Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th January 2022, 21:35   #1
Kaloz

Rover 75 Saloon

Default 1.8 Running Temperature Question

I have just replaced my thermostat and radiator. Using the obd (19 then 7) my engine heats up quickly and runs at 93-96c, depending on speed, with 99 showing when idling in slow moving or stopped traffic.
Are these temperatures ok?
Kaloz
Kaloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2022, 21:39   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Nope, too hot!

Are you running the PRT thermostat?
Old 20th January 2022, 22:15   #3
Kaloz

Rover 75 Saloon

No, It’s in the original position.
Have run the car for 10 miles or so for three days, with one journey of 60 miles. 93 has been the usual temperature, but the engine has smelt of hot water afterwards, which did not seem right.
What should the temperature be, and what should I do to achieve that?
After this problem I will PM you about a T4 session
Old 21st January 2022, 08:47   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaloz View Post
... my engine ... runs at 93-96c ... with 99 showing when idling in slow moving or stopped traffic.
Are these temperatures ok?
Yes Nigel, they couldn't be better.

Regarding the smell of "hot water", check that you haven't filled the expansion tank above the 'Max' tab visible inside. After the repair work did you refill and bleed the system exactly as specified by MG Rover?

Simon
Old 21st January 2022, 09:38   #5
Kaloz

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Yes Nigel, they couldn't be better.

Regarding the smell of "hot water", check that you haven't filled the expansion tank above the 'Max' tab visible inside. After the repair work did you refill and bleed the system exactly as specified by MG Rover?

Simon
Yes it is just above the mark, all the ridges are showing though. I will extract some coolant.
The system was filled as specified by MG Rover, temperature checked using the obd. Couldn’t get the fan to come on; coolant temperature peaked at 96. Left overnight and rechecked/refilled, to find there was a leak at the thermostat housing.
System removed, redone, refilled as specified- to find a red streak of coolant dripping half way down the radiator.
System removed, replaced, refilled as specified. Temperature again peaked at 96. Left to cool, coolant level checked ok, and has remained at this level for the three days I have used the car.
Top and bottom hoses were replaced. Interestingly, the bottom hose has a plastic joint to separate the two halves of that hose-not one unit like the original (from Rimmer Bros) so it would not be to difficult to fit a PRT thermostat.
Did consider this but couldn’t work out the plumbing arrangements.
Old 21st January 2022, 13:28   #6
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
No, It’s in the original position.
Have run the car for 10 miles or so for three days, with one journey of 60 miles. 93 has been the usual temperature, but the engine has smelt of hot water afterwards, which did not seem right.
What should the temperature be, and what should I do to achieve that?
After this problem I will PM you about a T4 session
My 1.8t - runs at 90-94 depending on road conditions and ambient temp - only see 95 and above in stop start conditions or when held in traffic .

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2022, 16:37   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Yes it is just above the mark, all the ridges are showing though. I will extract some coolant.
The system was filled as specified by MG Rover, temperature checked using the obd. Couldn’t get the fan to come on; coolant temperature peaked at 96. Left overnight and rechecked/refilled, to find there was a leak at the thermostat housing.
System removed, redone, refilled as specified- to find a red streak of coolant dripping half way down the radiator.
System removed, replaced, refilled as specified. Temperature again peaked at 96. Left to cool, coolant level checked ok, and has remained at this level for the three days I have used the car.
Top and bottom hoses were replaced. Interestingly, the bottom hose has a plastic joint to separate the two halves of that hose-not one unit like the original (from Rimmer Bros) so it would not be to difficult to fit a PRT thermostat.
Did consider this but couldn’t work out the plumbing arrangements.
Are you sure there isn't a PRT in that lower joint already? Having 2 thermostats would play havoc with your temperature.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2022, 19:11   #8
Kaloz

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Are you sure there isn't a PRT in that lower joint already? Having 2 thermostats would play havoc with your temperature.
I have wondered about that, but as I bought a new bottom hose from Rimmer Bros and fitted it I am sure that they did not give me something for nothing. There is a plastic joining fitting for the bottom hose , but it had all the pipe work in place to suit what it was replacing.
Old 21st January 2022, 19:21   #9
Kaloz

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
My 1.8t - runs at 90-94 depending on road conditions and ambient temp - only see 95 and above in stop start conditions or when held in traffic .
Took the car out today for a long run- one and a half hours out and two and a half on return due to traffic jams in Boston. I had reduced to coolant in the header tank to the maximum mark. Engine sat at 93 apart from when accelerating when the temperature moved to 94 and then back to 93.
The temperature on the return trip was the same until we attempted to travel through Boston when it moved to 99. Faster travel moved the temperature back down steadily to 93. I will get this engine checked out to be sure it is safe.
Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated.
Old 21st January 2022, 19:36   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Couldn’t get the fan to come on; coolant temperature peaked at 96.
That's good news Nigel. Your fan won't start until 104˚C so don't worry about that. My KV6 is the same as yours; normal temperatures are in the low nineties unless the car is stationary.
Quote:
I will get this engine checked out to be sure it is safe.
Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated.
No need to get the engine checked Nigel, from what you've said it's running perfectly.

Simon