Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st October 2021, 16:38   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default How to trace service records.

I'm hoping someone on here will have experience of doing this. I would like to find my Grandads military service records, I believe this is possible, but I've no idea where to start. I've got a brown book that says 'Soldiers service and pay book' on the cover, but it's so old a delicate that I don't like handling it too much, I've got photos of each page, but some of the writing is hard to read, particularly the pages about what training he did. Theres also a little blue book, that says membership card along the top, and then in the middle says 'Special Air Service Regimental Association. This is in much better condition, but it's all just printed, very little personal details, just his name 'R. Williams' and a membership number of 329.

There are also a few badges, one says EGYPT and Gloucestershire. Another says Devonshire, and then one that is a crown at the top and a big curved horn below, with PA but no other writing. There is also a badge that's very unclear, but looks as though it might be a WWI tank in the middle surrounded by a star sort of shape and then a ring of leaves or something. and finally a winged dagger, with the banner who dares wins, but this looks a lot newer and far better condition than the others, so not sure when it is from. Also just found an NVA badge, which I think is the Normandy Veterans Association.

I also have his small medals (sadly the proper medals went to my uncle, who later died and the medals passed to my cousin, rather than my Dad, and no idea what he's done with them). There are 2 stars, one with dark blue, red and light blue striped ribbons, the other has red, white, green, white, red stripes. Then 3 round medals, 1st ribbon is green, black, green, orange, green, black, green, the 2nd is red, blue, white, red, white, blue, red, and 3rd is purple, green, purple with a bar saying Palestine 1945-48.

Can anyone point me in the direction of finding out more about what he did during the war?

I do have photos of these things on my phone, I just need to try and get them uploaded sometime. Any help is much appreciated. I did find a .gov site but from what I could see, I wouldn't be able to use that service.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2021, 16:48   #2
janker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon & MGZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
I'm hoping someone on here will have experience of doing this. I would like to find my Grandads military service records, I believe this is possible, but I've no idea where to start. I've got a brown book that says 'Soldiers service and pay book' on the cover, but it's so old a delicate that I don't like handling it too much, I've got photos of each page, but some of the writing is hard to read, particularly the pages about what training he did. Theres also a little blue book, that says membership card along the top, and then in the middle says 'Special Air Service Regimental Association. This is in much better condition, but it's all just printed, very little personal details, just his name 'R. Williams' and a membership number of 329.

There are also a few badges, one says EGYPT and Gloucestershire. Another says Devonshire, and then one that is a crown at the top and a big curved horn below, with PA but no other writing. There is also a badge that's very unclear, but looks as though it might be a WWI tank in the middle surrounded by a star sort of shape and then a ring of leaves or something. and finally a winged dagger, with the banner who dares wins, but this looks a lot newer and far better condition than the others, so not sure when it is from. Also just found an NVA badge, which I think is the Normandy Veterans Association.

I also have his small medals (sadly the proper medals went to my uncle, who later died and the medals passed to my cousin, rather than my Dad, and no idea what he's done with them). There are 2 stars, one with dark blue, red and light blue striped ribbons, the other has red, white, green, white, red stripes. Then 3 round medals, 1st ribbon is green, black, green, orange, green, black, green, the 2nd is red, blue, white, red, white, blue, red, and 3rd is purple, green, purple with a bar saying Palestine 1945-48.

Can anyone point me in the direction of finding out more about what he did during the war?

I do have photos of these things on my phone, I just need to try and get them uploaded sometime. Any help is much appreciated. I did find a .gov site but from what I could see, I wouldn't be able to use that service.
Hi if i were you i would start at the following link and get the free 14 day trial you should get some information with the details you have.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/sear...s-and-conflict

good luck

My New Addition
MGZT 190 Trophy Blue 2001 Petrol.
janker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2021, 20:37   #3
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

I looked into both my grandfathers service records but they served in WW1 those are held in the National archives and can be accessed and downloaded for a fee.
But due to a fire some are damaged and some destroyed, I was lucky although water damaged they were readable.

Not sure if the WW2 records have been released yet.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2021, 21:34   #4
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

The 3 round medals I think could be:

1st ribbon. Green, black, green, orange, green, black, green. The Defence Medal. Click

Awarded for non-operational service such as those service personnel working in headquarters, on training bases and airfields and members of the Home Guard. Also awarded for non-operational service overseas for example in India or South Africa. The colours of the ribbon symbolise enemy attacks on Britain’s ‘green and pleasant land’ and the black out. To apply for it you must have either:

1080 days (3 years) service in the UK between 3 Sep 1939 and 8 May 1945
1080 days (3 years) service in the Home Guard between 14 May 1940 and 31 Dec 1944 (you will also need to fill out and send the Home Guard service questionnaire)
360 days (1 year) non operational service overseas between 3 Sep 1939 and 2 Sep 1945
180 days non operational service in an overseas area deemed to be closely threatened or subject to air attack between 3 September 1939 and 8 May 1945

2nd ribbon. Red, blue, white, red, white, blue, red. The War Medal 1939-1945. Click

Awarded to all full time personnel of the armed forces wherever they were serving. Was granted in addition to campaign stars and the Defence Medal. The colours of the ribbon represent the Union Jack. To apply for the War Medal you must have served at least 28 days between 3 September 1939 and 2 September 1945.

3rd ribbon. Purple, green, purple with a bar saying Palestine 1945-48. The General Service Medal (GSM) 1918-1962. Click

Awarded to army and RAF personnel who meet the qualifying criteria for service in the area defined on the clasp.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2021, 18:52   #5
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Thanks all, given me some pointers. Those links to the medals are spot on! I will update here if I do get anywhere.
Old 23rd October 2021, 21:01   #6
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

The 2 Star medals I think could be:

1st ribbon. Dark blue, red, light blue. The 1939-1945 Star. Click

Awarded to personnel who completed operational service overseas between 3 September 1939 and 8 May 1945 (2 Sept 1945 in Far East). The colours of the ribbon represent the 3 services. To apply for it you must have:

180 days operational service in the army in the above qualifying areas
180 days operational service as ground crew in the RAF in the above qualifying areas
60 days operational service as aircrew in the RAF in the above qualifying areas
180 days service afloat in operational areas in the Royal Navy in the above qualifying areas

Aircrew recipients may also be eligible for:

Battle of Britain Clasp. (must have served as aircrew on a fighter aircraft/been engaged in the Battle of Britain between 10 July 1940 and 31 October 1940)

Bomber Command Clasp. (must have served as aircrew with a UK based Bomber Command Unit/served between 3 September 1939 and 8 May 1945)

2nd ribbon. Red, white, green, white, red. The Italy Star. Click

Awarded for operational service in Sicily or Italy between 11 July 1943 and 8 May 1945. Those who served in Yugoslavia, Greece, Corsica or Sardinia between certain other specified dates will also qualify. The colours of the ribbon represent the national colours of Italy. To apply for it you must have:

1 day of operational service in the army in the above qualifying areas
1 day of operational service as ground crew in the RAF in the above qualifying areas
1 operational sortie as aircrew in the RAF in the above qualifying areas
1 day afloat on operational service in the above qualifying areas in the Royal Navy and already qualified for the 1939 to 1945 Star
Old 23rd October 2021, 21:20   #7
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

If you're not next of kin, you will have to wait 25 yrs since they deceased, unless you get permission from their next of kin. It will cost £30 per record, direct from MOD.

Have a read here: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records It should tell you all you need to know .

Hope this helps,

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2021, 21:41   #8
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
The 2 Star medals I think could be:

1st ribbon. Dark blue, red, light blue. The 1939-1945 Star. Click
Thanks, again you've got them both! Now I know roughly where he must have been
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
If you're not next of kin, you will have to wait 25 yrs since they deceased, unless you get permission from their next of kin. It will cost £30 per record, direct from MOD.

Have a read here: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records It should tell you all you need to know .

Hope this helps,

Cliff
Thanks, that's the site I found, what I wasn't sure about was whether I'd be able to apply. My Grandfather died in 1999, his wife died in 2014. Their son died in 2013, leaving my Dad and his 2 sisters, so would consent from one of them be ok.

And then the bit about £30 per record, I don't know if it is all sent as one record, or do they do it per regiment or something, if the former then fine, but if the latter, it could soon rack up to quite a bit.

*edit* I've now got the photos uploaded, so here are a few:

Last edited by bikerdude666; 23rd October 2021 at 21:49..
Old 26th October 2021, 18:07   #9
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Regards 3 of the 7 badges:

1. The Royal British Legion (RBL). It identifies itself with the words on it. Founded 1921 as a voice for the ex-service community and granted royal charter in 1925. Click

Service in the military is no longer a requirement of Legion membership.

2. NVA 1944. The Normandy Veterans' Association (NVA). Formed some years after WW2, in 1981 believe it or not. An association of ex-servicemen who took part in the Normandy D-Day landings of June 1944. Sadly disbanded in November 2014 because of dwindling numbers. Click

3. The Devonshire Regiment (The Devons). Another which identifies itself with the words displayed on it. An infantry regiment whose formation and history dates back to the 1600's. It first saw action against the Irish Army of the deposed James II at the Battle of the Boyne in July 1690. Since 1958 it has undergone a number of amalgamations starting with The Dorset Regiment. Click

For WW2 its 1st battalion was in the far east for the war's entirety so I think it likely that your grandfather's association with the Devons might have been through its 2nd battalion which was in action much closer to home. The 2nd battalion took part in the Italian campaign and the Normandy landings but given the timeline of events I do wonder if your grandfather might have been with a different regiment when he qualified for The Italy Star.

Info supplied by a member as proof of eligibility to join an association could be useful so may be worth exploring this route before spending any cash. That is not to say that any service provided will be foc and the requirement for help might be similar if not the same to the MOD - death certificate etc., etc.. Regards next of kin for a service record, the MOD I believe use a list of precedence and they take the 1st living relative on the list to be NOK. The list is longer but from what you have posted in your case it will look like this:

* Wife
* Children
* Grandchildren

Last edited by WillyHeckaslike; 26th October 2021 at 18:11..