Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th July 2019, 21:58   #11
Marts motor

rover 75

No, she's off to uni in September and is less mechanically minded than I am
Marts motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 06:29   #12
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I had a car I didnt touch for 5 years. I put a battery on lots of cranking as it was a mechanical pump and off it went. Just needed tyres brakes and fluids for the mot. Also recently took on my late brothers ZT that stood almost 2 years. It required nothing to get an mot. Just a battery. Two tyres got advisories for perishing which I replaced. Get your car a once over before panicking. It might shock you!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2019, 12:49   #13
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

I guess the first question to actually ask, why was the car laid up - driver issues, or a car fault?
If it was a car fault, then obviously this will need rectifying.

Other than that, I would query when the belts were done - a simple enough job on the 1.8, but catastrophic if they fail.

I would be tempted to charge the battery (try a substitute battery if it doesn't hold a charge - 3 years is a long time), change the oil & oil filter. Eyeball the belts and make sure they are not cracked/perished, check the coolant level, throw a couple of gallon of fuel in, then give the engine a try and see what happens - As Dawn says, it may take a bit of effort to get going.

If the engine runs, keep an eye on the temperature and leave to run for say 20 mins (until hot) - and check that everything works as it should - clutch (if a manual), windows, heaters, engine cooling fan, door locks etc.
Note I have known clutches to "stick" when parked for a long time, so check you have pedal pressure, and if the clutch does not clear with the engine running, try turning the engine off, putting in gear, then with your foot on the brake & clutch try and start the engine.

After that, it then a case of assessing what the state of the car is - tyres, brakes & rust, and decide where you want to go from there - if the brakes work (both stop the car and release) then it may be worth chucking in for an MOT and seeing what it fails on (if anything - far cheaper than spending money sorting other things, to then find it has a terminal case of tinworm)

After 3 years stood, I would be tempted to do the oil&filter, air filter, change the belts, change the coolant, possibly flush the brake fluid through, and if an auto maybe even change the gearbox fluid - that way you know you have a nominally serviced car - although it all depends how much you want to spend, but if you are planning on your daughter using the car at uni, and if she isn't mechanically minded this may not be a bad starting point anyway.

Hope this is of some help
Regards
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2019, 23:42   #14
Marts motor

rover 75

Lots of good advice there, thanks. I'm off to visit my brother next week so I'll attempt a few of your ideas when I get back. Fingers crossed. Mart.
Marts motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2019, 06:07   #15
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Great advice from Chris! I had a full service, gear and brake fluid on the ZT afterwards at Lates. Should have mentioned that. But I put it in for the test first to see what it needed. I was'nt expecting a pass but sometimes they surprise you!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote