Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2021, 07:09   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Sarah Everard vigil

Sarah Everard vigil, Met police criticised for breaking it up.

The current situation is no mass gatherings, police in difficult position?
BBC web site has "The Metropolitan Police's handling of a vigil in south London to mourn Sarah Everard has been widely criticised across the political spectrum"

I have not hard much news,did any political party or MP come out and say let it go ahead before it went ahead?

Also on the BBC web site, The official vigil, which was being organised by Reclaim These Streets, had been called off earlier in the day due to police warnings over coronavirus restrictions

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 14th March 2021 at 07:21..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2021, 14:45   #2
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

The MET were definitely in a difficult position. Although public gatherings are illegal and even just going out without good reason is currently illegal there is nothing to say you can't all go for exercise and just happen to end up in the same place - as long as you socially distance etc. of course.
Difficult to see yet another woman murdered and understandable to want to protest. Ending up in a situation with photos of male coppers holding down young women protesting the murder (allegedly at this stage) of a young woman by a male copper is not a good look. Perhaps they could have sent along a just few female police and nicely asked them to disperse. If it had worked good (and a miracle), if not well lots would have complained they weren't doing their job.
Next week a bill is going through Parliament apparently further empowering the Police's powers to act against any peaceful protest. Boris and the Conservatives popularity ratings have surged lately so I guess that sort of thing (plus increasing our stock of US nuclear warheads and giving the NHS an effective pay-cut) is what we all want. I'm a raving old lefty so appreciate my babblings are in the minority
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2021, 17:20   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

great advert for the women, staged I wonder. Lets do something we shouldn't, the police will become involved and we can stir up a whole heap of poo.
cynical?

macfee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 05:33   #4
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

This poor woman's murder had been hijacked by extremists men haters . They will have you believe women get murdered every day on every corner . Hermafredites.
Old 15th March 2021, 07:09   #5
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by It runs View Post
This poor woman's murder had been hijacked by extremists men haters . They will have you believe women get murdered every day on every corner . Hermafredites.
That’s a bit harsh, there are probably more women get attacked than is actually reported, some women don’t report attacks because they are attacked by partners or people they know. Some don’t report because they think it’s pointless and they won’t be taken seriously and nothing will be done. Also saying they were extremist men haters makes men out to be women haters.
Old 15th March 2021, 09:51   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
great advert for the women, staged I wonder. Lets do something we shouldn't, the police will become involved and we can stir up a whole heap of poo.
cynical?

macfee2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
That’s a bit harsh, there are probably more women get attacked than is actually reported, some women don’t report attacks because they are attacked by partners or people they know. Some don’t report because they think it’s pointless and they won’t be taken seriously and nothing will be done. Also saying they were extremist men haters makes men out to be women haters.

I agree with Rich.
The police could of easy just asked the protesters there name and address, fined each one etc, let them protest in piece, yes they should not be gathering due to C19 rules, but yet again look at the Rangers fans, and their gathering to mark winning the league

Why didn't the police break that mass gathering up, they were also egged on by the manger & the players, again personally i think they should have been dropped from the top, to make an example of them, just my opinion.

So both gatherings were and are wrong just one life taken because of them mixing by C19 is not worth it surely.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 14:47   #7
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

There is also the universal problem of reporting a crime. If you are the witness (or victim), are you prepared to go all the way and stand up in court.

It is easy to point the finger (real or fake) but you do have to be prepared to take it all the way.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 15:49   #8
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
but yet again look at the Rangers fans, and their gathering to mark winning the league Why didn't the police break that mass gathering up, they were also egged on by the manger & the players, again personally i think they should have been dropped from the top, to make an example of them, just my opinion.
Police attended, close to 30 arrests were made as well as numerous fines issued. Apparently Police took the decision not to try to force them to disperse as it may have made a bad situation worse turning an illegal gathering into a confrontation. I do agree with the criticism of the club's response. The club tweeted on numerous occasions during the incident but not once did they tell the fans to disperse and go home.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 16:05   #9
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

seems alright for police to watch when statues are pulled down. the police never wanted this vigil to go ahead. it was all too embarassing for them. lets get back to policing the streets properly on foot. we are the only ones in europe at least as far as i know that you very rarely see a bobby on foot these days in every city centre. i have not seen any in leicester for years now. motorist is always priority.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote