was no noise I therefore replaced that one but did also buy the under bonnet one which I have not fitted. Yesterday morning the thing would not start, tapped the under bonnet pump and it did start.

Last edited by moonstoneboy; 1st April 2009 at 06:46.. Reason: Added info
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 10:19   #2
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Just a little bump but I have been looking through others problems - how likely do you think this could be the MAF.

Unfortunaely, I am a work without the right tools to get at the maf connector - can get to one of the clips as it is but not the other.

One of the local factors ( a Bosch distributor) has one of the shelf and at 132,000 miles it probably benefit from a new one but I would rather not pay out at the moment on spec unless it is felt that this is likely to be the problem.

Paul
Old 1st April 2009, 10:41   #3
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

sounds like a maf to me.

http://tuning-diesels.com/75Zt/R75maf.htm

A) First you need to determine if your MAF sensor is 'dead'.

Complete failure is rare: Usually you will experience other symptoms I.e. some or all of the following:-

Very poor throttle response with very slow initial rise in engine revs

erratic or lumpy idle

uneven acceleration even above 2000rpm

the effect of the turbo can hardly be felt

surging or hesitation

juddering and shuddering

reluctance to rev.

smokey exhaust
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 11:24   #4
M3NDEREZ
Posted a thing or two

R75 DUB Saloon Connoisseur CDT + Synergy2

When my MAF went, the only symptom I got was the "Very poor throttle response with very slow initial rise in engine revs" ... The turbo still have a hell of a boost when it kicked in, and accelleration from 50 - 70 for example was absolutely fine..

I think it effects everyone differently depending on the degredation of the sensor.. I'd say disconnect that bad boy, drive it for a couple of miles and se if it's any better. If you see an improvement, connect it back up and buy a new one (or a Pierburg and a Synergy2 - You know you want to!).. If disconnecting it doesn't help, at least you've ruled out the MAF..

One thing that RoverRon's website and intructions doesn;t tell you is that some MAF sensors are held on by security torx screws - I got half way through the installation, of the new MAF, then couldn;t go any further as I didn't have any! Anyway, I have a set now, so if you're unfortunately enough to have yours held in by them, and you don;t have a set, just drop in and grab my set.. They may as well get some use, all they've done is changed a MAF sensor and an Airbag cover!!

STILL WANTED: Black Leather & Chrome Auto Gearknob, Diesel Cruise ECU, EGR Bypass.
M3NDEREZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 12:01   #5
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Thanks for the replies. Just been out in it and it seemed fine and then a little loss of power and then back to fine.

Now wondering if the under bonnet pump is acting up.

Looks to me like the battery tray needs to come out so might chance it until I get to my destination and then change it.

Thinks that buying a MAF might be a good idea - I can then eliminate it but at my mileage the existing one must be a little tired.

Thanks for the offer Carl.

Paul
Old 1st April 2009, 19:56   #6
mcdonaa
Avid contributor

2002 ZT-T 190

Don't replace it with the MGRover fit bosch though at nearly £200 + fitting though! Go for a MAFAM or Synergy2 with Pierburgh MAF - replacement Pierburghs are approx £50 and are more reliable.

However, a duff MAF will not affect 2K+ rpm when turbo is spooled up - only affects low end fueling. From what I have read also, the MAF gradually de-grades over time, not usually all or nothing. I would maybe look at a few other things first.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mcdonaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 20:32   #7
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Try unplugging the MAF and see how she runs.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 06:19   #8
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Thanks for the replies. I had to go out yesterday lunch time and it seemed fine apart from one brief period. The journey home last night was fine so that to me would take me away from the MAF.

I have concluded that it must be the underbonnet pump that occassionally decides to go on strike. I have loaded the new one in the car, hopefully I will not have to change it en-route and will change it at my destination. I will also unplug the MAF and see what effect that has - and plan to fit the pieburg (?) and MAFAM.

Thanks

Paul