Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th May 2017, 14:32   #21
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

It wasn't after all solved.

It seemed to be a case of empty the collected oil out of the breather and it would run fine until it filled up again, then it was back to smoke and burning oil again.

I have now had several goes at it from the outside and now I am thinking it must be bore wear allowing too much blow by. I have priced up a rebore at £40, but he says I would have to source the oversized parts so I have emailed B&S to ask them - still awaiting their reply.

In the mean time I have been looking at buying a second hand one, which might prove the better bet and temporary fixes to tide us over...

A temporary fix I came up with, was an oil catch tank, which I made up this afternoon. Basically a jam jar, filled with a metal pan scrub, a long pipe going to the bottom from the breather unit, then a short pipe just entering the jar, feeding on to the middle of the air filter.

The jar catches and condenses any oil it blows out and prevents it from being fed into the engine intake and choking it. I just sealed the pipes into holes drilled in the lid, with hot melt glue.

It ran a solid hour after that, without a hiccup and so far the jar shows no oil having been collected at all. That is it ran fine once I had cleared the plug fouled with oil and carbon from the previous problems.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 20:25   #22
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

If it was Blow By it would collect oil all of the time wouldn't it Harry ??

You have a strange problem there.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 21:06   #23
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
If it was Blow By it would collect oil all of the time wouldn't it Harry ??

You have a strange problem there.---
Yes, I agree - but it is not collecting any oil, whereas the intake was absolutely flooded with oil. (no, my pipes are not kinked stopping the flow).

The blow by doesn't seem to be much, nor much pressure - exactly as I first stated. The problem still seems to be the amount of oil thrown up with the little pressure there is, blowing that out through the breather system and into the intake. I have found a parts diagram, that doesn't seem to show any method to deflect the oil from being thrashed at the breather.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 11th May 2017, 21:15   #24
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Surely this should be in the Social forum as it has nothing whatsoever to do with the cars
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 06:13   #25
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Surely this thread should be in the technology section as it has nothing to do with being social.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 08:10   #26
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Surely this should be in the Social forum as it has nothing whatsoever to do with the cars
It is in the social forum

There is no absolutely correct forum to post it, but it is related to engines, so of interest to many..

Old 12th May 2017, 08:49   #27
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
It is in the social forum

There is no absolutely correct forum to post it, but it is related to engines, so of interest to many..
It is now after a moderator moved it, as its non Rover/ZT related, it belongs in social
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote