Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th December 2018, 11:09   #1
motornoter

MG ZT-T

Default Hello from new ZT-T owner, + production numbers?

Hi all,
Just acquired our first 75/ZT - after years of running Jag X-type Estates (lovely cars but thirsty in V6 form and prone to electrical glitches in diesel form), a ZT-T 160 turbo popped up locally. We've been fans (as a family) of K-Series engines for years, no.2 son and his gf run 200s, I had one in Argentina in the past and we've done a few head gasket changes and know it's not the end of the world, so decided to have a look at this one.
It was filthy, badly presented and there was K-seal in the coolant - I very nearly walked away but made a low offer and bought it! After a really good clean, valet and polish, it's looking stunning! There's a plastic hose junction in front of the engine that is cracked and weeping slightly (under £15 from Rimmer's) so I think that may be the reason for the K-Seal, because there is no emulsion in the cam cover/oil filler cap, even after a few hundred miles' use... PlastX polish has vastly improved the cloudy headlights and it's running well.
I read on here that only 118 ZT-T 1.8Ts were made - is that true? It seems an exceptionally low number! Is there a list of all models/options with production numbers available anywhere?
motornoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 11:30   #2
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Hello Malcolm and welcome to the club.

There's lots to read about on here to keep you occupied into the new year including some useful links in my forum signature

As for production numbers, according to the MG Rover build records, there were 301 1.8 non turbo ZT-Ts produced and 552 1.8 turbo ZT-Ts assembled, 290 of which were mk1 and 262 facelift models.
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 11:42   #3
motornoter

MG ZT-T

That's brilliant, thanks Reebs! So 290 of ours - still a small number but more believable than what I'd read elsewhere - excellent.

I've posted a couple of photos on our facebook page, LBLRallies - not sure if the link will work below...

Last edited by Reebs; 30th December 2018 at 16:58.. Reason: Fixed picture link
Old 30th December 2018, 11:47   #4
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Many of our members don't do facebook I'm afraid, me included. Perhaps you could post your pictures directly onto the forum too
Old 30th December 2018, 11:56   #5
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornoter View Post
Hi all,
Just acquired our first 75/ZT - after years of running Jag X-type Estates (lovely cars but thirsty in V6 form and prone to electrical glitches in diesel form), a ZT-T 160 turbo popped up locally. We've been fans (as a family) of K-Series engines for years, no.2 son and his gf run 200s, I had one in Argentina in the past and we've done a few head gasket changes and know it's not the end of the world, so decided to have a look at this one.
It was filthy, badly presented and there was K-seal in the coolant - I very nearly walked away but made a low offer and bought it! After a really good clean, valet and polish, it's looking stunning! There's a plastic hose junction in front of the engine that is cracked and weeping slightly (under £15 from Rimmer's) so I think that may be the reason for the K-Seal, because there is no emulsion in the cam cover/oil filler cap, even after a few hundred miles' use... PlastX polish has vastly improved the cloudy headlights and it's running well.
I read on here that only 118 ZT-T 1.8Ts were made - is that true? It seems an exceptionally low number! Is there a list of all models/options with production numbers available anywhere?
Hi -that figure is correct - but there are 2 specs for the zt-t 1.8 t - the higher spec i think was produced in number approx 350 units - your car - like mine is known as the poverty spec is wind up rear windows etc - and the figure for these is correct 118 - about 45 left on the road. You can of course upgrade if so minded - eg powerfold mirrors, xenon lights and electric rear windows. Things to think about on the turbo - check your coolant tank regularly , consider swopping out the plastic coolant t-piece for for a metal one - can be found e -bay. There are other things but you will pick up on that if you use this site - the best owners club site by a country mile.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 12:03   #6
motornoter

MG ZT-T

Thanks, guys!
Personally I like the poverty-spec - less to go wrong and it's lighter and livelier with the relatively small engine! Electric windows, sunroof, mirrors etc all add weight...
Struggling with posting photos though, I've looked at the Gallery pages but I don't have a Photobucket subscription and rarely use forums now that most have been superceded by Facebook - only the very best forums like this one are still thriving! Is there a simple way to upload pics? Sorry, you must get this question all the time...
Old 30th December 2018, 16:06   #7
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

I think you will find that the 1.8 k4 coupled with a garret turbo is an impressive beast performance wise and even more so if re-mapped to 200bhp - the engine was built for that Bhp but was limited to 160 bhp during production so as no to compete with the V6 or BMW's offerings at the time.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 17:01   #8
Reebs
Owners Club Director

I’ve managed to get your picture to show in your previous post. Trophy Blue by the look of it, and nice and tidy too
Old 30th December 2018, 17:15   #9
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Welcome
Lovely looking ZTT you have there........enjoy. I love mine

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 18:04   #10
Reebs
Owners Club Director

To filter it down further, there were only 23 Trophy Blue ZT-T 1.8T cars in 'Entry' base spec assembled worldwide and of those 23, only 6 had your interior of (WSJ) - Monaco Black with Blue Inserts.

As a guide to posting pictures on the forum, have you read this thread?

Posting Pictures or Photos - It's easy