Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th March 2010, 12:01   #1
Nelspeth
Regular poster

MG ZT190+

Default Putting a Cat-D back on the road??

Hi people, just been reading the thread about the ZT-T V8 that has been writen off, got me thinking.
Just been doing some research on Cat-D's am i right in thinking that as long as the vehicle is repaired, then inspected by an independant garage as long as it passes an MOT its fit for the road again??
Reason im asking is there are loads of ZR's (amongst others) on the Copart website for only a few ££'s only needing a wing or very minor work to get back on the road.
A repair like this would be half a days work for me and the mrs really wants a ZR...lol

Whats your thoughts????

Cheers..

Paul..
Nelspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 12:07   #2
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

I believe that Cat D just needs an MOT, and any other inspection isn't a legal requirement. However, the main problem with a car classified as a write off is getting insurance. Lots of companies won't touch them at all, so your choice is severely limited, and therefore more expensive.

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 12:19   #3
Nelspeth
Regular poster

MG ZT190+

I think if you could get a decent ZR on the road for next to nothing then paying a little more for insurance would not be a big deal! from what iv seen you could buy and repair a good ZR for a couple of hundred £!!
here
Looks like it just needs an O/S/F door, £50 from breakers and a good valet

Has anyone here got a Cat-D car that they drive??? would like to know how much more the insurance is on it.

Paul..
Old 11th March 2010, 12:23   #4
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Insurance wouldn't be a problem, you could get insured with a majority of insurers- just check the small print, most companies will insure you but will only pay out 1/3rd of book value. As above, yes just an mot needed and V5 may need to be applied for. Most cars cat d are very light damaged especially our cars I've seen a dented sill be a cat c write off...
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 12:34   #5
Nelspeth
Regular poster

MG ZT190+

With the car only costing very little in the first place i think i would only go 3rd party insurance anyway!!
Just phoned a couple of insurers 'AXA' and 'Tesco' they say "Computer says No" ill keep looking...lol

Paul..
Old 11th March 2010, 13:05   #6
Nelspeth
Regular poster

MG ZT190+

Adrianflux Insurance will insure a Cat-D vehicle and they dont put any extra on the policy because its a Cat-D!! just got a quote for my partner and she got a very reasonable price!!
This is lookin like a good way to get a nice car for very cheap!!

Paul...
Old 11th March 2010, 13:14   #7
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

My Tourer received a kick up the backside last year writing her of as a cat D. I bought her back and thanks to help from the club replaced the tailgate and had the bumper repaired and repainted and the only condition from the insurance company was a new MOT. To look at her now she is imaculate but i'll have to wait until August to see if i have any fun and games with insurance qoutes!
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 13:39   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I'ts either a cat c or cat d that needs a VIC as well, simply book it into a VOSA site and it takes around 20 mins and £36 last time I did it, then off you go

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 13:50   #9
Nelspeth
Regular poster

MG ZT190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
I'ts either a cat c or cat d that needs a VIC as well, simply book it into a VOSA site and it takes around 20 mins and £36 last time I did it, then off you go
From what iv read its a Cat-C that needs a VIC check, Cat-D just an MOT!!

Categories Of Write-Off

An explanation of the categories of write-off are listed below:
Category A
A vehicle which should have been totally crushed, including all its spare parts.
Category B
A vehicle from which spare parts may be salvaged, but the bodyshell should have been crushed and the car should never return to the road.
Category C
An extensively damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
Category D
A damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.
Category F
A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.
Theft
These vehicles have not been recovered and ownership rests with the insurer who made the total loss payment. They are able to repossess the car as soon as it is identified, even if it has been bought innocently.

Paul...
Old 11th March 2010, 14:06   #10
WIDE LOAD
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi, MGF 1.8i

I bought a Vauxhall carlton cdx years ago with every single extra you could imagine. Paid £1500, £200 on bits from the scrap yard and I had a car which cost £29500 when new 5 years earlier. I wrote it off 18 months later, good and proper but still got £2200 off the bloke who shunted me and they let me keep the car
WIDE LOAD is offline   Reply With Quote