Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th February 2013, 15:38   #31
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

'54 Black MG ZT CDTi + 160

Plenum check - Check!

Managed to wiggle time around so that I got home in the light (and dry, thankfully!) to check the plenum.

It seems it had possibly been checked in the past, as the first clip that needs to be prized out was missing, and the 3 around the windscreen had obviously been out before.

The trim all came off well, and I bought the 15mm pipe spring on my way home (£2.99!)

Whan the plenum was revealed - there was a fair bit of water present, I couldn't exactly tell, but it must have been 5-6cm up the filter, but the good news is that it was not near the electrics or ECU.

The drain can't have been 'that' blocked, as a light poke cleared it and the water ran free.

It gushed out onkly for approx 30 secs max, not one of these horror stories of 2 minutes etc!

Mine is a MK2 - so am I right in thinking there is only the 1 side to do?

I did look under the cover on the drivers side, there was a tiny bit of water, 1mm max, but I couldn't see anywhere to drain that.

My next question - as there wasn't that much water present in the plenum- will something else have caused the torrent on my left foot this morning?
coolasacucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 16:17   #32
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasacucumber View Post
Plenum check - Check!

Managed to wiggle time around so that I got home in the light (and dry, thankfully!) to check the plenum.

It seems it had possibly been checked in the past, as the first clip that needs to be prized out was missing, and the 3 around the windscreen had obviously been out before.

The trim all came off well, and I bought the 15mm pipe spring on my way home (£2.99!)

Whan the plenum was revealed - there was a fair bit of water present, I couldn't exactly tell, but it must have been 5-6cm up the filter, but the good news is that it was not near the electrics or ECU.

The drain can't have been 'that' blocked, as a light poke cleared it and the water ran free.

It gushed out onkly for approx 30 secs max, not one of these horror stories of 2 minutes etc!

I did look under the cover on the drivers side, there was a tiny bit of water, 1mm max, but I couldn't see anywhere to drain that.

My next question - as there wasn't that much water present in the plenum- will something else have caused the torrent on my left foot this morning?
If the plenum wasn't draining quickly enough then after a heavy shower it may still have been enough for force some into the cabin. Assuming it was clear water and not coolant then it's likely to be that I would guess.
Old 14th February 2013, 16:33   #33
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:

There's two tubes, one below the Brake Servo, the other is located below the ECU. The later type tubes have a cap on the bottom, cut this off at a 45 degree angle. Maintain both drains on the car, it's essential with a diesel..
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 17:04   #34
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
If the plenum wasn't draining quickly enough then after a heavy shower it may still have been enough for force some into the cabin. Assuming it was clear water and not coolant then it's likely to be that I would guess.
Yes, it looked to be clear water - so here's hoping that clearing the drains will cure the problem. I bet my face was a picture as it was happening...

'Waterfall' was not one of my preferred ZT options...

I guess I'll just have to play a waiting game to see if it happens again!
Old 16th February 2013, 17:14   #35
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

Mods - please could you change the thread title to - My Pearl Black '04 ZT CDTi + 135

Thank you. I'd like to change this into a bit of a project thread, and keep it up to date with all of the little things that I'll be doing.

Last edited by coolasacucumber; 4th April 2013 at 08:54..
Old 16th February 2013, 18:04   #36
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

So this afternoons job was to fit the new passenger side door lock actuator / solenoid etc.

Went reasonably well, apart from a few problems...

Following the guide on the forum I got to the stage of unscrewing the torx bolts, but the bottom one just wouldn't budge.I managed to snap my only T25 bit trying.

I had to close the door mid-way through the job to go and buy another. Cam home, and the passenger door wouldn't open! Tried all sorts of things, as a last resort I had to shove my hand around the back of the lock and inside, finally managed to pull the right lever, twice, to get the door to open.

I bought a good quality Draper torx driver - but even that wouldn't shift it. Giving up, I drove down to a local MOT garage, and he tried with his tools, and snapped a torx bit too!!!

He said the only way was to get an angle grinder on it, so, hesitantly, I agreed. To be fair to the chap - he was very good - and there is only a very minor mark on the paint, no damage to the door seal etc. It is literally a couple of mm's - so a tiny touch up will suffice.

I was then able to carry on and get it replaced.

With swapping it over - the catch that attaches to the exterior handle had moved. Meaning that when I reconected everything - the door wouldn't open from the outside!

Off with everything again, and adjusted it...

And now everything works again!! The passenger door locks & unlocks with the key fob, and opens both from inside & outside.

A big thanks to Sean @ Just 75 spares for the part, a good price and delivered pretty quickly.

The light beat me in the end, so I need to get the door card back on tomorrow. But - a couple of the catches etc are broken, so I'll need to order a few new ones.

Tomorrows other job is to try and get the air bag light off, hopefully change a duff brake light, fit swanky new number plates and dry the boot out!

Speaking to the previous owner, he had the rear lighst siliconed not long ago, but the boot is still pretty wet. I'm not sure whether it's still wet from then, or if the water is coming in from another way.

All good fun!
Old 19th February 2013, 19:14   #37
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Quote:
Mods - please could you change the thread title to - My Pearl Black '04 ZT CDTi + 135

Thank you. I'd like to change this into a bit of a prject thread, and keep it up to date with all of the little things that I'll be doing.
As requested
Old 19th February 2013, 20:34   #38
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

Thank you.

Been a busy day today, got lots done!

Started off having to hacksaw the old number plate screws off, they were completely rusted on!

Here's some 'during' pictures:-

Old 19th February 2013, 20:44   #39
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

Next I really needed to get a shave!

After about 5 minutes with a disposable razor gave some pretty incredible results I think!

Old 19th February 2013, 20:51   #40
coolasacucumber
Gets stuck in

I needed to get to the bottom of the leak in the boot. The lights had been pretty well sealed by the previous owner, so I tried other places.

It ended up being the bracket on the waist trim, drivers side, nearest the back of the car. Tightened that up and then it was fine.

Then I noticed there was some coming through the clips at the base of the rear screen. So I siliconed them all up as per the excellent 'How To' guide, very helpful!

Last edited by coolasacucumber; 4th April 2013 at 08:55..