Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th December 2021, 17:35   #1
William Pearson

Rover 75 saloon

Default Rover 75 water ingress

Is there anyone in the south of England who has sucessfully stopped water leaking into the boot, and would be happy to help me do the same to my 75 classic. I would drive to the person concerned, if not too far away, and pay any costs involved.

Last edited by William Pearson; 17th December 2021 at 17:49..
William Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2021, 18:28   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I'd advise you remove your email address, posting it on an open forum can attract spam. Anybody wanting to contact you can use the personal message system.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2021, 19:25   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

welcome to the forum.
where in the boot are you finding water?
There are seals behind the rear lenses that can fail. A memeber here does replacements. The water can often work its way down into the spare wheel well.

Another place water can get in is via some retaining pegs under the chrome trim at the bottom of the rear screen. This is a bit more of a complex fix.

The third place is via the chrome strilp that runs along the rear panels.

Try to determine where water is getting in so we can help a bit more on how to solve it, it may be something you can do.

As alredy said, do remove your email address as non forum members can see it too.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2021, 20:47   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Pearson View Post
Is there anyone in the south of England who has successfully stopped water leaking into the boot and would be happy to do the same to my 75 classic. I would drive to the person concerned, if not too far away, and pay any costs involved. Thanks.
Easy to fix.--The hard part is finding where it's leaking in.--Lots of posts on the forum from the hundreds of folk that have fixed this problem.---look in the --How-to's---

I see you've not done a lot of posting in the last TEN years.--Zero--

Mine leaked in around the rear lights. A bit of clear bathroom silicone ten years ago and dry ever since.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2021, 01:21   #5
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Easy to fix.--The hard part is finding where it's leaking in.--Lots of posts on the forum from the hundreds of folk that have fixed this problem.---look in the --How-to's---

I see you've not done a lot of posting in the last TEN years.--Zero--

Mine leaked in around the rear lights. A bit of clear bathroom silicone ten years ago and dry ever since.---
Wot he said. Multitude of leak points and how to's that fix them. There are some novel suggestions as to how to find these damn leaks, depends, but I'd suggest you work through the 4-5 most common one's first. Silicon will work but IMHO the best sealer jallop is Sikaflex 521UV together with Sika Aktivator 205, bit more expensive than silicon but made for the job.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2021, 11:40   #6
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Wot he said. Multitude of leak points and how to's that fix them. There are some novel suggestions as to how to find these damn leaks, depends, but I'd suggest you work through the 4-5 most common one's first. Silicon will work but IMHO the best sealer jallop is Sikaflex 521UV together with Sika Aktivator 205, bit more expensive than silicon but made for the job.

One thing to think about when using sealants that many forget until when it's too late is...................how easy will it be to get the thing apart in the future if needed. 🤔😉

I had to help a good neighbour a few years ago who had successfully re-sealed a roof window on his motorhome with the excellent sealant, Sikaflex 521 UV, it is good stuff and well worth the couple of quid extra for the activator

Then the window and frame got damaged by a branch so the whole lot had to be replaced, normally an easy, gentle, afternoon four brew job.

Not so, he hadn't noticed that it serves two different but combined functions that of a sealant and a tenacious adhesive. 🤣

The only saving grace was that due to the frame being damaged I could cut it in sections making it easier to ' unstick it ' and didn't have the fun of removing the residue from the frame, only from the roof, a time consuming task.

Being retired I do many jobs for mates rates, I don't want any payment unless I've had to purchase anything, I just enjoy being busy, he knows this so a few bottles of red wine turned up, as he said it's good for my heart. 😂
Old 17th December 2021, 13:05   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Also, at the time of the water leak into the boot of my car I did what lots of others have done.--I drilled a few 1/8 diameter holes through the floor of the boot to let the pond out.

The gold fish were not best pleased.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2021, 17:00   #8
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

When I bought my first 75 it had about 6cm of rain sloshing about in the well so drill and release was the order of the day.

Eventually found it was the side mouldings - easy fix.
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2021, 17:52   #9
William Pearson

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
welcome to the forum.
where in the boot are you finding water?
There are seals behind the rear lenses that can fail. A memeber here does replacements. The water can often work its way down into the spare wheel well.

Another place water can get in is via some retaining pegs under the chrome trim at the bottom of the rear screen. This is a bit more of a complex fix.

The third place is via the chrome strilp that runs along the rear panels.

Try to determine where water is getting in so we can help a bit more on how to solve it, it may be something you can do.

As alredy said, do remove your email address as non forum members can see it too.

macafee2
Many thanks. I've checked the rear lights and resealed them. I don't think it's the side mouldings but will check. As you say the retaining pegs under the chrome trim may be part of the problem, but I have not been able to get at them! (I think it's getting in higher than the chrome strip). Also the fuel pump packed up recently and I discovered pools of water under the rear seat! Unfortunately I'm an octagenarian and not too easy to do these jobs! Thank for taking the trouble to reply.

Last edited by William Pearson; 17th December 2021 at 18:11..
Old 17th December 2021, 17:56   #10
William Pearson

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Also, at the time of the water leak into the boot of my car I did what lots of others have done.--I drilled a few 1/8 diameter holes through the floor of the boot to let the pond out.

The gold fish were not best pleased.--
I like it!!

Last edited by William Pearson; 17th December 2021 at 17:58..