Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th April 2021, 19:00   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Maybe RAVE is wrong. Anyway, let us know how you get on with tracing the short circuit.

Simon
Old 25th April 2021, 20:37   #12
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Well, it is what it is... I am not crazy and I can tell you, when that fuse blows up, passenger seat won't move, for the short period of time when the fuse holds up, passenger seat moves normally, but when it blows, I've got no heated seats, and neither passenger side electric seat controls
Is it possible that someone before you has altered the wiring ?
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2021, 21:58   #13
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Is it possible that someone before you has altered the wiring ?
Very unlikely, I have the full service history of the car and no similar work has been done on it. And even if so, why would somebody do this? I've had this car for about 5-6 years now and it's the first time this happens. And, as far as I recall, I have read about one guy on another forum in my situation too, he also had fuse n. 25 blown, and it made his passenger side electric seat cease to work everytime the fuse would pack out. Although he didn't write further how he resolved it.

Just to backtest it, could anyone of you guys take out the heated seats fuse out and see if it affects the passenger side electric seat too? This way I can determined if the wiring's been altered and be sure that it happens only in my case or not.

Could it be that, if the passenger electric seat is also wired through this fuse instead of the heated seats only, that the amperage is higher than normal because of this and this would be the cause? Anyway, even if so, I can't think why it held up like this for all the years I've had the car and it gave up only now

Last edited by Rsnail; 25th April 2021 at 22:02..
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2021, 22:50   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Wish I could help but no heated seats.--I expect somebody will read your post soon and be able to help.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2021, 01:00   #15
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Very unlikely, I have the full service history of the car and no similar work has been done on it. And even if so, why would somebody do this? I've had this car for about 5-6 years now and it's the first time this happens. And, as far as I recall, I have read about one guy on another forum in my situation too, he also had fuse n. 25 blown, and it made his passenger side electric seat cease to work everytime the fuse would pack out. Although he didn't write further how he resolved it.

Just to backtest it, could anyone of you guys take out the heated seats fuse out and see if it affects the passenger side electric seat too? This way I can determined if the wiring's been altered and be sure that it happens only in my case or not.

Could it be that, if the passenger electric seat is also wired through this fuse instead of the heated seats only, that the amperage is higher than normal because of this and this would be the cause? Anyway, even if so, I can't think why it held up like this for all the years I've had the car and it gave up only now

OK, I'm playing about with, restoring, a free 75 I got, 2005 heated and electric seats RHD, but don't think a LHD seat wiring would be different.

Hopefully in the next couple of days I'll determine, by testing, not by the book, which is the seat heater fuse and if blown (removed) affects either seat adjustments.
Old 26th April 2021, 08:27   #16
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Link to the guy that had the same problem as me and he mentioned that the passenger electric seat won't move as long as the heated seats aren't working too.
Old 26th April 2021, 09:03   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Thanks for posting the link Galambosi. It's interesting but unfortunately inconclusive.

I'd say you can proceed with trying to trace the short circuit. Observation is a much under-rated tool so inspect all the wiring under the seat carefully and separate the connector from the heating element (I gave you the colours earlier). You can also isolate the passenger side heating switch in case that's the cause. Let us know how things progress.

Simon
Old 26th April 2021, 10:18   #18
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Your issue will be the seat thermostats, Mr Doodles had the same issue on his 190 years ago, changed the seat stat and it’s still doing its job today.
Old 26th April 2021, 20:31   #19
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

OK as promised I had a look today, the car is an 05 connie CDTI tourer, elec and heated seats.

The seat movement supply is live all the time and not ignition controlled, the seat heater supply is ignition controlled.

In the glovebox fusebox, fuse 49 is for the heated seats, 51 is marked up as seat memory, fuse 53 is also marked up as seat memory.

With fuse 49 removed, the seat heaters don't work but both seats work OK.

With 51 removed both seats work when using the handles, I didn't try the memory function.

With fuse 53 removed the seats didn't work

Fuses 51 & 53 removed singly or both at once the heaters work OK, so there appears to be no connection on this car between the seat movement and heater circuits.
Old 26th April 2021, 21:58   #20
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

So we definitely have different fuse panels in the cars, my fuse numbers don't even go up to 50 haha, I think the biggest number is about 30-35 at max. And I know for a fact there are atleast 2 different types of fuse panels for our cars, so maybe that could change these variables too, I don't know if it has to do with built year or if it's an LHD or RHD vehicle. But anyways, this coming weekend I'll start investigating and will let everyone know what I find. In the meantime, would it also be necessary to remove the seat base leather cover? If so, can anyone give me some tips and maybe even photos that would help? Thanks a lot! I just want to be prepared before doing this and saving some head scratches haha