Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th November 2008, 19:40   #11
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Corwen, unless I have missed something here I think you have jumped to a conclusion that the head gasket has failed but got no proof that this is the case. In which case you could be about to waste money by fixing something that isn't broken.

Your own description shows that the presence of mayo would more indicate that the engine needs a flush and a good run to help keep the condensation in your engine down. It does not automatically mean that the head gasket has failed.

I know of one case where a low mileage K series unit was losing coolant, there was mayo in the oil and it was just assumed that the gasket had failed. It was replaced and the coolant loss continued. Three times it went back and forth, until someone else took a look and found a hose was shot.

As Simon has stated earlier, take a logical set of steps first before committing yourself to what could turn out to be a waste of your own money. If it does turn out to be a failed gasket then at least you will know that the work is required - but don't jump to conclusions. And don't have the head skimmed - Rover advised this should not be done. You have said the temperature gauge hasn't moved so it is likely it has not warped and should be okay to re-use.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 19:42   #12
Corwen
Loves to post

ROVER 75 CLUB SE 1.8

theres 3 guys on ebay [good feedbacks] all around the west midlands, which is not too far away, prices range £300--350, one is including cam belt and water pump in the price, anyone used any of them ?
Corwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 19:57   #13
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

If you really think it is a failed gasket I would suggest you click here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/inde...page=directory

You will see we have an advert from a chap in the West Midlands called Jason. As a Land Rover technician he won awards and certainly knows his onions about the K Series unit. Please remember that like any mobile service you may have to cover the cost of his fuel to come to you and the price quoted on the web page does not include this.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 20:09   #14
Simon
Banned

-

Or, if you can travel south to Burton-Upon-Trent area, there is a garage by a well-respected mechanic, Austin Garages. He will tell you straight and proper what does and does not need fixing.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 20:38   #15
Corwen
Loves to post

ROVER 75 CLUB SE 1.8

advice duelly taken, but i think for my peace of mind i think i will phone jason [mobile landrover specilist]and arrange a gasket change, £300 ,if it only needed a flush,well its going to get that as well as a dependable gasket, and not a cooked engine.
Corwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 11:53   #16
cjmillsnun
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi & MGZT+ CDTi 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwen View Post
reached my machanic by phone, he said it would be advicable to have the head skimmed as he has done many HEAD GASKETS on the 75, is this being over zelous or is worth the precation [ and money]
I maintain over many years of experience with the K series engine that skimming a head is the absolute last resort. If the head face is flat DO NOT skim it. It will remove a hardness coating.
cjmillsnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 11:59   #17
cjmillsnun
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi & MGZT+ CDTi 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwen View Post
advice duelly taken, but i think for my peace of mind i think i will phone jason [mobile landrover specilist]and arrange a gasket change, £300 ,if it only needed a flush,well its going to get that as well as a dependable gasket, and not a cooked engine.

The original gasket is fine.

I ran a 1.8VVC engine in one of the most stressful environments that the K4 was ever fitted in (the MGF). The car was 8 years old when I sold it and on its original gasket that had not failed.

Get the water loss fixed, there are many reasons why water could be leaking, the HG failing (if it has) is just a consequence of that. Even the MLS gasket will go if subjected to water loss.
cjmillsnun is offline   Reply With Quote