Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th May 2017, 20:53   #31
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Sorry I had to comment on this thread.

The reason for RUBBER drop links/suspension components being tightened at rest is obvious, it stops the rubber from being twisted and ruined as the car settles down.

This is NOT applicable for the front drop links, both ends are ball joints, so tightening them up when the car is at rest makes no difference to these at all.

Both ends are free to turn as the balls are metal to metal, so at the car settles there is no rubber to twist and ruin.

The reason they last such short time is purely NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- quality. Im annoyed as the rubbers have gone on my originals now, and now dirt and all sorts has made its way in, Ive ordered a pair of Lemforders from Germany.

I did see the thread about the other Lemforders not lasting, but perhaps they were not genuine parts... its quite possible.

Lemforder made the original lower arms, and the quality of these is FAR FAR higher than the crud that Xpart are palming off to people these days, so I have no qualms about going Lemforder for a set of drop links, they probably made the originals anyway, and I would certainly not entertain the idea of using Chinese sourced parts, whether they are "Genuine" or otherwise. The Chinese components quality is DREADFUL, and paying "genuine" prices for this Chinese tat is just not on.
In answer to your comment regarding droplinks do not need to tightened after the wheels are on the ground, I suggest you have a word with Rover, if it was possible, and they would tell you that in their workshop manual, that is exactly what they say should be done.
Old 25th May 2017, 07:01   #32
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Not to get in any kind of barney about this but despite what "Rover" may quote ... T16 is correct the ball joints are not affected in any way by the postion of the Suspension when being tightned up.

Any doubt ? have a word with my OEM links that have been on and off a couple of times and @140k+ are still quite happy

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote