Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th April 2013, 19:36   #1
Pumpwater
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Firefrost Red

Default SORN Problem, What can I Do?

I have bought a new Rover, and I have rejoined the Club. I am going to Southampton on Thursday to pick it up and I will tell the members all about it later. In the meantime I have a problem

I am using 24 hour temporary insurance to drive the car home, I still have my SAAB so I intend to leave my current insurance in place while I sell it and do a bit of work on the Rover at home. Under the new continuous insurance rules I will have to SORN it for 2-3 weeks, and as it is taxed until the end of June I have no choice but to apply for a refund (not allowed to SORN a taxed car). If then I want to deSORN the Rover from 1st May I will lose the refund as I will have retaxed it within 21 days of declaring SORN (just as well I didn't have to tax it for 6 months!)

These new rules are a NONSENSE, whatever I do I'm going to lose money, any ideas?
Old 9th April 2013, 19:42   #2
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Forget sorning it, by the time they will send you a letter out it will be back on the road!
Old 9th April 2013, 19:46   #3
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Sounds over complicated to me.

So long as you keep the Rover off the public highway, there is no requirement to insure it.

Leave the tax alone and transfer your insurance when you sell the SAAB. Providing you sell it before the Rover tax expires there will be no questions asked by DVLA or your insurers.

regards

boater
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 19:47   #4
hgv2
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

If you look at the garages selling cars these days many now include the TAX left on the car when it was traded in. This struck me as odd as the trade always used to claim any tax back. I asked a trader who told me "yes mate, that was in the good old days but they have changed it now, you can only claim a refund if you are the person who bought the tax disc in the first place, if not, no refund"
hgv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 20:16   #5
Pumpwater
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Firefrost Red

Thanks for the replies but that is not what the govt website says, if it is not SORNed it needs to be continuously insured, no exceptions except for motor traders. They compare their info with the insurance database & send out £100 fines by post. One site suggested they would give 14 days flexibility in this case but I couldn't find it on the govt website.
Old 9th April 2013, 20:42   #6
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Ahhh well we have a Skoda Felica parked on our field it was taxed but due to break down, rear suspension broke due to our wonderful well maintained roads, not insured then we got a threatening letter demanding it be insured or sorned.............................. no other options.

Velkom to Da Stat Komrade.
Old 9th April 2013, 20:51   #7
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgv2 View Post
If you look at the garages selling cars these days many now include the TAX left on the car when it was traded in. This struck me as odd as the trade always used to claim any tax back. I asked a trader who told me "yes mate, that was in the good old days but they have changed it now, you can only claim a refund if you are the person who bought the tax disc in the first place, if not, no refund"
Yes, and you will see many Ebay traders offering to sell you the unexpired tax at extra cost. This is a nonsense because they cannot surrender it for a refund in any case.

Mike
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 21:53   #8
Talago
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club SE Tourer 1969 Rover P6 3500 V8 1973 Rover P6 3500 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpwater View Post
....if it is not SORNed it needs to be continuously insured, no exceptions except for motor traders. They compare their info with the insurance database & send out £100 fines by post. One site suggested they would give 14 days flexibility in this case but I couldn't find it on the govt website.
This is true. Why not phone DVLA and explain your problem and ask for advice. I have done that in the past with the Northern Ireland equivalent (DVLNI) and found them helpful when I had to move a vehicle and temporarily swap cars etc.
Talago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 22:05   #9
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

I've heard they send a warning letter after about 3 Weeks giving you a few days to either insure or SORN the vehicle....
Old 9th April 2013, 22:59   #10
Scribbler.
Gets stuck in

Rover 75. Saloon. Red. V6. 2.5.

Is it really worth worrying over 1 months insurance? Just do it and bite the bullet. Mike
Scribbler. is offline   Reply With Quote