Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th January 2022, 10:53   #111
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

[QUOTE=MSS;2914928]
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
I think tesla only warranty their batteries for 8 years?
............/QUOTE]

No company will warranty their product for a period anywhere near the expected life. So an 8-year warranty would be consistent with a 15-20 year expected life.
I can not see the logic in an 8 warranty meaning it’s ok for 15/20 years.My maths are not very good, but would love to know how that calculation was achieved?
Old 4th January 2022, 11:57   #112
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I can not see the logic in an 8 warranty meaning it’s ok for 15/20 years.My maths are not very good, but would love to know how that calculation was achieved?

Think about why independent companies are so keen to sell you 3-year extended warranties after the manufacturer's warranty runs out. It is because they know the chances of the product failing during that period is very small. The statistically significant expected life of the product is much longer than the manufacturer's warranty period.
Old 4th January 2022, 13:09   #113
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

[QUOTE=MSS;2914944]
Quote:

We need to differentiate between expected operational life and failure. Failure occurs in very small percentage of production and the bath tub curve generally applies in some form. Warranty periods are set to provide risk mitigation against the early failures and to generally provide confidence in the purchase.

Expected operational life is, on the whole, determined by operational/performance degradation. This would normally be expected to be much longer than the warranty period.

In general, I don't think any one is saying that some manufacturers have not had teething troubles with a small percentage of their batteries. But this occurs even with new engines - read all the horror stories about replacement engines needed on new or nearly new LR, Mercedes etc.

It is interesting to note that those on here who own an EV are not highlighting any major regrets and most of the negativity is from others who do not own the technology. This is a pattern we saw with catalytic converters, DMF and so on.

Finally, and once again, an EV will not be ideal for every potential buyer. But for many situations, it may be the ideal technology.

Post above re battery lifetime - my Nikon D100, purchased around 2008, is still running happily on its original two batteries in the grip.

I see the double nesting of quotes is playing up. The above quoted text is from genpk rather than myself.
I think that people on here that dont own an ev are asking logical questions regarding things such as are ev’s really as green as they make out to be, are they really a viable option factoring in large battery replacement costs and will you be able to be mobile when there are power outages etc.
Im sure some people are curious about these issues and more thus the vigorous discussion.
If all current ev users are happy ,great but im sure there are some owners questioning their purchase as well, as can be evidenced by a recent report of a
tesla owner blowing his car up with dynamite after a long dispute with tesla over battery warranty .
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2022, 18:14   #114
bl52krz
This is my second home

I think, as some have said, they are ok for local journeys.
Old 6th January 2022, 00:51   #115
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

[QUOTE=genpk;2914973]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post

I think that people on here that dont own an ev are asking logical questions regarding things such as are ev’s really as green as they make out to be, are they really a viable option factoring in large battery replacement costs and will you be able to be mobile when there are power outages etc.
Im sure some people are curious about these issues and more thus the vigorous discussion.
If all current ev users are happy ,great but im sure there are some owners questioning their purchase as well, as can be evidenced by a recent report of a
tesla owner blowing his car up with dynamite after a long dispute with tesla over battery warranty .
No, the Tesla owner blew up his car as a publicity stunt and to get views for his youtube channel. It's worked as well, currently at 1.3 million views and counting which will probably net him quite a tidy sum!
Old 6th January 2022, 10:23   #116
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The quote nesting in the above post has gone a bit astray. The quoted text was from genpk rather than myself.
Old 7th January 2022, 12:30   #117
bl52krz
This is my second home

I don’t know about being offered warranties after three years, but was offered a three year warranty on a new cooker by a well known company, as we were looking for a cooker. Was pushing us to get the warranty, before we had even ordered it. Turned out, they did not have the cooker we wanted in stock. Work that one out. Something to do with commission do you think. A need for retraining I think. But typical of the upside down thinking these days.
Old 8th January 2022, 12:38   #118
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

[QUOTE=guru;2915207]
Quote:

No, the Tesla owner blew up his car as a publicity stunt and to get views for his youtube channel. It's worked as well, currently at 1.3 million views and counting which will probably net him quite a tidy sum!

My daughter currently has one that's at 1.4 million views on Facebook and has made around 500 quid, so even if he can double or treble that on Youtube it still doesn't value his Tesla at much.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 8th January 2022 at 12:45..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2022, 14:08   #119
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It might not be palatable for many, but on page 17 in today’s Mail there is a lengthy article giving a logical view of the pro’s and con’s on EV’s by Bjorn Lomborg. Sort-of lifting the well-screwed down lid on a wider view.
Old 7th February 2022, 20:24   #120
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Another major car maker Nissan has just announced it's ending combustion engine development everywhere except for the USA where it has a lucrative market in the pick up truck market. https://www.thedrive.com/news/44190/...-the-us-report

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote