Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd December 2021, 12:26   #31
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I thought the CDT was the "113/5" version and the CDTI was the 131 version. At "113/5" I found the CDTI with 131 noticeably livelier.

macafee2

Not necessarily.

See https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...6&postcount=14

A 131 CDT/CDTI run on Shell V-Power with Millers Ecomax in every tank is about as lively as I need a 75 to be.

I can perfectly understand someone like Andy wanting to up things to the limit, but that is more about the person than the car and he could easily fix if a crank should suffer. I think Andy probably adds a bit of Nitrous to his tonic every now and then. But for ordinary drivers, a 75 with 131bhp is all that is required. A 160 would be lively.

I am not being boring - my lawnmowers have larger engines installed than the ones they came with!

Last edited by MSS; 22nd December 2021 at 12:35..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2021, 20:41   #32
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Not necessarily.

See https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...6&postcount=14

A 131 CDT/CDTI run on Shell V-Power with Millers Ecomax in every tank is about as lively as I need a 75 to be.

I can perfectly understand someone like Andy wanting to up things to the limit, but that is more about the person than the car and he could easily fix if a crank should suffer. I think Andy probably adds a bit of Nitrous to his tonic every now and then. But for ordinary drivers, a 75 with 131bhp is all that is required. A 160 would be lively.

I am not being boring - my lawnmowers have larger engines installed than the ones they came with!
Wow. Tuned lawn mowers. Is that to compete with the neighbours.--

My car is a 114 bhp engine but it's listed as a CDTi-

Seems OK to me.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2021, 20:49   #33
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post

Wow. Tuned lawn mowers. Is that to compete with the neighbours.--

My car is a 114 bhp engine but it's listed as a CDTi-

Seems OK to me.

Not tuned, just swapped for larger/more powerful units. Stick a 5-6HP engine on a 3.5HP lawnmower and everything becomes effortless.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2021, 20:53   #34
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Not tuned, just swapped for larger/more powerful units. Stick a 5-6HP engine on a 3.5HP lawnmower and everything becomes effortless.
Just avoid wet grass and wheel spin I guess.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2021, 23:01   #35
CivilSteve
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
That's because the M47R engine has a cast crankshaft whereas the BMW M47 has a forged crankshaft. They don't twist, they snap with dramatic results

The forged ones are a lot stronger, I wouldn't want to rely on putting much more than 170 through a cast one.

Also beyond 180 the diesel clutch and transmission will begin to tear itself apart because the torque at that output is well beyond the design limits of both

Russ
I'd have thought crank failure is more likely to be due to the crank pulley failure. The pulley gives the crank its much needed torsional vibration dampening, similar story with the DMF. It's why even stock cars have seen failures. After all lets be honest here, 160-170 is hardly pushing the power boundaries of a somewhat modern diesel engine.

Also peak HP isn't where I'd expect something like this to fail, more likely to be peak torque no?

The last VNT turbo I had on rollers only slipped the clutch at peak torque and that was down to him using a cheapo clutch kit. Capped back to 280lbft and it was fine again.

The other VNT I'm working on has only been tuned on the road but will easily be over the 180 mark. Been like it for half a year now, driven hard. No issues.
CivilSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2021, 10:32   #36
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Now your torqueing.... !!!! That 18 hoss Honda V twin is a tune in its self...