Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th December 2021, 13:21   #1
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Default Unplugging fuel pump connector?

Pretty basic, but I'm trying to unplug the connector on the ZT fuel pump so I can take some resistance readings i.a.w. T-Cut's diagram. The connector top sleeve slides towards the o/s door about 10mm, but the connector won't pull off. I'm being gentle as I don't want to break anything. Am I misunderstanding how this connector works? Has anyone a video/ pics of how it disconnects?

Why am I doing this? The instrument panel gauge is reading wrong again, some times past the full mark!
The IPK test indicates ~
6.0 000 (this would normally be something like the 6.2 reading)
6.2 545

The tank is pretty full atm so 54 litres could be correct. I was wanting to check whether the variable resistor is giving a realistic reading on both sides...
Old 28th December 2021, 09:33   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Have a look in the clubs general forum.---Some info there that might be of help to you with your fuel gauge problem.

Under--Fuel gauge fault.--Yours could be the same.--

Last edited by COLVERT; 28th December 2021 at 09:36..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2021, 10:22   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Pretty basic, but I'm trying to unplug the connector on the ZT fuel pump so I can take some resistance readings i.a.w. T-Cut's diagram. The connector top sleeve slides towards the o/s door about 10mm, but the connector won't pull off. I'm being gentle as I don't want to break anything. Am I misunderstanding how this connector works? Has anyone a video / pics of how it disconnects?
Hello Michael, addly enough I've never had reason to disconnect the pump, so all I can tell you is what Haynes says:
Release the locking catch and disconnect the wiring connector.

Not very informative, but releasing a catch seems different from sliding the connector top sleeve. Is the sleeve a protective cover rather than a catch? I've no idea.
I'm sure someone here will know exactly how to do it.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2021, 16:32   #4
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Thanks TC. I got the connector off no problem today, when it wasn’t pouring with rain and I wasn’t kneeling in a puddle! I sprayed with contact cleaner, and that broke whatever was bonding it in place.

In the checks: Pin 1/4 in spec (177ohms). Pin 5/2 in spec. Pin 6/3 open circuit. The open circuit might explain the 6.0 ipk reading being 000, although the reading sometimes changes to something like the 6.2 reading (544) whist driving around.

The problem could be a bad connection or broken cable to the fuel filter sender in the tank. As the tank is pretty full, nothing I can do atm. I’ll monitor and maybe try to fix when emptier.

Gauge is reading 7/8, which is plausible, but sometimes goes well past 8/8, even when ignition is switched off. I’ve read that there is some sort of algorithm in the control unit that decides what the gauge reads depending on the sender input and applies some ‘damping’ to stop sloshing affecting it. This is my first 75/ ZT and the only car I’ve had which the fuel gauge can’t be trusted.
Old 28th December 2021, 20:51   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

My post 2 no interest to you then??------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2021, 22:08   #6
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
My post 2 no interest to you then??------
Yeah thanks read the posts on similar probs and used the fuel pump pin diagram to test resistance.