Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2019, 16:07   #21
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Well volunteered to be the barman, Wes!

Let the good times roll............

Old 25th May 2019, 16:25   #22
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Having seen things from both sides political threads pretty much all end up heated. Each moderator can potentially view things differently and let a thread run as it may not start off as a political thread. This upsets the harmony of the forum and looks bad for anybody looking in. It’s incredibly difficult to view every thread as it starts. The best answer is a closed secret room hidden from the outside where you can talk about whatever you like. But, I guarantee people will fall out, self moderation generally doesn’t work. Just my thoughts

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
Old 25th May 2019, 16:29   #23
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Well volunteered to be the barman, Wes!

No thanks Bob, I would end up throwing the lot of you out.

Whoever the barman, or shall we say Landlord might be, they need to make sure there are plenty of lock-ins after hours.
Old 25th May 2019, 16:40   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
But, I guarantee people will fall out, self moderation generally doesn’t work. Just my thoughts
I can see this as well, however, there is the report function which would allow someone to report the thread with the hope that an impartial third party who would then do as they saw fit. (if they have time - which I am fully appreciative of, that moderators have lives to live too)

The biggest issue I have seen, is the lack of tolerance, sometimes from so called tolerant people. What I may feel is offensive or derogatory, another may see it as everyday normal thoughts. In the end it could simply be a misinterpretation. Misinterpretation, can and has happened on this forum on non political threads.

I would ask everyone, to simply pause for a moment, which is difficult in the heat of, to simply think 'could that offensive remark be said with a different tone than 'I' am reading it?' - benefit of the doubt an' all that.

Maybe I am just thick skinned, or just dont care what others think of me and can move on. This forum, is just that, a forum. It doesnt affect my life, in any negative way, and once you allow this imaginary place to do so, then it may be time to reconsider your internet activity.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 25th May 2019, 18:32   #25
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
The best answer is a closed secret room hidden from the outside where you can talk about whatever you like. But, I guarantee people will fall out, self moderation generally doesn’t work. Just my thoughts
It happens time and time again, a clash of personalities, old scores to settle, the bully mentality and those who are never wrong and will throw a tantrum if challenged. Then there are members who are part of select group “ a click” who will side up and push the minority out.

In the meantime there is a forum for political debate and discussion outside of this club the political diehards/desperados can try:

http://thepoliticalforums.com/forums/17-World-Affairs?

By all means have a closed room for bar talk, I suggest a trial period. I wouldn’t expect it to be moderated.
Old 25th May 2019, 18:58   #26
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

But surely a Bar Room is the wrong place to have a discussion. I have seen many little disagreements become a battle of fists after too many drinks in the Bar Room.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
Old 25th May 2019, 20:02   #27
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

It's ironic that this thread was started by 2 deliberately politically neutral/ambiguous comments that were simply a play on words. I don't know whether my comment (the second) was the last, or whether someone came on after me with something more offensive, but the next time I checked, they had been removed, with Stu's reminder being left instead. I have seen on other forums (without participating) how quickly the mention of Brexit can render members, normally capable of sensible discussion, - incandescent and abusive. So I reckon we should avoid such political discussions, except insofar as people can discuss factually, concerns directly relating to the car industry, avoiding baseless opinions assertions and speculation, and stick to less controversial topics, like why the pre-facelift 75 diesel is the best of the bunch.
Old 25th May 2019, 20:07   #28
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
It happens time and time again, a clash of personalities, old scores to settle, the bully mentality and those who are never wrong and will throw a tantrum if challenged. Then there are members who are part of select group “ a click” who will side up and push the minority out.

In the meantime there is a forum for political debate and discussion outside of this club the political diehards/desperados can try:

http://thepoliticalforums.com/forums/17-World-Affairs?

By all means have a closed room for bar talk, I suggest a trial period. I wouldn’t expect it to be moderated.
May I say, Phil, that yours is a stupendously written piece - something that one such as myself can only dream of.

I suspect the forum to which you linked is for those with a high degree of political knowledge, understanding and sophistication, whereas we here tend to be rather amateurish which I also suspect is the reason for the way that such political "debates" generally end up.

I do however feel that you may be mistaken about cliques and mutually supportive small groups on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Why not, because of this place I have made many friends, some I would class as lifelong friends, what better place to discuss things and have banter with mates and likeminded folk. We may not all agree on religion, politics, sex, or whatever, but we should have an area where we can banter about it all.
I suspect Andy, this is because you do not engage in the political threads and have not been at the receiving end of the overbearing tactics of a few that have caused many good members to leave the forum.

I for one believe that the day the forum management allow politics to be a valid subject for discussion on the forum, will be the day that the downward slide of the car side of forum begins/accelerates.
Old 25th May 2019, 20:13   #29
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
May I say, Phil, that yours is a stupendously written piece - something that one such as myself can only dream of.

I suspect the forum to which you linked is for those with a high degree of political knowledge, understanding and sophistication, whereas we here tend to be rather amateurish which I also suspect is the reason for the way that such political "debates" generally end up.

I do however feel that you may be mistaken about cliques and mutually supportive small groups on the forum.

I suspect Andy, this is because you do not engage in the political threads and have not been at the receiving end of the overbearing tactics of a few that have caused many good members to leave the forum.

I for one believe that the day the forum management allow politics to be a valid subject for discussion on the forum, will be the day that the downward slide of the car side of forum begins/accelerates.
The forum has been on a decline for a number of years Maninder, we had many outspoken member here at one time (Pab, Flyer, MrDoodles etc) It was a far livelier place back then.

I try not to engage in the political threads too much, I prefer to concentrate on the car side of things, I do like a 'free speech' attitude though, we are all different, good and bad amongst us all.
Old 26th May 2019, 06:57   #30
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

Good morning Maninder

You do realise? That the conduct of members writing in this thread is being monitored by the powers that be. Blow it here and I reckon there will be no chance of a bar room. I am not going to name names or clicks. It is clear you disagree with me on that point and that is your right. Some of your posts in the past irritated me. As a consequence I put you on the ignore list, temporarily and that feature is useful when needed.
Closed Thread