Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th July 2008, 16:03   #1
afcbadam
Gets stuck in

2004 MG ZS 180

Default trading standards.

is there a limit / number of times a car can go back to the garage in a year before been deemed 'not fit for its purpose' i thought it was 3 times in a year or in the warranty period before i am entitled to a full refund of what i paid for the car.

i ask this as this is the 4th time in a month mine has been back (yes i said that correctly)

www.themgzs.co.uk

Inner wing open cone
Oil catch tank
Janspeed cat back
Janspeed de-cat
Reidy Re-mapped
afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 16:12   #2
JamesP
Loves to post

Rover 75 ConnSE CDTi 131 Starlight Silver

Your best best is to talk to Trading Standards, and just incase you purchased the car using a Motor Dealers finance company contact them as well as they are the owners until the final payment is made.:lol:

I just thought I would add under the sale of goods act it is for the dealer to prove that the fault with the car wasn't there at point of sale, after 6 months it is down to you to prove the fault.

Depending on how long you have owned the car a full refund may not apply as wear & tear needs to be taken into account.

Trading Standards will be able to help you.

James

Last edited by JamesP; 17th July 2008 at 16:23..
JamesP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 16:22   #3
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcbadam View Post
is there a limit / number of times a car can go back to the garage in a year before been deemed 'not fit for its purpose' i thought it was 3 times in a year or in the warranty period before i am entitled to a full refund of what i paid for the car.

i ask this as this is the 4th time in a month mine has been back (yes i said that correctly)
Four times! you call that a lot. Mines been back at least 8 times and had 4 head gaskets and a new head not to mention a water pump and now a new (metal) manifold. I am still not convinced that the one fitted now has not blown! Welcome to my world

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 16:47   #4
Villa Villan
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T 160 1.8T

Warranty firms are like puppeteers as they seem to have a string for every eventuality. When I had "possible and mabe still...I don't know?" Turbo problems they refused to investigate further as the service indicator on my Honey that I bought in January this year was not reset when she had her last service almost 9 months before I owned her...Giving them a get out of jail for free card...Warranty firm in pink and me in green with a lead pillow...I will say no more.

Good luck fella.

Cheers
Tony

Last edited by Villa Villan; 17th July 2008 at 16:50..
Villa Villan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 18:12   #5
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcbadam View Post

Is it the 4th time with the same fault? Can they not find out what's causing it? And subsequently fix it? How long have you owned it? As someone else said any faults that develop in the first 6 months of ownership are deemed to have been present at the point of sale and it's up to the seller to prove otherwise. Exceptions obviously include wear and tear.

Start quoting sales of goods act 1979 at them and contact trading standards. Document everything on paper.
Old 17th July 2008, 20:22   #6
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Try looking at

Car Sales & Repairs
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 21:05   #7
afcbadam
Gets stuck in

2004 MG ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterchick View Post
Is it the 4th time with the same fault? Can they not find out what's causing it? And subsequently fix it? How long have you owned it? As someone else said any faults that develop in the first 6 months of ownership are deemed to have been present at the point of sale and it's up to the seller to prove otherwise. Exceptions obviously include wear and tear.

Start quoting sales of goods act 1979 at them and contact trading standards. Document everything on paper.
the faults are all very similar apart from the head gasket going. they have never really sorted the problem just improved it a bit every time, although its now smoking like a refinery on start up. i have owned it a month and a half now so you can see why i want to do something about it. the first fault started about a week after i brought it. if they cant fix it i want a refund. i took out the best warranty they done which covers everything on the car even speakers and wiper motors cd changer things like that

www.themgzs.co.uk

Inner wing open cone
Oil catch tank
Janspeed cat back
Janspeed de-cat
Reidy Re-mapped
afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote