Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st April 2009, 22:10   #1
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts
Default 4-Wheel Brake Sensors - Easy or a Silly Idea?

It's often been been said that having only the offside brakes fitted with wear sensors doesn't really give the best indication of overall pad wear.
It occurs to me that converting it to a 4-wheel system might be relatively simple - that's if I have the gist of it right.

The wear sensor circuit is just a continuity loop if I remember correctly, so two more sensors could be inserted into it and you could have 4-wheel sensing. So fitting a sensor to the nearside brakes seems like an 'easy' wiring job, or is it?

Could someone with an intimate understanding of the OBD and brake sensing point out the obvious problem?

T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 22:15   #2
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Unless the car has problems, I have yet to see a ZT/75 with pad wear that far out for example it ruins discs. Regualr routine maintenance is the way to go imo.
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 22:31   #3
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

As a matter of interest, are the existing sensors on the inner or the outer pads?

Personally I have a look at the pads, if they look low, I change them. Don't trust sensors... old fashioned visual inspection seems the best way to check your ability to stay on the road

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 22:35   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lates View Post
Unless the car has problems, I have yet to see a ZT/75 with pad wear that far out for example it ruins discs. Regualr routine maintenance is the way to go imo.
I agree completely, but that's not what I'm on about. There are frequent comments that other cars with brake wear monitoring do it on all four wheels. Clearly, there's a logistical aspect to it. If you wish to monitor at all, why not monitor each caliper? From a purely theoretical standpoint, would it work?

Old 1st April 2009, 22:36   #5
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Cannot see why it wouldnt work but me and electrickery bits dont always see eye to eye
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 23:08   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
As a matter of interest, are the existing sensors on the inner or the outer pads?
They're fitted to each inboard pad on the front and rear offside calipers. The inboard pads on the nearside calipers use the same pads, so they have an unoccupied sensor slot.

It's not unusual to read of people finding one front or rear caliper wearing the pads at a different rate to the opposite caliper. The argument for 4-wheel monitoring seems stronger than 2-wheel monitoring. I believe the V8 brakes only monitor one caliper (front offside I guess). The logistics of this escapes me. I realise the design principle says that pads on any axle will wear at the same rate, but that's patently not so in reality. If a wear system is to be use at all, logic suggests that all brakes need sensing. On the other hand, if regular visual inspection is recommended over an automated system, why have such a complication anyway?

Old 1st April 2009, 23:21   #7
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
They're fitted to each inboard pad on the front and rear offside calipers. The inboard pads on the nearside calipers use the same pads, so they have an unoccupied sensor slot.

It's not unusual to read of people finding one front or rear caliper wearing the pads at a different rate to the opposite caliper. The argument for 4-wheel monitoring seems stronger than 2-wheel monitoring. I believe the V8 brakes only monitor one caliper (front offside I guess). The logistics of this escapes me. I realise the design principle says that pads on any axle will wear at the same rate, but that's patently not so in reality. If a wear system is to be use at all, logic suggests that all brakes need sensing. On the other hand, if regular visual inspection is recommended over an automated system, why have such a complication anyway?
I hear where you are coming from, and it makes sense.... As the sensors are fitted in-board, then a cursory visual inspection would not work. Pads on the outside can, and invariably will wear out less than the inners (in my humble experience). So it makes sense to have the sensors on the inner side. However as you suggest, pads on the same axle never wear evenly.... So, Yes, a four way sensor system would make a lot more sense.

In my past... if I can see the outer pad worn down to the last 2-3mm then I always take the wheel off and have a look at the inner, unless up on a ramp for whatever reason. But then again, if they are worn down that much... it's time for a change

As a matter of note, my old Nissan Sunny which I had for three years or so and did about 600 per week always wore out the off-side pads a lot faster than the nearside. same went for the van (13 years).... Maybe had something to to with my weight?

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 1st April 2009 at 23:27..
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 05:18   #8
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

...............................so presumeably you just plan 2 add two extra sensors into the existing circuit...?
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 05:45   #9
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Not had much to do with the sensors but I think the harness is checked for resistance. As the pads wear down there is a little raised section that wears away on the sensor which in turn puts the light on. If 2 extra sensors are fitted the resistance would change within the circuit and I think may illuminate the light in a similar way to fitting led's in the light units. Only a guess though!

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 06:41   #10
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post

Could someone with an intimate understanding of the OBD and brake sensing point out the obvious problem?
Easy and not a silly idea.:lol:
Don't bother about OBD or any other fancy protocol. As you said, the sensor circuit is just a continuity loop. The sensors are nothing else than glorified plastic coated wires. A series connection will fool the ECU which will never know that you have two sensors instead one. If there is, for some reason, a resistor included in one of the connectors (which I doubt, but easy to investigate anyway), one of them will probably have to be removed.

Cheers,

Fidel

workaholic_ro is offline   Reply With Quote