Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th April 2019, 20:22   #9511
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

The weather forecast was fairly poor, so I cut the grass in the back garden, and backfilled the crater left after the removal of a huge conifer stump.

Bemused at the lack of rain as promised, I then removed the front seat of the ZT to repair the broken switch valance, so that was another 1/2 an hour job.

Full of enthusiasm at this point I decided that the sound deadening from under Mrs MB's rear seat would probably have dried out having spent a couple of years in the garage

So out with the seat cushion and unbolt the seat belt stalks, and then onto the squab, as per normal with these damned things, it was jammed solid

So out with the screwdriver and unjammed the latch then after a quick vacuum, the sound deadening went in.

Boxed everything back up and vacuumed the rest of the car.

Then it was time for tea.

Nice and relaxing day then.........my joints are protesting somewhat after the extreme gardening somewhat though

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 20:35   #9512
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default V6 Spark Plugs

Full of trepidation I decided that, having rolled over 100k and no mention of plugs in the service history, it was time to change the plugs. Thought I'd do the front bank first as they should be easier than the back. Not so easy - couldn't get my usual socket on the plugs - too thick walled. Longer, thinner walled tube spanner was too long to get on. Third was a Halfords T-socket that fitted beautifully but only had a small "t" so could get much leverage. Managed to get two out after a struggle but third was very tight. Put a bar on the T and it promptly snapped off. Borrowed a 4th spanner (box spanner) from a neighbour and finally eased it out. Popped the new plugs in, test, all good.
Deep breath, cup of tea and tackle the back bank. Remove the panel and use a mirror to take a look. Took the coils off - didn't drop any bolts :¬)
Plugs came out really easily so rear set actually took less time than the front, just more skinned fingers.
Front plugs were NGK and fairly worn. Rear three were marked NLP100290 and more worn - I suspect they are the originals. Not bad for 19 years old...
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 20:48   #9513
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
and backfilled the crater left after the removal of a huge conifer stump.
What!! That stump was a thing of legend!
Old 27th April 2019, 21:21   #9514
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
What!! That stump was a thing of legend!
It was a legendary pain in the backside to dig out, chop up, and get shot of.

Still the garden clear out will continue, as I've decided the workshop needs to be built so I can concentrate on better things in the future.

Next to go is the wooden hut, and foundations dug for the new man cave, one that need not be shared with a selfish prat

Brian
Old 28th April 2019, 11:44   #9515
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
one that need not be shared with a selfish prat
Wow! There must be a story there that I haven't heard! I spent the summer last year removing stumps from bushes and they were hard enough to do. I once had a JCB kick its front wheels in the air trying to pull a tree stump out. I've had huuuuuge respect for them ever since! Lots of digging and cutting with a reciprocating saw comes to mind. Take care - my back's never been the same since!
Old 28th April 2019, 12:25   #9516
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Wow! There must be a story there that I haven't heard! I spent the summer last year removing stumps from bushes and they were hard enough to do. I once had a JCB kick its front wheels in the air trying to pull a tree stump out. I've had huuuuuge respect for them ever since! Lots of digging and cutting with a reciprocating saw comes to mind. Take care - my back's never been the same since!
The hole was eight foot deep and fifteen across, and it took three chains for my chainsaw, and that's not counting the fact I'd sharpened each at least twice.

No digger involved, just a shovel and hard graft

Anyway today's job was much more sedate, I removed the drivers door card from the ZT, out with the badly scratched window glass, and carefully cleaned the lip seals, then fitted the one gifted to me last week by Saxo1980

It's a lot better than the one that came out, and I've derattled the sill button.

One down, eight to go

Brian
Old 28th April 2019, 15:26   #9517
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

The Mini Cooper and 200 coupe are both off the road so today I took the 75 to the ‘drive it day’ at Dalemain house

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 28th April 2019 at 15:27.. Reason: Spelling
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 15:59   #9518
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts
Default What I did with my Rover 75/MG ZT today?

Today I finished fitting the door cards along with a good set of rear window trims.

Old 28th April 2019, 16:15   #9519
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Today I finished fitting the door cards along with a good set of rear window trims.

They look the part

Debs needs to understand that the new stone crusher Bluebird is much betterer than the old V6 one
Old 28th April 2019, 18:14   #9520
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Completed the head gasket repair.

Now appear to have reversed my starting problem - it's now a bit more reluctant to start, but settles down once idle control/stabilisation sets in after 20secs or so.

Really losing faith to be honest, thoroughly sick of it just not being right.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote