Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th January 2024, 14:53   #1
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default KV6 reluctant to start, things and don't laugh! But you will!

Dear All
i hope you are all well.
My ZT 190 isnt : (
Its very reluctant to start, this has got worse over the last few week and takes quite a few attempts to get it going (a bit like me!!), reading the forum suggestions have been the cam sensor which I swopped yesterday with a new one from DMGRS, this made even more reluctant to tick over once it had warmed up! Swopped the old one back at lunch time yesterday and at least it managed to tick over once it did start!
Got an new set of coils, replaced four of them then dropped my extension and socket down the back of the engine!! I can hear you all laughing all the way from North Yorkshire at this stage!! Just now, out of interest, I tried to start it and after many goes it did eventually tick over. Until I have left it for 5 minutes of so, as soon as you put your foot on the accelerator it dies!! Once warmed up, the engine starts first time and revs freely. Now I know how to get to the back plugs out I will replace them all when my magnets socket turns up tomorrow!
The other issue is the thermostat which leaks, if it doesn't rain this weekend I will do this (not the key hole method which ripped me to shreds last time!!), and I think the coolant sensor is kaput, as as soon as I start the car it reaches normal running temperature! Is the coolant sensor the source of all my troubles?? At least when I jack the car up to take off the under-tray off I can give the car an oil change and retrieve my tools!!!
Any suggestions and sarcastic comments welcome!!
Best wishes to all
Thawed out Yorkshire Bob : )

Last edited by Bob Walker; 17th January 2024 at 15:51.. Reason: typo
Bob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2024, 18:19   #2
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Walker View Post
I think the coolant sensor is kaput, as as soon as I start the car it reaches normal running temperature! Is the coolant sensor the source of all my troubles??
Hi Bob,

Yes, I think the coolant sensor could well be the cause. The ECU uses this information to control the fueling. If it thinks the engine is at operating temperature when its actually cold, it'll be providing insufficient fuel for a start up.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2024, 18:24   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Sounds like you need to spend some time in the " V " i think. Once you get organised with parts and tools you can do the lot together. If your not doing the keyhole method then renew the inlet manifold gaskets as well whilst in there. If the temp gauge is receiving a message for a fully warmed up engine,then i suppose the mixture settings will suffer from a dodgy temperature sender. Renew that as well whilst in the "v" Crankshaft sensor can give erratic starts but should show on the rev counter nudging up and down, but your first port of call is in the "v" ... which wants sorting regardless ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2024, 19:28   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I think the coolant sensor is kaput, as as soon as I start the car it reaches normal running temperature!
This has to be the first thing to tackle Bob, as Matt and Stefan have already said.
Quote:
The other issue is the thermostat which leaks ...
To clarify, the common fault here is flattening of the 'O' ring seals due to incorrectly set serrated clips on the straight pipe. All you'll need is four CDU 3858 seals which I recommend that you buy from an X-Part agent because the dimensions are critical.
You'll need to remove just one of the inlet manifolds so have a new gasket standing by and observe the torque setting for the bolts.
Please refer to my historic posts on how to set the serrated clips correctly or send me a PM if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Simon
Old 18th January 2024, 05:26   #5
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Thank you and torque setting for inlet manifold

Dear All
Many thanks for all your help and support.
Am I correct in thinking the torque settings for the aluminum inlet manifold bolts are 25Nm?
Very best wishes to all
Bob

Last edited by Bob Walker; 18th January 2024 at 05:34..
Old 18th January 2024, 07:22   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Am I correct in thinking the torque settings for the aluminium inlet manifold bolts are 25Nm?
Yes Bob.
If you haven't done it this way before, you'll need a selection of 3/8" drive wobble extensions to reach some of them.

Simon

P.S. As an aside, I think your computer needs the language setting changing from American to English.
Old 28th January 2024, 17:25   #7
Bob Walker
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Starting problem and thermostat

Good evening everyone.
I thought I should give you all an update.
So today, I decided to tackle my starting problem and coolant leak.
Before I started this this afternoon, I got on the roof and fixed the mortar that had come out and then I started on the car. I thought today would be a good day as the forecast is not so good for the rest of the week!
I changed the coolant sensor and thermostat, got them out okay but could I get the tube behind the thermostat back, no! Fiddled around with it for an hour or so and noticed that DMGRS provided some spare o-rings, swapped it and hey presto all back together again in half an hour!! I did remove the throttle and battery box which meant I don't rip my arm to shreds like I did last time!!
Starts first time and the coolant temperature is no longer immediately half way up the gauge before its warmed up! Hopefully the drive to work tomorrow morning will be trouble free!!
At 64 my kids think I am on some special medication or steroids or both, I haven't stopped till it went very dark and I have even washed up after tea!
Thanks for all the advice and support, it is appreciated, just have the rest of the car to sort out!
Bob
Old 28th January 2024, 18:14   #8
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur, MG TF 80th Anniversary

Coolant temperature failure, especially intermittent or 'non-complete' failure (i.e. it's faulty but still provides some signal) can definitely cause big running and starting issues, as per my thread here:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=325004&page=4

Glad your issues seem to have improved.
TomTheTyke is offline   Reply With Quote