Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th December 2021, 18:22   #1
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Default Question for diesel auto owners who service their own car.

I've today carried out an oil service on my connie auto and an issue that I've had since I first serviced the car back nearly 4 years , is that the oil light goes off instantly even after the first start up and filter change. I have driven the car over 40,000 miles and carried out 4 oil changes. My doubting mind had me thinking that some bodger had wired up the oil light to the alternator light due to a fault with the oil pressure and part exchanged the car !

The engine is sweet and no untoward noises have been heard over the years .

My best mate came over for a coffee whilst I did the oil change and I mentioned this issue in passing and said I don't think the engine has a problem and as a mark 2 diesel owner himself said his car does the same !

My manual tourer warning light goes out once the oil filter fills up as you would expect , so does anyone else have this quirk , a bit like the brake failure warning message on cold winter start ups !
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2021, 19:29   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
I've today carried out an oil service on my connie auto and an issue that I've had since I first serviced the car back nearly 4 years , is that the oil light goes off instantly even after the first start up and filter change. I have driven the car over 40,000 miles and carried out 4 oil changes. My doubting mind had me thinking that some bodger had wired up the oil light to the alternator light due to a fault with the oil pressure and part exchanged the car !

The engine is sweet and no untoward noises have been heard over the years .

My best mate came over for a coffee whilst I did the oil change and I mentioned this issue in passing and said I don't think the engine has a problem and as a mark 2 diesel owner himself said his car does the same !

My manual tourer warning light goes out once the oil filter fills up as you would expect , so does anyone else have this quirk , a bit like the brake failure warning message on cold winter start ups !
I do my own, and never noticed any difference. In my head, the oil light should not change as the oil is poured into the top and through the engine, so presure should build regardless of the amount in the filter. Could the manual engine be a little bit more gummed up slowing the flow of oil around the oilways, therefore slowing the pressure to the sensor?

The cold winter brake light warning issue is not normal, and is likely to be corrosion or moisture at the contacts (either bulb, tracks or plugs). Mine does this too, by the way, and used to be every time in winter til I cleaned up the contacts. 2 winters was fine, then last year it was intermittent. SO have left as it is for now - has only happened once so far since the cold weather kicked in.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2021, 20:44   #3
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Just seems odd that my 53 reg and my mate's 54 reg diesel auto both have the same oil light issue. I'm not worried as the engine is sweet and hasn't shown any issues in the 4 years I've had her.

I've owned my tourer nearly 19 years and she had only done 8000 miles when I bought her and she is now a couple of hundred miles from 200,000 miles and I've done every service myself and the oil light behaves like every other car I've ever owned when first started after an oil change.

I'm not worried , just curious as these engines appear bulletproof and I've already clocked up nearly 1/4 million miles between them in my ownership !
Old 10th December 2021, 22:05   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I've done the oil and filter changes on my cars all of my life.

My R75 light goes out very quickly. When you drain the oil there's lots of it still around the engine in the oil-ways.--If you had a new engine that had never had oil in before I'm sure it would take twice as long until the oil light went out.--After just a change of oil the whole thing has oil in it right from the off.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2021, 21:33   #5
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Mine is pretty much instant too.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2021, 22:13   #6
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Thanks Mike , I was beginning to think no one understood the question lol ! Every engine I've ever changed the oil and filter on , you would always wait a second or two for the oil light to go out.

On my Connie auto it goes out at the same time as the battery light even on first start up after an oil change !! Unlike my manual tourer which is a year older, you wait that second or two.

It must be a case of '' they all do that sir'' which was the answer I was looking for.
Old 13th December 2021, 22:54   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
Thanks Mike , I was beginning to think no one understood the question lol ! Every engine I've ever changed the oil and filter on , you would always wait a second or two for the oil light to go out.

On my Connie auto it goes out at the same time as the battery light even on first start up after an oil change !! Unlike my manual tourer which is a year older, you wait that second or two.

It must be a case of '' they all do that sir'' which was the answer I was looking for.
surely the pressure should remain the same pre and post filer change, since the oil filter/filtration is remote and I assume require the pump/pressure to pump it through the filter. If you started the engine dry, then poured the oil in, I imagine the light would take a second or two before it went out, hence my query regarding blockages in the oilways earlier.

Old 16th December 2021, 22:01   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
surely the pressure should remain the same pre and post filer change, since the oil filter/filtration is remote and I assume require the pump/pressure to pump it through the filter. If you started the engine dry, then poured the oil in, I imagine the light would take a second or two before it went out, hence my query regarding blockages in the oil ways earlier.
I've never heard of anyone starting the engine after draining the oil and then trying to fill it with the engine running.--Blow back past the pistons would blow the oil straight back out of the filler cap. The oil light would never go out.---

However you. personally, would be very well oiled.---

Though I'm sure you would prefer whisky to oil.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2021, 22:08   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I've never heard of anyone starting the engine after draining the oil and then trying to fill it with the engine running.--Blow back past the pistons would blow the oil straight back out of the filler cap. The oil light would never go out.---

However you. personally, would be very well oiled.---

Though I'm sure you would prefer whisky to oil.----
I have never heard of anyone starting a dry engine to add oil, but it would be the only way I can think of for an oil light to remain on for longer than normal with our engines (or any with a remote filter) after an oil change.

Actually prefer oil to whiskey (spelled correctly - search for Black Bush - dare ya )

Old 17th December 2021, 10:19   #10
KeithA
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conny Tourer Auto

I don't tend to do my own oil changes these days.... Can't be bothered with the fuss of getting rid of the oil. Instead I just get the garage to do it at mot time, then do the test of the service myself. So I haven't observed this on a 75.

However, might it be related to the large oil capacity of the m47r engine? The void in the oil filter will be a very small % of overall capacity so it gets up to pressure very quickly?

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk