Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th January 2022, 10:41   #11
Raven Black
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Default plates

What a nasty horrid place Uk has become. I bought my car with those plates and as far as i know they have always been on car. Never had a problem with mots etc, no one ever said anything.
Old 19th January 2022, 11:05   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Black View Post
What a nasty horrid place Uk has become. I bought my car with those plates and as far as i know they have always been on car. Never had a problem with mots etc, no one ever said anything.

UK laws are no way near as strict as most other civilised countries.

We just moan louder and more often!
Old 19th January 2022, 11:15   #13
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

This is modern life, unfortunately there are too many choices (Some lawful, and some no-so lawful) a disregard for what is legal and no measures of substance to enforce it. I understand there are extremes regarding "The STRETCH" of laws, but too much choice makes it too easy to break away from the legal.
It interests me how these improperly spaced number plates can still be made and sold, it was my understanding that various proofs were needed in order to buy replacement number plates, and that a producer's postcode was to appear on the plate in order to trace where it was made. Still the bending of rules stretches as far as the eye can see, the show goes on !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 11:36   #14
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

They are just scared in case Joe public can’t be read by anpr cameras and they might lose a few ££ in the coffers, go only knows how Boris will manage without his supply of cheese and wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19th January 2022, 11:54   #15
rover2300

Rover 75 Saloon

If any member lost their pride and joy, they would hope the Police might get it back, one of the ways is with ANPR, but this relies on correctly specified number plates, so if you don't comply, less chance of getting it back, shame.
BTW most ANPR's are used to catch "Criminals".
rover2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 12:36   #16
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Anpr has been brought in as a cost saving, less officers on the beat to do proper police work, cameras managed by public servants.

Don’t be fooled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19th January 2022, 12:43   #17
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Not seen the tweet so don't know how it was worded exactly, however if Surrey Police are claiming 4D plates aren't legal they are talking out their backsides. Seems to be quite a common attitude of traffic police these days who don't even know the rules and laws they're enforcing and make it up as they go.

Just take this one for example. Evo X with a factory fitted plate angled on the bumper getting pulled. Placement is perfectly legal, they come from the factory like that. The police have their own Evo X with the number plate in the exact same place https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QiNMaHSTUA

Here's the correct legality around number plates explained.

Up until 1st September 2021 the British standard for number plates was BSAU 145D. Under this standard the following was legal/allowed (I've included pics of each of these style plates below for those who don't know how they look):

- standard font number plates

- 3D font number plates (this is where two tones of colours are used to give 2D flat text a 3D look effect).

- Carbon font (in 2D and gel style).

- Highline font plates

- 3D gel style plates

- 4D plates

Since 1st September 2021 number plates have to be made to comply with the new BSAU 145E standard. Here's what is legal/allowed under the new standard:

- standard font number plates.

- Highline font plates

- 3D gel style plates

- 4D plates

The only options no longer allowed are 3D style fonts, carbon coloured text and highline fonts. This is because the new standard states that characters must be solid black, as they "claim" these fonts can't be detected by ANPR cameras which is nonsense as I have 3D font plates on the typhoon for years and have always been detected by them. This change DOES NOT affect 3D gel style plates and 4D plates which are still perfectly legal under the new standard. However the 3D and 4D characters must be purely black, those 4D plates offered with a coloured outline in the background have never been legal.

Also, if your plates were made to the old standard and have the BSAU 145D marking on them and have the 3D style font, carbon font or highline font, they are still perfectly legal as they comply with the BSAU 145D standard as the plates were made before the new standard came into play.

The only number plates that have to comply with the new standards are plates made on or after 1st September 2021 with the new BSAU 145E standard marking on them (or any that were made prior to 1st September 2021 with the BSAU 145E marking on them).

Here's examples of each type of number plates mentioned above and whether they are legal or not under both British standards.

Standard number plate: BSAU 145D = Legal. BSAU 145E = Legal

3D font plates: BSAU 145D = Legal. BSAU 145E = Not Legal

Carbon font number plates (in 2D, gel or 4D style) BSAU 145D = Legal. BSAU 145E = Not Legal

Highline number plate: BSAU 145D = Legal. BSAU 145E = Not Legal

3D gel number plates: BSAU 145D = Legal. BSAU 145E = Legal

4D number plates: BSAU 145D = Legal. BSAU 145E = Legal

Some of you may have come across Met Police Sergeant officer Owen Messenger on the George's Car Media Youtube channel (also on facebook and instagram) who do very informative videos on what mods are and aren't allowed on cars. They covered this topic on number plates and Owen confirmed all of this backed with info he received from the DVLA. See this video here (they digress a little talking about George's car but everything is clearly confirmed in this video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJh9xjnZ2vY

So in summary, as long as the plates meet all other requirements such as font, character size, spacing, and the requirement to have the BSAU standard and the manufacturer postcode at the bottom of the number plates etc....physically 3D and 4D plates made under the old British Standard and new British Standard are perfectly legal. 3D effect plates (2D with a 3D effect) and also carbon plates are perfectly legal if they have the BSAU 145D British Standard marking on them. There is absolutely nothing in the British Standards that makes physically 3D or 4D number plates illegal.

Other sources:
DVLA:https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number...-number-plates
BNMA: https://www.bnma.org/advice-centre/t...rd-bs-au-145e/
https://www.utopiaplates.co.uk/blog/...september-2021
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link

Last edited by Rick-sta; 19th January 2022 at 12:48..
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 13:03   #18
Twisterboy
Loves to post

75 Connoisseur SE in BRG

Thanks Rick-sta that's very helpful, and for posting the video from the Police Sergeant, that's the one I was thinking of as I remember watching it at the time, but could not remember the channel.

Davy

2004 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

51 of 118 Rover 75s to come off the production line on 21st July 2004

71 of only 235 British Racing Green diesel face lift Connoisseur SE saloons with Sandstone Beige Interiors produced worldwide

Mileage April 2022: 120225 or 2914 in my custody
Twisterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2022, 13:07   #19
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Not seen the tweet so don't know how it was worded exactly, however if Surrey Police are claiming 4D plates aren't legal they are talking out their backsides. ...........

Ok - before we get into a police bashing mode, which is not fitting for a Rover members forum, the tweet actually says: 'We are currently finding a significant number of 3D / 4D style number plates which are illegal.' It then goes onto offer advice on how to obtain legal plates.

I read the tweet as a statement that they are finding significant numbers of illegal 3D/4D number plates. Not that all 3D/4D number plates are illegal. Hence post no. 2 which occurs immediately after the OP's post no. 1.
Old 19th January 2022, 13:20   #20
MSS
This is my second home

For sake of completeness, here is the tweet.

https://twitter.com/surreyroadcops/s...37208256348162

Note that the third tweet down states:

'For clarity, we don’t mean all 3D / 4D plates are illegal, but we are finding large numbers which are. The most common places where illegal ones are purchased from are Instagram, Facebook and tradition Markets / Car Boot sales - some will even claim to be ‘DVLA registered’ etc.'