Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th January 2022, 09:04   #11
PaulR
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon (and P4 100)

Interesting that another diesel owner has had this problem. The slave cylinder fitted by MrClutch when I had it replaced years ago lasted the life of the clutch with no problems. Ironically the original master cylinder was fine, I just thought I would get the whole thing done when I had it changed again.

Rather than messing around I think I will go back there.

Last edited by PaulR; 10th January 2022 at 09:07..
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2022, 10:07   #12
PaulR
Regular poster

I topped up the reservoir yesterday which restored the clutch to normal operation. I only had a 5ml syringe to do this so didn't get a lot in before frustration set in. I have ordered a larger one and will put more fluid in then wait and see what happens.

My old Rover P4 had a rod operated clutch - simple, robust and leak-free!!
Old 11th January 2022, 17:41   #13
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
I topped up the reservoir yesterday which restored the clutch to normal operation. I only had a 5ml syringe to do this so didn't get a lot in before frustration set in. I have ordered a larger one and will put more fluid in then wait and see what happens.

My old Rover P4 had a rod operated clutch - simple, robust and leak-free!!

A little tip, if the syringe has a rubber seal, many do, as soon as you've finished with it work some warm water with a bit of washing up liquid through it, then the same with some warm clear water, remove the plunger then put it somewhere to dry, ready for the next time.

The reason being that the seals and brake fluid don't get along too well if in contact long term, as Pikey in Dads Army said " They don't like it up em " 😨🤭
Old 11th January 2022, 18:27   #14
PaulR
Regular poster

Thanks for the information. I will do that
Old 12th January 2022, 11:41   #15
sylvester
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I had no end of grief with the clutch on my 75 tourer and tried all ways to bleed it - it would run OK for a few miles then start playing up.
Eventually I gave up and sought the help of Apple Rover in nearby Meopham.
I was half convinced that I might be looking at a gearbox off job and a bill in excess of £1000 but their chief technician was convinced without looking - given my symptoms that the fault lay with a leaking master cylinder. I told him it had been replaced by one from the afformentioned supplier and that seemed to further persuade him that that's where the fault lay as these items are notorious for having a very short life!
Anyway, they replaced the master cylinder with a genuine Rover item which when supplied comes complete, sealed with its connecting pipe. The bill came to about £250. I've been using the car now since the autumn including a couple of long trips with no issue whatsoever.
sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2022, 12:45   #16
PaulR
Regular poster

There is no sign of leakage on the master cylinder but the fluid had disappeared from the reservoir. I am hoping that any leak is small and I can keep it going for a while longer.
Old 13th January 2022, 17:01   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
There is no sign of leakage on the master cylinder but the fluid had disappeared from the reservoir. I am hoping that any leak is small and I can keep it going for a while longer.
If the fluid level is dropping and there is no sign of a leak at the central joint then it can only be leaking out of the slave cylinder in the gearbox.

If you have an under-tray then it could be dripping down on to this not on the floor where it would be obvious. It leaks at the bottom of the gear-box joint with the engine.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2022, 19:10   #18
PaulR
Regular poster

Thanks for the information. I have decided to keep it going for a while if I can then to get a Borg and Beck replacement from Mr Clutch. My previous one came from there and I had no problems with it. I went for the replacement with metal cylinders because that seemed to be the most robust and trouble free but in retrospect that does not appear to be the case.

Would there be any problems going back to a plastic slave cylinder in view of the metal piping now fitted?
Old 14th January 2022, 20:48   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I have decided to keep it going for a while if I can then to get a Borg and Beck replacement from Mr Clutch. My previous one came from there and I had no problems with it. I went for the replacement with metal cylinders because that seemed to be the most robust and trouble free but in retrospect that does not appear to be the case.

Would there be any problems going back to a plastic slave cylinder in view of the metal piping now fitted?
Trikey could answer that question.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2022, 21:13   #20
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Trikey could answer that question.--
i shall try....

Yes, it would be a problem, you would have to refit the plastic pipe to be compatible with the original cylinder.

On the plus side, the vibrations into the cam from the copper pipe would be gone