Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th December 2021, 12:17   #11
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Does anyone have particular views on the Costco diesel?
Costco claim it is Premium. I certainly have no complaints but it is all I ever use so nothing to compare it with.
I wonder if it's as good as the major companies V-Power etc.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2021, 18:57   #12
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

This is very bizarre as I have a friend who used to drive tankers and said he's driven for multiple firms including the big firms and the supermarkets and they all queue and fill the tankers at the same pumps.
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2021, 19:07   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMG View Post
This is very bizarre as I have a friend who used to drive tankers and said he's driven for multiple firms including the big firms and the supermarkets and they all queue and fill the tankers at the same pumps.
I have heard that from tanker drivers too!
Old 24th December 2021, 19:28   #14
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Just to stir it up , have a read of this :
https://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/sup...branded-fuels/

My own previous info above came from drivers at the Shell ( now Essar ) refinery local to me
Old 24th December 2021, 20:06   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

That is not to say the same fuel mix is pumped into each tanker. I suspect it is all centrally controlled and the pumps deposit so much base fuel into the tanker at the gantry as well as the selected additives package as the fuel is pumped in. I would not expect the tanker driver to be aware of the recipe of the fuel and additives being pumped into his tanker. Just like the pumped lubrication 2-stroke fuel-oil mixture systems!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2021, 21:16   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Cue someone to post that it all comes from the same tank at the refinery wherever you buy it. lol.

IT'S TRUE, ABSOLUTELY TRUE.--I know it is cos I read it on the internet.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2021, 07:37   #17
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I have heard that from tanker drivers too!
Trikey and Billy,

I can possibly offer an explanation, I worked in a control capacity in the oil industry visiting numerous, refineries and distribution depots. The drivers would indeed go to the same loading bays/gantries but when they keyed in their loading PIN number, depending on the company, different additives would be injected into the fuel as the tanker was loaded, hence a driver would load from the same stand but be unaware of the additives.

Having also seen the results for testing in one of the majors laboratory when they would test rivals fuel efficiency in a test bed car on a rolling road going through a cycle with acceleration and deceleration (they used autos with ‘robot’ feet) the premium fuels always come out on top in terms of mpg and cleanliness inside the engine.

Personally don’t use supermarket fuel, use standard diesel in the 75 and now use premium unleaded in my 260 and MGF only because of the reduced ethanol content as they don’t get much use. I also use Millers additive in both.

I’m sure others may disagree but that’s my firsthand experience.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2021, 08:47   #18
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Cue someone to post that it all comes from the same tank at the refinery wherever you buy it. lol.

If you insist, here?
Old 30th December 2021, 11:11   #19
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Trikey and Billy,

I can possibly offer an explanation, I worked in a control capacity in the oil industry visiting numerous, refineries and distribution depots. The drivers would indeed go to the same loading bays/gantries but when they keyed in their loading PIN number, depending on the company, different additives would be injected into the fuel as the tanker was loaded, hence a driver would load from the same stand but be unaware of the additives.

Having also seen the results for testing in one of the majors laboratory when they would test rivals fuel efficiency in a test bed car on a rolling road going through a cycle with acceleration and deceleration (they used autos with ‘robot’ feet) the premium fuels always come out on top in terms of mpg and cleanliness inside the engine.

Personally don’t use supermarket fuel, use standard diesel in the 75 and now use premium unleaded in my 260 and MGF only because of the reduced ethanol content as they don’t get much use. I also use Millers additive in both.

I’m sure others may disagree but that’s my firsthand experience.
At last a definitive answer from someone with experience and knowledge. My Golf GTI (running at 300 bhp with just a stage 1 remap as its the edition 30 with the same engine as the Audi S3) ran fine on normal unleaded until they started changing it for E10. Now it feels very sluggish compared to before and the DSG box is very hessitant to change gear it chops and changes when having a blast in it. I use superunleaded now and its back to itself.
Each to their own I suppose.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 11:44   #20
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Makes sense - when I bought my 75 a few years back the mpg was showing on the computer as 47 but I was never able to match that regardless of how and where I drove it - I was always nearer 45. So I'm taking from this it's quite likely the previous owner was using one of the bigger brands. A mystery solved lol - thanks it always bugged me
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote