Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th December 2021, 17:36   #11
Thunderbolt
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+ 190

Thanks, we did have a leaking sunroof drain tube a few years ago, passenger side rear, which left a mighty puddle under the rear seat.
I fixed it with help and guidance from here.

It’s odd that it is one of the two keys only.
Old 14th December 2021, 19:04   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
It’s odd that it is one of the two keys only.
Unless it's coincidence. The immobilisation section of RAVE talks about communication with the transponder being required for engine starting but there's no mention of keeping it running. Why should there be? Once the system knows that a correct key is in the ignition barrel the immobilisation protection is satisfied.

Your symptoms seem to me to point more to the immobiliser ECU but I'm afraid that I have no practical experience of fault finding in this area.

Simon
Old 17th December 2021, 17:44   #13
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

I would suggest the issue with Calums car not starting is probably down to the transponder being loose in the 2nd key, so sometimes it is in the right place in the key to allow the car to start.
Regarding the cutting out issue I have been out and tried my car.
With no chip in place the car will not start and displays the engine disabled symbol (as expected).
Putting a transponder by the ignition ring allows the car to start, and I have drive the car like this with no issues for a mile and half (to the supermarket)

So Simon is correct for short distances,
However these cars do store the mileage in the key, but I am not sure how often this is updated - so the cutting out issue could still be down to the immobiliser not sensing a chipped key in the ignition when it tries to write the mileage to the key (and fails).

I would suggest checking the chip is secure in the 2nd key, and trying the car. If the problems 'go away' then the issue could be to do with the mileage recording in the key. If not, get the fault codes read (and recorded) for the car, clear all fault codes, then drive the car until problems are experienced again, then get the faults re-read to see what the car is complaining about (if anything)
Regards
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.

Last edited by cb750chris; 17th December 2021 at 18:36..
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 08:01   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb750chris View Post
I would suggest the issue with Calums car not starting is probably down to the transponder being loose in the 2nd key, so sometimes it is in the right place in the key to allow the car to start.
Calum,

If the second key has had a new aftermarket case fitted, these frequently have the two shoulders missing which hold the transponder tightly in its box. If this is a possibility, carefully prise the lid from the key case body, remove the loose transponder chip and put a blob of Blu Tack in the box before replacing the chip.

Simon