Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st August 2021, 15:13   #11
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrover View Post
This is why I'm loath to take a car to the like of Halfords , Kwik Fit etc , they always seem to be looking for work , my local testing station has no angle to them at all , if it fails the MOT that's the end of it ," bring it back for a retest when you get it sorted " none of this "we can give you an estimate " nonsense .
Yes exactly what you want/need. Our Local Halfords are terrible for just this. They have even had a warning from the ministry who police MOT testing stations.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2021, 09:23   #12
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Just to add my perspectve to this post,
Many testers adopt the simple approach - test as presented.
Many testers can and will perform remedial rectifications to help obtain a pass without making a financial meal of things.
Many testers are driven by a bonus system to top up their salary (Which in some cases is very low anyway) to become a salesperson in disguise and hold the customer to randsome, many fast fit centres adopt this process but not openly advertised.

For me, I adopt to first two scenarios.
I test at a fleet solutions centre presently, so there is no real need to operate basic rectifications on an mot test because there are plenty of hungry technicians waiting for work daily with no bonus to earn. Re-alignment of headlamp aims cannot be done by them so that as a matter of course will be done during the test.
During spells of retail testing, basic rectifications are a matter of course as long as not creating bigger probblems - example replacing a bulb in some BMW rear lamps - some you cannot as they are sealed LED units, so being kind can bite you on the bum if not careful. The idea is to keep the good name and reputation of the MOT centre but also keeping inside the DVSA guidelines to not create massive issues for the tester and test centre.

In short, I have never worked for any bonus of pay enhancements, the job takes a time to complete, if you cheeat on areas to cut corners and perform in a substandard fashion, you will cause damage in almost every area - worst for the tester is an appeal to DVSA, then you can be sure of problems not worth any bonus.

An area of utter dispair for me is witnessing (So called testers) lack of skill and commitment to conducting quality work ethic in their testing, I find it disturbing working alongside such idiots who could'nt be trusted to test their own urine let alone a motor vehicle for compliance of minimum standards.

Rant over ! Good morning folks
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:17   #13
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donc View Post
I am posting this in the hope that it encourages members not to take without question the advice of those mot testers who feel the answer to any mot failure is to "buy a new car". My 1,8t failed recently on disastrous emission readings which led the garage owner to say I needed to get a new engine or completely overhaul the one I have. The car was at the end of its life anyway he said and the best way out was to scrap it. I had a diagnostic test and the answer was a faulty sensor - costing about £80. I took the car back for a retest and was told "it's now a different car". I reminded him of his earlier comments and he didn't know what to say.
You live and learn, avoiding the morons of this world is now more than ever a top priority, now you know where NOT to take your car for anything next time.!
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2021, 20:16   #14
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=297708

a good example
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2021, 13:55   #15
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I had an engine check light come on my Suzuki, garage said it needed a new EGR valve at £400 plus fitting . Fortunately they had included the diagnostic sheet with the invoice and I noticed it stated low gas flow not faulty EGR valve, so I took it off ,cleaned it all out, and all the pipe work , put it back with a new gasket . Total cost £2.50 and the light stayed out. These " Health" checks seem to me to be another money making scheme. Had two within 3 months at two different garages on my LR Discovery and the tyre depth had mysteriously increased by one or two mm over an extra two thousand miles of use.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2021, 17:36   #16
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
These " Health" checks seem to me to be another money making scheme. Had two within 3 months at two different garages on my LR Discovery and the tyre depth had mysteriously increased by one or two mm over an extra two thousand miles of use.
Could not agree more, I have a customer who took up Halfords free safety check and was told all her brakes needed replacing at a total cost of nearly £500 on a BMW Mini . She could not afford it and asked if I could do it for her. I had a look and all the pads were only 50% worn and the discs were perfectly good for at least another set of pads. She does about 3 to 4000 miles a year and I reckon the brakes on it will probably see another couple of years use at least.

I costed up the parts and it was just over £100 for quality parts and yes I know they come with a lifetime warranty but the car will be scrapped before it then.

Maybe these places should up there game rather than trying to scam people with unnecessary work.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2021, 20:33   #17
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Could not agree more, I have a customer who took up Halfords free safety check and was told all her brakes needed replacing at a total cost of nearly £500 on a BMW Mini . She could not afford it and asked if I could do it for her. I had a look and all the pads were only 50% worn and the discs were perfectly good for at least another set of pads. She does about 3 to 4000 miles a year and I reckon the brakes on it will probably see another couple of years use at least.

I costed up the parts and it was just over £100 for quality parts and yes I know they come with a lifetime warranty but the car will be scrapped before it then.

Maybe these places should up there game rather than trying to scam people with unnecessary work.
What is needed urgently is proper regulation to check and bring to account all the cowboys in any industry, from so called mechanics, electricians, roofers, gardeners everyone who is a so called professional, my advice is simple if you need any work done either on your car or your home, get a WRITTEN fully itemised quote, to include materials, details of work to be carried out, VAT and warranty, on headed company paper, and always book work to be carried out via the head office NOT engaging anyone whilst working on another's property, anyone who can hold a screwdriver nowadays is an engineer!!!, remember the place is full of morons waiting to rip you off,
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote