Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th December 2021, 11:36   #1
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Petrol Fuel Pump.

Right my expert friends, I'm hoping for a little help.

So after the no start yesterday I've done some digging this morning.

Fuse has continuity for the pump however it is a 30A. Am I correct in thinking the fuel pump should be 20A?

I have taken out the filter and even though it looked assembled I took it apart and reassembled just in case. Still nothing.

Yesterday I got the engine started by spraying carb cleaner directly into the fuel rail so I know it's not getting fuel.

Main question, is there anything left to check before I order a new fuel pump or take it to the garage? Since petrol pumps don't seem to fail that often how do people feel about fitting a used part? And finally if I manage to get towed to a petrol station and half fill the tank will the car start or does this only apply to diesels?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Shaun

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk
FantasticMrFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 12:15   #2
Thunderbolt
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticMrFish View Post
Right my expert friends, I'm hoping for a little help.

So after the no start yesterday I've done some digging this morning.

Fuse has continuity for the pump however it is a 30A. Am I correct in thinking the fuel pump should be 20A?

I have taken out the filter and even though it looked assembled I took it apart and reassembled just in case. Still nothing.

Yesterday I got the engine started by spraying carb cleaner directly into the fuel rail so I know it's not getting fuel.

Main question, is there anything left to check before I order a new fuel pump or take it to the garage? Since petrol pumps don't seem to fail that often how do people feel about fitting a used part? And finally if I manage to get towed to a petrol station and half fill the tank will the car start or does this only apply to diesels?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Shaun

Others will be here soon who know more, but I had to do the orange clip thing on the filter to get the pressure up on Dad’s ZT-T 190
Old 4th December 2021, 19:48   #3
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

When you turn the ign on can you hear the fuel pump prime and what year is your car?
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2021, 20:37   #4
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
When you turn the ign on can you hear the fuel pump prime and what year is your car?
I did try to listen but couldn't hear anything.

It's a 2002

Old 4th December 2021, 20:42   #5
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Its unlikely your fuel filter is the prob then, there are 4 black coloured relays at the top of the passenger footwell fusebox, swap out the horn one for the fuel pump and see if that starts it.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2021, 08:46   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I did try to listen but couldn't hear anything.
Try? I know what you mean Shaun. This is very important to reach the correct diagnosis so either recruit an assistant to turn on the ignition whilst you place your ear next to the open fuel filler or better still, lift the rear seat cushion so that you can hear the pump directly.

Simon
Old 5th December 2021, 10:48   #7
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Try? I know what you mean Shaun. This is very important to reach the correct diagnosis so either recruit an assistant to turn on the ignition whilst you place your ear next to the open fuel filler or better still, lift the rear seat cushion so that you can hear the pump directly.

Simon
I did lift the back seat and the pump cover but I'm going to have another go today, I'll try swapping the relays. I fear if it's the pump I'm going to send it to the garage as I don't feel like working on a fiddly job in the current weather.

Is it just the diesels that work over 1/4 tank or does that apply to petrols too. Would just make it easier to get it to the garage.

Shaun

Old 5th December 2021, 12:57   #8
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
I did lift the back seat and the pump cover but I'm going to have another go today, I'll try swapping the relays. I fear if it's the pump I'm going to send it to the garage as I don't feel like working on a fiddly job in the current weather.

Is it just the diesels that work over 1/4 tank or does that apply to petrols too. Would just make it easier to get it to the garage.

Shaun

Ok, so having enlisted the help of the better half I had my ear to the pump when she turned on the ignition and the pump appears to be "pumping".

This is good and bad. Good that it's not the pump, bad in the sense I now am stumped as to the issue.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Shaun

Old 5th December 2021, 13:39   #9
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Ok, so having enlisted the help of the better half I had my ear to the pump when she turned on the ignition and the pump appears to be "pumping".

This is good and bad. Good that it's not the pump, bad in the sense I now am stumped as to the issue.

Any guidance would be appreciated

Shaun

Just to note, I have checked the filter for a third time. I will be ordering the FOC since the bayonette is now loose where it was ceased on before.

Only thing filter related is it's a bit manky (the actual filter) could this be blocking the fuel system.

Trying to familiarise myself with the fuel path can anyone tell me what the attached photo is please?

Shaun

Old 5th December 2021, 13:47   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Hello Shaun, so the pump's running, but there's insufficient juice getting to the engine to start it. This suggests two possibilities. Either the pump's pumping mechanism has failed (most unlikely I reckon) or there's a filter issue. I'd bet on the latter.
You're car's in the right age bracket to be susceptible to FFS (Fuel Filter Syndrome) so it's pretty likely to be the cause. If the filter leakage is bad enough, the fuel pressure drops too low to start the engine. Whatever fuel is in the tank will also get transfered away from the pump side to ultimately leave it high and dry. Continuous attempts to start the engine will ensure that, so adding a few litres to the tank (which goes into the pump side) may allow the engine to start. However, the fix for FFS is to fit the orange clip. Remember also, that opening up the filter module out of curiosity may make matters worse by displacing the O-ring sealing the filter case. I've been there and done that and it doubles the work. So, check if the filter has an orange clip fitted and if not, fit one. That will eliminate the primary cause of non-starting in later petrol models.
Good luck.
TC
EDIT: I was writing this as you were updating your thread.
The item you're holding is the fuel vapour canister purge valve which clips to the wall of the battery box. It's an emissions control system and not associated with non-starting. The filter element will look manky. They go black within a few months from new. It isn't a service item and should be fine. Fit a clip as suggested and take it from there.
The 1.8T pump fuse is rated 30amps.

Last edited by T-Cut; 5th December 2021 at 14:09..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote