Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th July 2019, 13:09   #1
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts
Default New car park payment machines

So who pays for their parking using these new card payment machines?

It seems many towns and cities are now phasing out the old coin machines in favour of these new smart technology payment alternatives.

In my area down here in Dorset we have seen pretty much all coin payment parking machines be replaced with these new card only machines. You can still pay for your parking by using your phone or an app, but you can no longer pay using coins.

I have seen and spoke to many people who end up getting back in their cars and go off looking for somewhere else to park all due to them not wanting to pay for parking by card or phone, some have said they don't even have a card (visa or CC), or even a smartphone.

It seems the future is already here...
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 14:11   #2
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
So who pays for their parking using these new card payment machines?

It seems many towns and cities are now phasing out the old coin machines in favour of these new smart technology payment alternatives.

In my area down here in Dorset we have seen pretty much all coin payment parking machines be replaced with these new card only machines. You can still pay for your parking by using your phone or an app, but you can no longer pay using coins.

I have seen and spoke to many people who end up getting back in their cars and go off looking for somewhere else to park all due to them not wanting to pay for parking by card or phone, some have said they don't even have a card (visa or CC), or even a smartphone.

It seems the future is already here...

I've seen them in Bolton town centre but they still have the option of coins, the ones in the hospital car parks are still coinage and payment by phone but are out of action regular & as you said you see many older people who don't have mobile phones and are scared of getting a parking ticket and don't know what to do.

I have a mobile phone.....somewhere! I don't have a data package for it or even know how that sort of payment malarkey works!

If I'm going anywhere near the town centres these days I use the bus.

And they wonder why town centres are dying a slow death.

There are a lot of things changing & going online only, whereas before you could ring the council office to speak to someone, you now have to make an online account with them and use email .

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 14:28   #3
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Yeah, I dislike the phone parking machines. If not cash, I'll use the CC , but it's a real pain if you going to new places to work out the parking arrangements as they're so varied now and often not clear.
Old 11th July 2019, 15:32   #4
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

I met up with some old work colleagues for lunch a few months back in an area I was unfamiliar with. Parked the car (wifes Hyundai) and right away noticed the signs stating "pay by phone" only. Grrrr

It' quicker ans simpler says the sign, so I decide to give it a go.

1st thing, I have to download their stupid app. Phone didn't have a great signal, so I'm waving my 'phone around like a loon until the app is finally loaded.

Phew, now I can pay for my parking. NOPE! Next I have to register. Starting to get irritated now. More 'phone waving and some typing, followed by correcting the typos, then finally all done. At last!! Now to pay for the parking.

NOPE! Have to log a credit card first (really should have seen that coming).

Standing in the car park juggling wallet whilst waving 'phone to get a signal and simultaneously swearing like a trooper (getting REALLY annoyed by this time) I finally get the card logged. Now, can I PLEASE pay for my parking?

Yes! Success, and so much easier than putting a pound coin in the machine (NOT).

I know one of my old colleagues hates this kind of thing, so I'm looking forward to see what he has to say about it. When I broach the subject with him, he cheerily tells me it was no problem as ".. you don't have to pay until 16:00 hrs"!! That pleased me no end, I can tell you .

Really don't like these systems.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 16:25   #5
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

My g/son gave me a visit to Cheltenham races for my birthday.Myself,son and g/son boarded 2 trains and entry to racecourse, all done with his phone no tickets used. Grateful the battery didn't run out.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 16:34   #6
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

I love using the Ringo app for parking.
I tells you how long you've got left and if necessary you can usually top up
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 16:46   #7
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Not seen them yet, still all coin operated. I do like the ones that have contactless payment option as well, very handy as I carry very little cash on me.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 17:23   #8
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

For the past few years we have had the option of coins, phone and card, but this past twelve months the councils have been sneakily changing over the machines one by one. It certainly seems a crazy idea to totally take away the coin option and introduce these card only machines, I reckon they are at least a good two decades too early.

I can see why these councils have adopted the idea, streamlining and finding effective ways to save them money, they don't care how difficult they are making it for the older non techie age group. I guest these new card machines no longer need emptying, no more threat of the old coin machines being broken into, no more coins getting stuck which then renders the machine out of order. lol
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 17:54   #9
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

I suppose if one had time and inclination you could park,ignore the machine and leave a note on your windscreen to the effect the intructions wernt in your native language say Basque?? Be ok for our various Celtic citizens as well, I will let you know if I get any result, play the pensioner card as well,my wife has a walking stick and I wear glasses. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 18:13   #10
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I downloaded the parking app and paid by card on a recent visit to Newquay. Found it very good, with a reminder when time bought was running out.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote