Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th March 2017, 18:27   #1
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts
Default Looking for a different point of view on a near miss.

In this LINK there is a video of a near miss, posted on a bad drivers page on Facebook. There is a lady there, who is convinced the cam car is at fault, and I have asked as politely as possible (without becoming patronising), how she arrived at her thought. She believes the cam car was travelling too fast (and she would have been able to stop) as well as travelling close to the centre of the road.

I am open to have my point of view changed, but to me, the speed (which I believe was a 60 limit - although it was a wet road) is irrelevant, as the Ford Focus pulls out, in my view onto oncoming traffic. It is this point that I cannot get past. You force a car to either swerved or to brake suddenly, by pulling across your lane, means you are at fault (due car and attention - to reckless driving!)

I would be interested in your thoughts, especially from those who believe the cam car is in the wrong but explain to me why you think so please.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 18:32   #2
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
In this LINK there is a video of a near miss, posted on a bad drivers page on Facebook. There is a lady there, who is convinced the cam car is at fault, and I have asked as politely as possible (without becoming patronising), how she arrived at her thought. She believes the cam car was travelling too fast (and she would have been able to stop) as well as travelling close to the centre of the road.

I am open to have my point of view changed, but to me, the speed (which I believe was a 60 limit - although it was a wet road) is irrelevant, as the Ford Focus pulls out, in my view onto oncoming traffic. It is this point that I cannot get past. You force a car to either swerved or to brake suddenly, by pulling across your lane, means you are at fault (due car and attention - to reckless driving!)

I would be interested in your thoughts, especially from those who believe the cam car is in the wrong but explain to me why you think so please.
I can only point blame to the driver that pulled out at junction...and very slowly at that
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 18:32   #3
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

That's the problem with facebook, they'll let anybody have an account. the lady is mistaken

The focus driver is in the wrong - they obviously didn't even look
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 18:34   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

thanks guys, I cannot, no matter how I look at it, see her point of view and I AM trying to lol.

To me, the focus pulls out when the cam car is roughly 20-25 metres away likely closer to 50, but even at that, in my view it shouldnt have moved at all. lol

Old 4th March 2017, 18:52   #5
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

The focus driver has looked right, looked left, then not looked right again before pulling out.

Interesting name for a group, will have to have a look see if there's any (or many lol) of my kin being named and shamed
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 18:57   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Question one:- Why was the driver just about out over the White line. Answer:- looks like a country type road, rain puddles in side of road trying to miss them.Question two:- why did the other car pull out into a road from the left, because there is another useless idiot who thinks he can just pull out regardless of other traffic on the other road. Wonder whether he had been drinking/drugs/ not wearing their glasses, or just a complete numpty who should not be on the road.
Old 4th March 2017, 19:24   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Question one:- Why was the driver just about out over the White line. Answer:- looks like a country type road, rain puddles in side of road trying to miss them.Question two:- why did the other car pull out into a road from the left, because there is another useless idiot who thinks he can just pull out regardless of other traffic on the other road. Wonder whether he had been drinking/drugs/ not wearing their glasses, or just a complete numpty who should not be on the road.
question 1. they were at fault because they are driving in the middle of the road and were not in control of their car (camera car), waht if a cow or a child unexpectedly appeared in front of them.

question 2. We do not know what was behind the cam car, there may have been a mile long tail of traffic, so the Focus was trying to get out. Beisdes, the cam car should have slowed down and therefore would have been able to stop (this lady claims she would have been able to stop)

These are the arguments used to counter what you have said, which is basically what I commented with on Facebook.

I am genuinely trying to see it from her point of view, but I just cannot. Normally on these kinds of sites, it is just boy racers etc that respond with contradictory statements, which I tend to ignore. But this lady is convinced that the cam car has been at fault. I cannot get her logic at all. Although a comment she made later perhaps explains her logic.

she referred to another comment she made about a red car on her husband's post, which she said would explain her thoughts. I responded with 'I dont know who her husband was' , her reply? It was a previous comment and there was a link to youtube. A link to the comment, or even her husbands name would have helped lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.mc.g View Post
The focus driver has looked right, looked left, then not looked right again before pulling out.

Interesting name for a group, will have to have a look see if there's any (or many lol) of my kin being named and shamed
That's my thinking, looking right, left and then pulling out without confirming right again. Nothing malicious, or illegal, just simply a blank moment.

I initially looked through the group looking for myself or anyone I knew too lol.

Last edited by clf; 4th March 2017 at 19:27..
Old 4th March 2017, 19:27   #8
Graham E
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTI

My Opinion

The car waiting in the junction is clearly in view of the camera car, Does the camera car have headlights on (I would have considering the weather) Regardless of the camera cars speed the driver of the camera car does not appear to anticipate the car in the junction doing what they did as there does not appear to be any reduction in speed prior to the car pulling out.

The car in the junction clearly has not seen the camera car until the last moment.

I guess at least the stopped.

However in my opinion the car in the junction is in the wrong for pulling out. No if's no buts.

The camera car driver can only really be at fault for maybe not having lights on making themselves more visible and not anticipating the danger.

However the camera car driver does appear to be driving near the middle of the road which is something I would do to make myself more visible on roads like this.
Graham E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 19:33   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham E View Post
My Opinion

The car waiting in the junction is clearly in view of the camera car, Does the camera car have headlights on (I would have considering the weather) Regardless of the camera cars speed the driver of the camera car does not appear to anticipate the car in the junction doing what they did as there does not appear to be any reduction in speed prior to the car pulling out.

The car in the junction clearly has not seen the camera car until the last moment.

I guess at least the stopped.

However in my opinion the car in the junction is in the wrong for pulling out. No if's no buts.

The camera car driver can only really be at fault for maybe not having lights on making themselves more visible and not anticipating the danger.

However the camera car driver does appear to be driving near the middle of the road which is something I would do to make myself more visible on roads like this.
thanks for that Graham. Any reduction in speed may not be visible with the field of view, although if there was on the approach, it would have been minimal, also, the camera has a higher viewpoint than the driver too, so the cam car driver may not even have seen the focus (although they should have).

At 5 seconds in, there is a reflection of headlights on the focus as the cam car swerves, so I would suggest the cam car did indeed have its lights on.

I would tend to drive (I call it leaning) to the centre of the road, more to avoid the puddles catching on the wheels, pulling me towards the ditch. It does have the benefit of making you more visible too.

Old 4th March 2017, 19:43   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I don't think you can always discount speed. In this case I don't think the speed of the camera car is reason enough for the focus driver not to be blamed. I would say the camera car was visible early enough before the focus pulled out. It may also have been as well the camera car was over to the right as it increased their chance of missing the focus, I also feel it is good practice where safe to move off to one side for that very reason. Blame the Focus driver

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote