Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th December 2021, 17:01   #11
William Pearson

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Wot he said. Multitude of leak points and how to's that fix them. There are some novel suggestions as to how to find these damn leaks, depends, but I'd suggest you work through the 4-5 most common one's first. Silicon will work but IMHO the best sealer jallop is Sikaflex 521UV together with Sika Aktivator 205, bit more expensive than silicon but made for the job.
Many thanks. I'll find it eventually. The real problem is not so much the boot, but the water has also been getting under the rear seat - puddles of water on each side. I only discovered this recently when the fuel pump packed up.

Last edited by William Pearson; 17th December 2021 at 17:04..
William Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2021, 18:31   #12
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Pearson View Post
Many thanks. I'll find it eventually. The real problem is not so much the boot, but the water has also been getting under the rear seat - puddles of water on each side. I only discovered this recently when the fuel pump packed up.
Depending on what angle your car is parked then water from under the rear screen can get into the rear foot wells.

I see you sell French property.---I live in France.

You are 80 something ???????----I'm 84.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2021, 18:48   #13
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Pearson View Post
The wet under the rear seat/footwells has most probably sloshed there from the water that has [usually] collected in the wing recesses immediately below the back of rear light clusters (if it hasn't already found it's way to the lowest point in the boot which is the spare wheel well).
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2021, 10:53   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

William, please come back and talk to us.

Old 18th December 2021, 11:09   #15
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Don’t drill holes in the boot floor, you can fix the water ingress.

You wouldn’t fill your tyres full of cement just because the air was escaping!!
Old 18th December 2021, 11:19   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Don’t drill holes in the boot floor, you can fix the water ingress.

You wouldn’t fill your tyres full of cement just because the air was escaping!!
Too late I've already done it.-----

I've heard of people filling their tyres with grass though.
Old 18th December 2021, 15:21   #17
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

If not already mentioned, check the seal around the rear window. If it looks to have lifted slightly then this will be where the water is most likely to be getting in. Get hold of a product called Captain Trolly's creeping crack cure (no it's not a joke) and run it a few times around the frame. leave a day between each. It will find any small holes and seal them up.
This happened to mine and since doing this 16 months ago, not a single drop has got in the car.
I would say though that if water is under the rear seats then it's a good chance it could be UNDER the carpet. By under I mean under the foam padding. As said, this happened to mine and there was a good half-inch of water under the carpet. I was drying the carpet out but the next day soaked again yet it was undercover. Lifted the carpet by the door and was shocked by the sheer amount of water under it. Ended up having to remove the carpet from the car to dry it out over the next week or so and driving around with just the floor mats in place and wires exposed all down the sides.
Old 19th December 2021, 17:07   #18
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
If not already mentioned, check the seal around the rear window. If it looks to have lifted slightly then this will be where the water is most likely to be getting in. Get hold of a product called Captain Trolly's creeping crack cure (no it's not a joke) and run it a few times around the frame. leave a day between each. It will find any small holes and seal them up.
This happened to mine and since doing this 16 months ago, not a single drop has got in the car.
I would say though that if water is under the rear seats then it's a good chance it could be UNDER the carpet. By under I mean under the foam padding. As said, this happened to mine and there was a good half-inch of water under the carpet. I was drying the carpet out but the next day soaked again yet it was undercover. Lifted the carpet by the door and was shocked by the sheer amount of water under it. Ended up having to remove the carpet from the car to dry it out over the next week or so and driving around with just the floor mats in place and wires exposed all down the sides.
Just to add that I think that what McRob is referring to by "..the seal around the rear window.." is the adhesive 'sealant' that actually sticks (bonds) the glass to the metal frame (the rear aperture), it's black in colour, slightly recessed and underneath the glass. There is a 'D' shaped trim (black rubber on most MG's or black rubber/bright inserted strip on most R75's) that sits on top of the glass and is held in place by numerous black plastic clips spaced around the steel aperture - this doesn't have any sealing function, it is purely a 'loose' trim; the lower/horizontal clips (7 or 8 from memory) do however often let rainwater water past them and into the boot area - you'll find these often mentioned in the various how-to's
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2021, 19:48   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
William, please come back and talk to us.

Bump!!!

---Free help with the sticky plaster.--