Notices

Old 5th January 2022, 13:01   #31
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I’m afraid the well off are going to have to subsidise the poorer people.

No surprise there. That's what taxes / benefits are - each paying according to their ability (taxes), or receiving benefits to achieve a minimum standard of living. The question is 'what is the minimum standard of living that the majority find acceptable?' Individually that is going to depend on your circumstances isn't it?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2022, 16:03   #32
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Suppose folks can always eat cake.

Anyway as all of this was kicking off I swapped my tariff over with my supplier. Payments went up and they keep on telling me I'm paying too much. Now I keep the place warm so reckon I'm behind, they'll not accept my readings, telling me they will look at things in February. I'm expecting a big bill and payments to go through the roof. Suspect this is a ploy to get me onto a smart meter. Nope.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2022, 16:16   #33
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Suppose folks can always eat cake.

Anyway as all of this was kicking off I swapped my tariff over with my supplier. Payments went up and they keep on telling me I'm paying too much. Now I keep the place warm so reckon I'm behind, they'll not accept my readings, telling me they will look at things in February. I'm expecting a big bill and payments to go through the roof. Suspect this is a ploy to get me onto a smart meter. Nope.

What's wrong with a smart meter?
Old 5th January 2022, 17:07   #34
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
They will scare you. A bad consumption day is in our house perhaps double or even treble or more then a good day. Right now it is showing usage of £2.52, for a winters day that is very good. I've seen days that are treble that.
Today the sun has been out and quite strong, so the solar panels have done their job running washing machine and tumble drier.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2022, 17:47   #35
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Interestingly, I've been using a clamp-on measuring device which links to a remote display via radio to provide real-time and daily readout of our consumption. I find it quite useful.

I've recently ordered a smart meter installation to replace the above.
Old 5th January 2022, 18:20   #36
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
I often wonder if some members here ever meet young people. I have been dealing with youngsters straight out of uni for many years. They have all been extremely competent, polite and a pleasure to have around as young/aspiring professionals. For the past 3 years I have worked with 16/17 year old students at college and apart from a few, the majority have been worldly wise. The best 1/3 of each year have worked extremely hard to achieve their absolute best including attending optional online lessons with myself during school holidays, evenings and so on.

I cannot say the same about all the grown ups that I come across. They all think they are worldly wise, they know everyone else's job better than the person doing the job, they are opinionated and generally anti-social. The worrying thing is that I belong to this age group!
I have a reasonable pool of folks in my family to use to try to get some sort of assessment.--From my wife and I downwards there are around 50 of us. ( That includes eight very young great. great grandchildren.

The slightly elder ones need to be surgically removed from phones and computers at meal times.-----

PS. Forgot to mention we have Chinese, Indian, Australian, African, English, Scots, Welsh and Eritreans in that lot.

( In-laws and Outlaws.---) Even some Northeners.

Last edited by COLVERT; 5th January 2022 at 18:30..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2022, 18:28   #37
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I have a reasonable pool of folks in my family to use to try to get some sort of assessment.--From my wife and I downwards there are around 50 of us. ( That includes eight very young great. great grandchildren.

The slightly elder ones need to be surgically removed from phones and computers at meal times.-----

This is a sign of bad parenting and grandparenting.

I only have the two who are now in their early twenties. Their main gripe has always been and continues to be that they've had a deprived upbringing. Every time they tell me this, which is often, I sit there with a quiet grin on my face, thinking, yes - success - they will grow up to be responsible peasants!
Old 5th January 2022, 18:44   #38
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
This is a sign of bad parenting and grandparenting.

I only have the two who are now in their early twenties. Their main gripe has always been and continues to be that they've had a deprived upbringing. Every time they tell me this, which is often, I sit there with a quiet grin on my face, thinking, yes - success - they will grow up to be responsible peasants!
However, some of the older ones are turning out to be really ingenious.

Just like someone has switched on a light. They've found an interest and hit it hard.

Eureka.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2022, 19:02   #39
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:

They don't work.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2022, 19:26   #40
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
They don't work.
Tell me more, don't work or don't work properly?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote