Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th August 2013, 20:29   #1
Grahame Rob
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTI

Default Auto dim mirror wiring help needed please

I tried to fit a auto dim mirror today but failed. I had a look on the postes on here and thought I would give it ago. Trouble started when I took the a pillar cover of an fount the white plug near the dash mine only has 14 pins with 8 in use not like anything I have read on here

all the colours and positions of the pins are not the same as How To's. I got out the multimeter and found that pins 7 & 9 are permenent live, 11 is switched live, 1, 2, and 6 push out .02 volts all the time.
I am totaly confused at which wires I connect to which wires on the mirror plug

If anybody has come across this wiring or know what goes where I would be most greatful.
Old 11th August 2013, 20:57   #2
Duotone
This is my second home

In your white plug will be a black wire. Connect the black from the mirror to this black.
Some members have connected the black from the mirror to an earth point located behind the interior light.

Use a test meter to find a ignition live. Connect the white/yellow to this ignition live.

You can use your meter to find the connector that has the reverse live by selecting reverse and switching on the ignition.

A few members have not bothered with the reverse connection. The mirror will work fine without it.

pin 3 = Ground (earth) black cable.
pin 11 = ignition live. white/yellow cable.
pin 12 = reverse live. Green/brown cable.

These are the pin connections in the white plug but always check with a meter.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 21:25   #3
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Default Auto dim mirror wiring.

I have been looking at my wiring already fitted earlier today, as I don't believe the dimming is working. I don't get the green tinting.

I have found at least three variations on the wiring.
Auto's are different to manuals and there are differences before the facelift and after.

I have taken 20 photos of the " A" pillar loose lead connector and it's other half coming from under the fascia. This is very tight and I can't get a good view like yours.

I have compared your picture of the tight block connector with my loose one (both white connectors) but the wires don't match up. I have 8 wires entering my "loose half of the block", whereas you appear to have 7, but in different positions.

Sorry, but I don't know how to insert a photo.

Your three mirror wires should be - Black earth.
Yellow - live when reverse is selected
Other - live all the time

I will have a look in the morning to get as near a similar photo as I can to yours. I will also have a look on the "How to's for adding a photo.

I will be back tomorrow.

Geoff
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 06:21   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post

Your three mirror wires should be - Black earth.
Yellow - live when reverse is selected
Other - live all the time

Geoff
The above is incorrect you will not achieve auto dimming with constant power to the green brown ( other)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duotone View Post

A few members have not bothered with the reverse connection. The mirror will work fine without it.

Ground (earth) black cable.
ignition live. white/yellow cable.
reverse live. Green/brown cable.

Dave T
The above is correct ( Pin positions vary from black connector plugs and white connector plugs AND some plugs are not fully populated so you have to find another source )

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 06:33   #5
Duotone
This is my second home

When it comes to the white plug I don't think you can rely on the wire colours matching up.

The only sure way is with a meter to find the ignition live.

As I said many people when fitting the auto dimming mirror don't bother with the reverse signal.

Also they use an earth point near the mirror. This makes it so you only have to find one connection, the ignition live..

To check if your auto dimming mirror is working cover the front sensor on the mirror and shine a torch onto the sensor located in the mirror glass.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 06:53   #6
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

This was my experience with fitting one.

It was a doddle to do thanks to ml.williams How To, with the valuable foot note from Wideload.

How-To Retrofit the Autodimming rear-view mirror

When I got the dimming mirror from the scrap yard, I was also able to remove the wiring harness too, so for me it was just a case of locating the extra cables and transplanting them to the existing loom of my car.

As I found my car had the white connector, it was white with yellow on pin 11 (ignition live), and green with brown on pin 12 (reverse gear live).

This picture shows the A pillar connector from the donor car at the scrappy that had dimming mirror and rain sensing wipers, the connector to the right was my ZT-T with cables for the interior lighting only.

..and below is the A pillar connector once I had added the white with yellow & green with brown wires.

Like ml.williams, I didn't need to run a black (Pin 3) Earth wire, as the one already there for the interior lights was already being used, so I just spliced into that at the light connector end (first wire)

This is where you will find the white (or black) multipin connector which has all the wiring ready to connect to, at the base of the A pillar cover

Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 08:21   #7
Grahame Rob
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTI

Thanks people. I have tried it with a battery and it works now so will fit it tonight after work. Am I right in thinking the wire for reverse can be left alone or wire it to the reverse switch if I want.
Old 12th August 2013, 09:09   #8
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Rob View Post
Thanks people. I have tried it with a battery and it works now so will fit it tonight after work. Am I right in thinking the wire for reverse can be left alone or wire it to the reverse switch if I want.
If you connect the reverse feed wire, when the mirror is dimmed and you select reverse, it restores it to an un dimmed state.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 21:33   #9
Grahame Rob
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTI

Thanks for the help people I have fitted the mirror tonight and went for a run to test it. I works great I even found myself slowing down to let cars behind get close enough to test it. Once again Thanks everyone
Old 20th August 2021, 15:11   #10
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Thank you!!

Just to say thank you for all the posts about the auto dimming rear view mirror. I tackled doing one on my car today and it works! Thank you so much for all the posts, it made my life so much easier and is appreciated.
I attached my mirror earth wire to a thread hole in the light bracket rather than hitching it another earth wire.
Thank you again,
Bob

Last edited by Bob Walker; 20th August 2021 at 15:12.. Reason: Typo
Bob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote