Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd January 2022, 08:58   #21
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaloz View Post
That is interesting, and raises thoughts on fitting a PRT.
Hi Nigel,

I am not entirely convinced that Flying Banana's widely varying running temperatures are the result of having a PRT.

Please be reassured that there is nothing wrong with your engine. Your standard thermostat is operating correctly; you do not need a PRT or an 82˚ thermostat which is for use in hot climates. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaloz View Post
But first I will have the fan speeds checked out instead of risking overheating by trying to get them to cut in myself.
From what you've told us, there is no evidence that your engine is even reaching the fan cut-in temperature of 104˚. It's a good idea to check that the fan's slow speed is working though. You can do this easily yourself by starting the engine from cold then activating the air conditioning by selecting the windscreen demist function. If you then listen at the radiator grille you should hear the fan running continuously.

Let us know how you get on please.

Simon
Old 23rd January 2022, 12:01   #22
Kaloz

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Nigel,

I am not entirely convinced that Flying Banana's widely varying running temperatures are the result of having a PRT.

Please be reassured that there is nothing wrong with your engine. Your standard thermostat is operating correctly; you do not need a PRT or an 82˚ thermostat which is for use in hot climates. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

From what you've told us, there is no evidence that your engine is even reaching the fan cut-in temperature of 104˚. It's a good idea to check that the fan's slow speed is working though. You can do this easily yourself by starting the engine from cold then activating the air conditioning by selecting the windscreen demist function. If you then listen at the radiator grille you should hear the fan running continuously.

Let us know how you get on please.

Simon
Thanks Simon, have checked fan using the above method. Fan is working, so I shall follow your advice and attempt to fix no more unbroken thermostats and- move onto the next problem.
This is probably as far as we can go with this thread. I hope that the information here will help others in the future ( and please add to it).
Thanks to everyone who has contributed
Regards to all,
Nigel
Kaloz is offline   Reply With Quote