Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 3rd March 2019, 16:46   #1
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Default "dont mention the War"

Have I missed it or are we having a "be nice to the Germans before we leave the EU" weekend? No observations on the flaming BMW's?? Come on give them a bit of stick. Chris.S.
Old 3rd March 2019, 17:45   #2
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

We were told repeatedly in the run up to the referendum that there was zero chance of German car (including BMW) industry allowing us to leave the EU without a good trade deal.
Must say they are leaving it a bit late!
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:00   #3
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Before the referendum it was assumed in the event of leave winning that we would get a Prime minister that beleived in brexit, and was capable of negotiation in the national interest.
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:15   #4
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonboy View Post
Before the referendum it was assumed in the event of leave winning that we would get a Prime minister that beleived in brexit, and was capable of negotiation in the national interest.
Wasn't Theresa May in the "Remainer" camp before the referendum? Now she is trying to get some kind of best deal without any real negotiating power - in a deal she never personally believed in. Odd situation.

My opinion that nobody asked for - the EU is bu66ered, too big and self-important, too dictatorial, and, to many of my European friends, has become known as the Brussels mafia. It should have been nothing more that a super-duper trade agreement among member countries - a kind of Schengen Area on steroids. Let the individual countries have and maintain their own politics, policies, traditions, history - real autonomy, I guess, without outside interference.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:20   #5
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
We were told repeatedly in the run up to the referendum that there was zero chance of German car (including BMW) industry allowing us to leave the EU without a good trade deal.
Must say they are leaving it a bit late!

The EU or Merkel don't really need to give the UK a decent or fair deal with the disaster that is Theresa May as head of the UK government.

She's possibly the only person in the world who would walk into a branch of DFS to buy a sofa and come out having paid full price.

Steve Baker who in the early days of negotiation was David Davies' assistant has repeatedly pointed out that an agreement similar to the advantageous one that the EU has with Canada was agreed with the EU virtually in the first days of talks. To his utter disbelief May intervened with her ultra remain civil servants and managed to negotiate a reasonable, virtually agreed deal, into the appalling dogs dinner that she has been pushing for months now.

If we had an even half competent negotiator with the authority to determiine a decent and fair to both deal, the EU badgered by the German car industry would be busting a gut to come to a commonly advantageous deal.

Remember this withdrawel agreement isn't even a trade deal, negotiations haven't even started on that yet, this is just basically the preamble to see what the idiot May and her Conservatives are going to hand over in advance.

I've no idea why we even need a WA, surely we just tell the EU that as an independent country this is what we're going to do and then start negotiating any possible trade deals.

Who here has ever bought a car by starting off saying that whatever happens during negotiations you are not going to walk away without buying it? Which is what the fools who are forcing through a no deal bargaining position are doing at the moment.

These people are so hopelessly incompetent that it defies belief.

At least their hopelessness has now been exposed on a daily basis to those who do not normally take an active interest in politics or the way that he country is run.
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:25   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonboy View Post

There was a slight problem - most of the key brexiteers did not put themselves forward for the job!

As a matter of interest, which of the brexiteers would you have liked to have seen PM?

Last edited by MSS; 3rd March 2019 at 18:37..
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:41   #7
dinky d
Avid contributor

Rover 75 cdti conn F/lift

Default Lets leave Brexit where it should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
There was a slight problem - most of the key brexiteers did not put themselves forward for the job!

As a matter of interest, which of the brexiteers would you have liked to have seen PM?
Dont think this is a forum for Brexit,it is every where I go,I came on here to get away from it.
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:46   #8
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Unfortunately, in my opinion, Boris Johnson was a complete opportunist, not really a brexiteer, and felt the leadership was his by divine right, Gove an equal opportunist felt the same, neither really believed in brexit, so we were left with Leadsom, who was instructed by Conservative central office to butt out, because the next round would have given grass roots membership the say in who would be party leader.
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:46   #9
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky d View Post
Dont think this is a forum for Brexit,it is every where I go,I came on here to get away from it.
I’m with you on this. This is not a political forum. There are plenty out there if you want a political discussion but not here. No offence intended but I have a clear opinion on this.
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:54   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky d View Post

Err......my post was in response to the one above - in fact the three posts above mine were on the same topic!

Also, the point I made is neither political nor about Brexit. It merely points out a simple principle that you cannot complain about lack of effective representation if those you consider effective do not put their hand up at the right time.

Overall, your point has merit but please target wisely!

Last edited by MSS; 3rd March 2019 at 19:04..
Closed Thread