Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd September 2020, 07:37   #11
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzer View Post
Hi colleagues, how do I open the right back door if they can't open from either side? Thank you for the advice.
Remove the black cap and screw from the inner door pull and ease the door pull out. See if the cable to door pull hook has broken. If it has, you can pull the inner cable with pliers to open the door. See pics on above post for what may have happened. The outer catch link rod may have come out of its white grip if it's not opening from the outside either.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 3rd September 2020 at 07:39..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2023, 14:21   #12
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Default Superglue & baking soda!!

Just repaired a snapped door lock cable hook with baking soda and superglue, no idea how long it will last but suprised it actually works and seems solid! The hook had snapped so glued it back togethor using this method.

Superglue on its own would not hold so i added small amounts of bicarbonate of soda followed by dripping superglue on and repeat to build it up, it apparently tougher than steel according to the youtube videos i have seen where this method is used to repair all kinds of broken things!

Photo:

"You have exceeded the number of files allowed to you"

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2023, 14:28   #13
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retap View Post
Just repaired a snapped door lock cable hook with baking soda and superglue, no idea how long it will last but suprised it actually works and seems solid! The hook had snapped so glued it back together using this method.

Superglue on its own would not hold so i added small amounts of bicarbonate of soda followed by dripping superglue on and repeat to build it up, it apparently tougher than steel according to the youtube videos i have seen where this method is used to repair all kinds of broken things!
Learn something new every day. Hope it stays in the memory bank and will accessible in the future.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2023, 14:41   #14
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

only just seen this thread. My drivers door went same not opening from the inside because the cable hook snap so was no longer attached to the interior handle.

my emergency fix was a boot lace tied to the cable as the stump of the hook stopped the lace sliding off.

my final fix was a piece of a wire coat hanger to tied around the cable but held on by the hook stump and the other end of the small section of wire coat hanger was tied around the interior door handle.
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2023, 15:41   #15
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Just repaired a snapped door lock cable hook with baking soda and superglue, no idea how long it will last but suprised it actually works and seems solid! The hook had snapped so glued it back togethor using this method.

"You have exceeded the number of files allowed to you"
I used that method to rebuild a hinge on a large thermos pot last year and it's still holding.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2023, 16:18   #16
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

Quote:
I've also seen that done with cigarette ash and superglue. I don't smoke but I could always raid a few pub garden ashtrays I guess if I was out of baking soda.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2023, 17:03   #17
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Learn something new every day. Hope it stays in the memory bank and will accessible in the future.
Kev

Saved in long term storage, no gauruntees like as address space is limited
The really boggling thing is when ya stick fingers togethor with superglue its stick fingers in baking soda in water to unstick them which works well given time. Saw that on a 24 hours in A+E show once got me out of some sticky trouble too!

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels
Old 5th September 2023, 17:10   #18
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
only just seen this thread. My drivers door went same not opening from the inside because the cable hook snap so was no longer attached to the interior handle.

my emergency fix was a boot lace tied to the cable as the stump of the hook stopped the lace sliding off.

my final fix was a piece of a wire coat hanger to tied around the cable but held on by the hook stump and the other end of the small section of wire coat hanger was tied around the interior door handle.

There are a number of ways to go about this, i was looking at similiar as you did or maybe a picture frame hook and aluminium cable crimp then remebered the superglue trick and thought would try it first...we'll see how long!

Did 600 miles last weekend on a road trip in a ZTT i bought cheap few months ago and went to get out the car at around 500 miles at a garage to top up the tank and drivers door said nope we are enjoying this to much the driver must stay where he is, i was not impressed already seathing from road closures and diversions.

Old 5th September 2023, 17:12   #19
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I used that method to rebuild a hinge on a large thermos pot last year and it's still holding.

Thats cool, we really are a throw away lot if we dont put our mind to things more practicle! I am going to repair some snapped internal plastic screw holes doing similiar i think using some blue tack as a mold.

Old 5th September 2023, 23:33   #20
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

You could always follow the link in this thread post 25

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=122266&page=3

And post 7 above.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/